BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
... If I up that to £38k with the view to negotiate down to £35k, 3 cars available...

Not sure if you are being a little ambitious in hoping to get a car listed at £38K down to £35K?
I hope you can, however AUC dealers are still gritting their teeth and resisting any downward market corrections post covid.

Transmission breaker
Don
Just get the standard mats, it's not an M3 Competition.
Floormats1.jpg

I settled on these as they were little more understated than the stitching around the edge!

Transmission breaker
Don
I can report that I did a 33 mile round trip this AM, and used 29 miles of electricity, and 4 miles of petrol...
Frankly, I am amazed, it was a normal drive, couple of overtakes, and in reality, I barely noticed I was not using the IC engine.
I felt it kick in when doing the overtakes, but acceleration from junctions/etc just felt normal under electric power.

This trip was nearly 3 times the length I would be doing most mornings come September, so even with losing some range to cold, it should mean I have a zero petrol use most of the time!

Also, the pre-cooling of the car on mains power was a neat addition I had not thought about previously.

Soldato
I am very fussy about these things but that orange service shouldn't worry you if you really want the car.

It was barely over a month late and the mileage in that time was very low. It could have theoretically done 13k more miles and been serviced 1 month earlier, and it would be green! There's also the covid factor around that time, so loads of cars have minor discrepancies. This is about as minor as it gets.
Good to know, thank you.

Further to what I said previously, the retail manager also sent over a fairly detailed email putting some of my concerns to bed. Interesting to note that they know the 2 previous owners of this M2C very well, with the most recent being a long-standing M customer.

Not sure if you are being a little ambitious in hoping to get a car listed at £38K down to £35K?
I hope you can, however AUC dealers are still gritting their teeth and resisting any downward market corrections post covid.

That was my point. I'd have to negotiate close to £3k off some of those cars to make them fit within budget, which is completely unrealistic!

Soldato
with the most recent being a long-standing M customer.

can you deduce whether m2c's have been tracked for their consumables replacements .

----------------

Not sure about carpet mats per se - prefer functional dexter rubber, for wet work.

Soldato
can you deduce whether m2c's have been tracked for their consumables replacements .

----------------

Not sure about carpet mats per se - prefer functional dexter rubber, for wet work.
Sorry, not sure what you mean exactly?

Man of Honour
It would definitely be a negative, but the majority of M cars don't end up going on track regularly, so it's probably not that likely.

I actually nearly bought an M2 Competition a couple of years ago, it was about a year old at the time. I'd agreed to buy it, when the salesman revealed it had a very expensive custom set of suspension - I remember posting about it on here. This would lead to so many potential problems with the warranty, and obviously suggests some track use.

You'd have to be pretty keen to spend £4000~ changing the entire suspension on a nearly new M car! Unlikely to be for road use...

Soldato
I'd prefer to avoid a car that had been on the track, but I have no way of confirming that without speaking to the previous owner. A regular M customer could just be someone who likes the next new shiny toy, rather than an enthusiast who drives it hard on the track.

It was registered in Feb 2019 and has only done 21862 miles, with just shy of 3k done since the last MOT on 03/10/23. I would expect it to have more if taken on the track and used as a daily.

Previous keepers/ownership length (from vcheck):

3 (Current) - purchased 30/09/22, ownership length 1 year 8 months 21 days
2 - purchased 23/03/22, ownership length 6 months 8 days
1 (First) - purchased 28/02/2019, ownership length 3 years 24 days

MOT (from vcheck):

14/02/22: 6900 miles
15/03/22: 7132 miles
13/10/22: 12603 miles
03/10/23: 18947 miles

6.9k miles over the first 3 years which is low (first owner). 5.5k miles over 6 months clearly indicates it was used as a daily driver (or maybe track - who knows). Then the most recent owner has done around 9.3k in 18 months give or take.

Edit: also searched the M2 Owners group on Facebook, Instagram, Google and Pistonheads, can't find anything for that reg apart from it being snapped on a website called Platesmania?!

Last edited:
Soldato
It would definitely be a negative, but the majority of M cars don't end up going on track regularly, so it's probably not that likely.

I actually nearly bought an M2 Competition a couple of years ago, it was about a year old at the time. I'd agreed to buy it, when the salesman revealed it had a very expensive custom set of suspension - I remember posting about it on here. This would lead to so many potential problems with the warranty, and obviously suggests some track use.

You'd have to be pretty keen to spend £4000~ changing the entire suspension on a nearly new M car! Unlikely to be for road use...
Out of interest why didn't you look for and buy another one? Spur of the moment type thing while in for a service?

Soldato
MOT (from vcheck):

14/02/22: 6900 miles
15/03/22: 7132 miles
13/10/22: 12603 miles
03/10/23: 18947 miles
never used vcheck , but what do multiple close dates mean is that several MOTs before sale ? can see test remarks on dvla site.

Soldato
never used vcheck , but what do multiple close dates mean is that several MOTs before sale ? can see test remarks on dvla site.
No test remarks as every MOT passed (can see this in the vcheck report).

The car was either part exchanged or sold back to Inchcape Ipswich BMW and was therefore MOT'd again as they provide 12 months with every approved used car. The dates also line up:

Second owner purchased 23/03/22, MOT'd 14/02/22. MOT'd again on 15/03/22 (see above for reason).

Third owner purchased 30/09/22, MOT'd 13/10/22 (not sure why this was after rather than before).

Man of Honour
My mate put Nitrons on his as it removes the arch gap and they’re more comfortable than OEM. He doesn’t track it. It’s quite common on M2’s.

Back
Top Bottom