BMW and M Power Owners

i currently own a 120d M Sport E82 with the N47 engine,

The early 2 Series has the same engine as this - it then changed to the newer engine, which is completely different, from 2015. This doesn't mean every 2015 car will have the newer engine - there will be some produced earlier and registered a bit later, so it's important that you check.

The early 2 Series has the same engine as this - it then changed to the newer engine, which is completely different, from 2015. This doesn't mean every 2015 car will have the newer engine - there will be some produced earlier and registered a bit later, so it's important that you check.

Really? why would they list putting in the B47 engine in from 2015 onwards.

If i purchase it will likely be a 2016 model onwards, in which case should hopefully be the newer model and hopefully not a late registration, but yes i guess before any purchase the check would be done on the engine model number.

The B47 should be ok though ? what about the 150bhp vs 190bhp? id probably lean towards the 190 if i can find one as the extra 40 would probably be noticeable

Last edited:

Because they did? But a car manufactured in 2014 with the older engine could have been registered in 2015, so would be a 2015 car with the older engine.

Why would who list it?
Cars don't all get registered immediately when built, there can be cars sat around for some time after the changeover date - it's not a hard cut off point.

The B47 should be ok though ? what about the 150bhp vs 190bhp? id probably lean towards the 190 if i can find one as the extra 40 would probably be noticeable
Surely that depends whether you want 150 or 190 hp?

Yes it would be noticeable but presumably as you're looking at a 218d or 220d you aren't looking at outright performance, and are more worried about cost per mile?

Because they did? But a car manufactured in 2014 with the older engine could have been registered in 2015, so would be a 2015 car with the older engine.

this is probably why its worth checking, and also maybe leaving a 1 year gap, so look from 2016 onwards.

I'd want a the 220d unless there was a particularly good deal available on a 218d. I doubt there is any real world running cost difference between them with the possible exception of insurance.

and also maybe leaving a 1 year gap, so look from 2016 onwards.

No need to do this, just check it has the newer engine. Most of them from 2015 will have as I think the change was November 2014 production, so you can see how a few might have been registered in 2015 (But don't quote me on that!).

Just verify the engine fitted to the car before you buy it.

Why would who list it?
Cars don't all get registered immediately when built, there can be cars sat around for some time after the changeover date - it's not a hard cut off point.

Surely that depends whether you want 150 or 190 hp?

Yes it would be noticeable but presumably as you're looking at a 218d or 220d you aren't looking at outright performance, and are more worried about cost per mile?

I think the 190 would be ok,

Iv got no issues with the performance on a car thats around 170-190bhp, my current model is the 177bhp, its fine for me. Cost per mile doesn't really make much difference to me. You should see around 50mpg avg on this i would guess. Same as most mainstream diesels.

You should see around 50mpg avg on this i would guess

Depends what sort of driving you do, if its mostly around town it won't be anything like this.

It will, however, be at least as good as your current car, if not slightly better.

Depends what sort of driving you do, if its mostly around town it won't be anything like this.

It will, however, be at least as good as your current car, if not slightly better.

I do a mixture of both town/city and motorway,

so there is no one or the other.

If i find something thats on 50-60 or 65k miles, its possibly worth a refresh as it will have some newer features, will hopefully have not so many issues as my current car has at the moment , so will hopefully be better.

Last edited:
A 9 year old diesel that's only done 50-60k miles is asking for issues imo

And why do you think this ?

I generally have purchased all my cars on 50-60k miles, and none of them have been brand new cars.

Why is it that people get annoyed if you don't buy a car that's within 1-3 years of its build date.

Not everyone wants to fork out a huge sum of money only for it to depreciate massively within the first 0-3 years

Last edited:
At least it narrows your search down @DJMK4

220d
2015 or newer
Coupe
upto 70,000 miles
up to £11,000
excluding write offs

I get two results nationally on AutoTrader :p

Still in that 'need more money or lower expectations' zone I think

I generally have purchased all my vechicals on 50-60k miles, and none of them have been new cars.

