BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Soldato
Does anyone know how to fix the extremely dumb electronic design on BMWs that means the AC is on, even if you turn the button marked 'AC' off?
Infuriating. If I want it off, why is it still on?

Man of Honour
Does anyone know how to fix the extremely dumb electronic design on BMWs that means the AC is on, even if you turn the button marked 'AC' off?
Infuriating. If I want it off, why is it still on?

What?

Depending on the car (The button is different on different versions) there is always a button which will switch the air conditioning on or off. What makes you think that button isn't switching it off?

Quite why you'd actually want to do that is anyone's guess - your car likely has climate control and therefore you should never need to switch the air conditioning off.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hold the fan speed button in the down position for a second and the unit will shut itself off

This shuts the entire thing down, not the air conditioning (Well, obviously, it will shut that down as well but thats like asking how to switch the radio off and suggesting switching off the engine and locking the car :D).

It may be that's he actually meant, but it's a badly worded question if so.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Either way, the system is well designed and works well so if he can explain what it is he's trying to achieve we can probably explain how to make it work.

Soldato
Soldato
I have had a google, and it appears it is common. Pressing the AC button off (so the light is not illuminated), does not actually turn the AC off.
You can feel it still blows ice cold air, but quite how to actually turn it off I'm not sure. It could be related to auto recirc?
I am a bit weird and occasionally drive with windows down, but want some hot air or similar, during which I definitely don't want the AC on.

Man of Honour
I have had a google, and it appears it is common. Pressing the AC button off (so the light is not illuminated), does not actually turn the AC off.

It does though. That is the function of that button - if you switch that off the compressor stops running. It'll take a while for the residual cold air in the system to disappear, though.

I am a bit weird and occasionally drive with windows down, but want some hot air or similar, during which I definitely don't want the AC on.

But actually, you do. You shouldn't ever need to switch the air conditioner itself off - it dehumidifies the air as well as cools it, and is reheated by the car if your desired temperature or setting doesn't call for cold air. There is no need to ever switch it off really - it's good practice to leave it on, as it keeps the system in full working order. Depending on the car, you can over-ride the face level vent temperature to be only hot air if thats what you want regardless of the air conditioning.

But if you really want to, then that button will do it :)

Soldato
What are the thoughts on a 630D GT 2018? I'm looking to "downsize" from a 2022 VRS Kodiaq and whilst the 6 is actually a bigger car it just looks a lot better as a cruiser and also on fuel especially now I no longer need 7 seats. Is there anything to look out for on these?

Soldato
Noticed an annoying issue appear the other day with the BMW speed camera alerts app, where now the warning "bong" is at a crazy high max volume level.

There doesn't seem to be a way to adjust the volume of this bong and the only way to stop it is turn turn off the bong in the app. Then the bong notification sound turns itself back on again when you've left the car and come back to it, so has to be turned off in the app again or it trus to burst your ear drums again.

Tin foil hat time, so even the cars before all this 2024 speed notification rubbish are having app updates forcing annoying **** on us that are a hassle to turn off?

Soldato
Soldato
It does though. That is the function of that button - if you switch that off the compressor stops running. It'll take a while for the residual cold air in the system to disappear, though.
Interesting, I will give it a go next time, but I am pretty sure it will continually pump cool air due to a different setting on the HVAC controls - this is what I have noticed, and some people online have also reported.

But actually, you do. You shouldn't ever need to switch the air conditioner itself off - it dehumidifies the air as well as cools it, and is reheated by the car if your desired temperature or setting doesn't call for cold air. There is no need to ever switch it off really - it's good practice to leave it on, as it keeps the system in full working order. Depending on the car, you can over-ride the face level vent temperature to be only hot air if thats what you want regardless of the air conditioning.

But if you really want to, then that button will do it :)
So driving with windows down and AC on is the way to do it?
Seems strange to me I will be honest. The system will think the air is not reducing in humidity, so will keep the AC on

Man of Honour
What are the thoughts on a 630D GT 2018? I'm looking to "downsize" from a 2022 VRS Kodiaq and whilst the 6 is actually a bigger car it just looks a lot better as a cruiser and also on fuel especially now I no longer need 7 seats. Is there anything to look out for on these?

They are excellent cars. It's a better value, higher specification and slightly larger 5 Series. The only downside is that the looks are not something everyone likes, but if you don't mind how they look its arguably a better choice than 5 Series.

They really are quite big though.

Soldato
Soldato
But this isn't a problem. It won't throw chilled air at you just because the air conditioning is running.

This is what it appears to do. If I have the dash control dial on cold, and the temp set to say 21°, it will chuck cold air at me with the windows down.
It just seems a waste of albeit a tiny bit of fuel. In summer I may drive with windows down, and want some ambient temperature air blowing in my face whilst waiting in traffic, not cold air.

Soldato
This is what it appears to do. If I have the dash control dial on cold, and the temp set to say 21°, it will chuck cold air at me with the windows down.

This is because the dash control dial sets the temperature of air coming out of the dash, and is independent from the temperature of the actual cabin.

It does this so you can have a cold cabin but keep warmer air flowing over you, for example.

If you don’t want it cold, don’t set it cold.

Back
Top Bottom