BMW and M Power Owners

Transmission breaker
Don
Soldato
had it been under 6/60K what would a bmw insured warranty cost for 330e versus a petrol ? as an indication of how bmw perceives maintenance needs

Soldato
From what I read (possibly american) they said it was the same price
OK , outside warranty, a 'e' reservation I've seen is that skills to analyse the electric side are probably exclusive to bmw dealerships.

for circa £20K why not a full electric ID3/rwd - especially if talking bm saloon, I need to change my touring and whilst the long loading area would be a miss,
i4's are not cheap/old enough yet, I don't want an suv, & anyway maintenance costs/insurance on a ipace/eq* put me off.
(absence of pre-conditioning on id3 is a b-mol though)

Soldato
Update after a 9 hour round trip to drive this AUC M2 Competition.

Negatives

I'll start with the possible deal-breaker which I need advice on. The service after the initial running in service, which involved engine oil and microfilter, is flagging as amber in iDrive as it was carried out 2 months late. Every other service beyond this point is green and every service has been carried out via the same dealer, Inchcape Ipswich BMW.

Pictures below (there are more services beyond this point):

ZO1wDQZ.jpeg

Bm4sLe2.jpeg

It's worth highlighting that BMW clearly don't see this as an issue because it's an Approved Used car, rather than BMW Used. Furthermore, it looks like this late service was under the original owner who had the car for 3 years and 24 days, first registered 28.02.2019.

I've asked for Inchcape BMW for more detail on why it was carried out late and if this will be an issue going forward (fully expecting them to say no as otherwise it wouldn't be an Approved Used car). Am I overthinking this or is it a serious issue? Would you walk away?

The only other negatives are one of the rear arch PPFs was missing - asked them to sort. A couple of stone chips on the bonnet and bumper (to be expected as it's a 2019 car) - they will try to touch up as best as possible.

Positives

The colour - it's absolutely stunning. It looks even more impressive in person and works so well with the black parts. The orange stitching in the cabin really tops it off. It feels special. Sunset Orange + orange stitching on the Dakota leather is a rare combination.

It has all the right options ticked and more - DCT, M2 Comfort Pack, M2 Plus Pack, Heated Steering Wheel and Speed Limit Display.

The mileage is very low for a 2019 car - just below 22k.

AUC, so it comes with 12 months warranty / MOT / roadside assistance. It was serviced at the end of May.

20k on the front pads and 30k on the rears.

It sounds incredible. Drives incredible. It genuinely put a massive smile on my face.

Advice needed please chaps :)

Last edited:
Soldato
2 months late, in December 2020? I wonder if there was any reason why servicing cars might have been difficult around that time?

I'm not sure I would be worried about that personally.
Fair point, didn't think of that and I'll put it down to the 9 hour drive which left me feeling like a smashed crab.

The only other concern, which admittedly is now a bit more of a concern than the late service, is the missing PPF from one of the arches. Possibly due to a crash or notable damage? Panel resprayed and they forgot to put the PPF back on?

Soldato
Fair point, didn't think of that and I'll put it down to the 9 hour drive which left me feeling like a smashed crab.

The only other concern, which admittedly is now a bit more of a concern than the late service, is the missing PPF from one of the arches. Possibly due to a crash or notable damage? Panel resprayed and they forgot to put the PPF back on?
My idiot uncle washed my mums car as a favour and peeled them off. Don't underestimate "cLeAn lOoKs".

Last edited:

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Irrespective of COVID, 2 months is nothing.

It is almost certainly nothing when it comes to the new car warranty (except potentially some stress/aggro arguing it). Same for AUC warranty, with perhaps slightly more aggro depending on if you take it to the same franchised dealer you bought it from or not - I have direct first hand experience of these sorts of issues with my 640d GC. With the insured warranty, I would have slightly more concerns depending on the situation.