Because modern diesels with DPFs etc. don't particularly like doing lots of short journeys, so a car that's averaged 6,000 miles per year, may well be a DPF failure waiting to happen.

Last edited:
At least it narrows your search down @DJMK4

220d
2015 or newer
Coupe
upto 70,000 miles
up to £11,000
excluding write offs

I get two results nationally on AutoTrader :p

Still in that 'need more money or lower expectations' zone I think

Because modern diesels with DPFs etc. don't particularly like doing lots of short journeys, so a car that's averaged 6,000 miles per year, may well be a DPF failure waiting to happen.

Im fully aware of diesels and how they operate. I have owned a diesel over the past 4 cars and I have been a hybrid city/motorway driver.

They are fine aslong as you give them a kick down the motorway once in a while, which is what i do. I am not in a selected catagory as i live on the edge of a dual carrage way and a motorway and do regular journeys down the motorway, and i also work in the city which is where i live. So its neither one all the time or the other all the time. its both

Last edited:
They are fine aslong as you give them a kick down the motorway once in a while, which is what i do

But might not be what a low mileage one has been doing and if the DPF is 90% of the way to being clogged up, you booting it down the motorway once a week isn't going to reverse potentially years of 'misuse', so it's something to be wary of.

But might not be what a low mileage one has been doing and if the DPF is 90% of the way to being clogged up, you booting it down the motorway once a week isn't going to reverse potentially years of 'misuse', so it's something to be wary of.

Unfortunately if go in to the mindset of searching for a car with too many things to think about, ill never end up picking one.

The alternative is petrol.

Unfortunately I am not going to be purchasing a car thats within a few years old of its build, so that's what the search will be based on unfortunately

A jump from my current 2010 model to say a 2016 model is not that bad.

Last edited:
As above, because that kind of mileage/age generally suggests lots of short journeys which aren't ideal for modern Diesels.

I generally have purchased all my cars on 50-60k miles, and none of them have been brand new cars.
And?

Why is it that people get annoyed if you don't buy a car that's within 1-3 years of its build date.
no one is annoyed about that at all, but you're being unrealistic about you're expectations

For reference, I have a 2011 Mini Cooper (Bought last year), and a 2017 Mini Countryman Cooper S (bought this year), so far from within 1-3 years of build date. The difference being, I was both realistic about my use cases and budget.

Not everyone wants to fork out a huge sum of money only for it to depreciate massively within the first 0-3 years
Which is why "nearly new" cars are often the best way to go, in terms of value for money (Especially if it has remaining manufacturer warranty, or the extended manufacturer warranties are good - e.g. BMW)

Buying a 2015 car isn't saving you from massive depreciation any more than buying a 2021 car. It is however increasing your risk of issues, particularly if you insist on having a more complicated/premium German car.

Im fully aware of diesels and how they operate.
Clearly not with comments like this
They are fine aslong as you give them a kick down the motorway once in a while, which is what i do

How many miles do you actually do a year? I can almost imagine a petrol will probably make more sense (particularly given your worry about problems)

It is great, you won't regret it. Makes such a difference over the stock!
I'm sure I would! The barrier at the moment is all in my head.

Growing up with not a lot of money in the household has left me with a slightly odd attitude to money. So while I can afford to buy myself a nice car it's getting over that mental hurdle of handing over that amount of cash for something I don't need. Curse my frugal brain :( I'll keep working on it though :p

I'd be considering petrol, though I suspect the market for the 220i isn't all that much better than it is for the 220d at the budget you're working with, given prices of things these days.
Unfortunately I am not going to be purchasing a car thats within a few years old of its build, so that's what the search will be based on unfortunately
I don't think anyone is suggesting that.
A jump from my current 2010 model to say a 2016 model is not that bad.
No it's not, but you'll need a chunk more than the £10-11k budget you were talking about in your other thread to give yourself many reasonable options for 2016 220ds with 60k on them.

Back
Top Bottom