From the Policy Handbook for the BMW Insured warranty:

Repair or replacement required wholly or partially due to lack of maintenance or as a result of accident, wear and tear, water ingress, abuse, neglect or material becoming porous and leaking, defects that existed or is likely to have existed prior to the cover start date (pre-existing faults), lack of anti-freeze, lubricants or hydraulic fluids, incorrect servicing or faulty repairs, any impacts, corrosive agents, theft or attempted theft, or normal deterioration are not covered.

In the specific circumstances of that M2, I wouldn't be worried at all - significant time has elapsed between then and now and it is unlikely to be 'reasonable' that any faults could be attributed to that service being late. If you bought a car where the service immediately prior to your purchase (car or warranty) was late, I would be worried I'd be giving them an easy out. You are agreeing to these terms and conditions in a specific contract of insurance between you and the provider (not BMW), so it is likely to be treated very differently to manufacturers warranties etc.

Soldato
My idiot uncle washed my mums car as a favour and peeled them off. Don't underestimate "cLeAn lOoKs".
Interesting - will see what the dealer comes back with.

It is almost certainly nothing when it comes to the new car warranty (except potentially some stress/aggro arguing it). Same for AUC warranty, with perhaps slightly more aggro depending on if you take it to the same franchised dealer you bought it from or not - I have direct first hand experience of these sorts of issues with my 640d GC. With the insured warranty, I would have slightly more concerns depending on the situation.

From the Policy Handbook for the BMW Insured warranty:

In the specific circumstances of that M2, I wouldn't be worried at all - significant time has elapsed between then and now and it is unlikely to be 'reasonable' that any faults could be attributed to that service being late. If you bought a car where the service immediately prior to your purchase (car or warranty) was late, I would be worried I'd be giving them an easy out. You are agreeing to these terms and conditions in a specific contract of insurance between you and the provider (not BMW), so it is likely to be treated very differently to manufacturers warranties etc.

If the late service potentially invalidates the BMW Insured Warranty, how can they sell the car with 12 months of Insured Warranty in the first place? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Thanks for the insight and help!

Last edited:
Soldato
I had another look through the full car history sent over and noticed this:

Ng13HSz.jpeg

That looks like a nearside tailgate light replaced at 3308 miles under warranty? It's close to where the PPF was meant to be and it's part of the same panel as far as I can tell.

Last edited:

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
If the late service potentially invalidates the BMW Insured Warranty, how can they sell the car with 12 months of Insured Warranty in the first place? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Thanks for the insight and help!

They don't - AUC Warranty is a different product to the Insured Warranty. It also doesn't invalidate it explicitly - afaics nowhere does it actually say in the policy doc that prior to the policy starting it needs a full SH (but it must be serviced in line with BMWs schedule while under the policy cover), but that clause I highlighted does show that they could potentially try and use lack of prior service history against you if they wanted to.

The rear lights in these cars can have water ingress issues - I would bet that's what that is rather than reading anything more sinister into it.

If you're looking for an absolutely spotless, as-brand-new car that's been that way for its entire life then you should give up now - they are so rare as to basically not exist.

Caporegime
From here: https://www.bmw.co.uk/content/dam/b...ce-car-care-guide.pdf.asset.1588595145260.pdf

BMW said:
If you have cars on-fleet requiring a service during the delays caused by Covid-19, to support you during the Coronavirus outbreak we will ensure the warranty will be unaffected by this disruption. All cars serviced within three months or 2,000 miles (whichever is earlier) of the service indicator will be protected in full by any applicable warranty.

Although it advises Fleet Managers I'd imagine they'd use the same criteria for non-fleet or personal cars.

Last edited:
Soldato
They don't - AUC Warranty is a different product to the Insured Warranty. It also doesn't invalidate it explicitly - afaics nowhere does it actually say in the policy doc that prior to the policy starting it needs a full SH (but it must be serviced in line with BMWs schedule while under the policy cover), but that clause I highlighted does show that they could potentially try and use lack of prior service history against you if they wanted to.

In that case it looks like I'll have to take out a new policy at the higher rate when the AUC Warranty finishes, rather than renewing at the reduced rate (due to being two separate products). Noted, thank you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom