BMW and M Power Owners

Probably do about 6-8k miles a year

**Edit just checked service history I usually do about 10k miles a year

.his could change if anything changes with circumstances ,

I just seen the 2016 218d M-sport in excellent condition come up at 10.5k , so it is possible? yes may not be always flooded on the market at this price but there has been a couple i have seen, so why wouldnt a 220 m sport come up ?

Im not going to go in to realms about how many miles i do vs diesel or petrol, iv had this discussion on these forums for many many years although when i was searching last time i was going more more milage, and was a lot of motorway journey on a daily basis, so the criteria for diesel during the previous car was needed.

I will include petrol in my search criteria

Last edited:
Why is it that people get annoyed if you don't buy a car that's within 1-3 years of its build date.

They don't, but generally they accept that the older it is, the more likely it is to become quite expensive to keep going. Cars have a limited life and the closer to the end of that life you buy it, the more expensive and annoying its going to be to keep it going. The problem here is that your focus on only wanting a BMW or an Audi or similar means the cars you're finding in budget are older, higher mileage and closer to the end of their life than they otherwise would be. Which is fine if you're happy with that, but it seems you're not as you also (and not unreasonably) want something reliable that isn't going to keep costing you money.

Something has to change - the 2 series might work, but it'll require a bigger budget, which is one of the things you could change to get what you want.

OOPH!

Yeah, I'd have to budget for the exhaust for sure! I love the idea of being able to Jekyll and Hyde it at the touch of a button.

are you looking for the f3x cabrio or the newer 4 series with the peppa pig nose?

i got my f36 440i GC in jan 2021 and fitted the MPPSK in june 2021, so just over 3 years now. just note that you need to get a pre-june 2018 440i to be able to fit the MPPSK (the OG B58 engine without the particulate filter)
honestly, its a great sounding track when in sport mode and used to use sport mode daily for the vroom vroom
nowadays, eco mode is more important lol :cry:

to save a repost: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/bmw-and-m-power-owners.18392172/post-36501057

I just seen the 2016 218d M-sport in excellent condition come up at 10.5k , so it is possible? yes may not be always flooded on the market at this price but there has been a couple i have seen, so why wouldnt a 220 m sport come up ?

You don't really know what condition its in until you look at it, but part of the reason is probably that it's a 218d. This is not a popular version, the 220d is much more popular, meaning you can often get a 218d for rather less than you'd pay for a 220d. This might be a good way of getting what you want for your budget, but I have to ask, why are you that bothered about a BMW if you're happy to drive around in the least powerful smallest diesel they do? Most of what is good about a BMW that makes them worth paying the money for isn't really present in the lowest power 4 cylinder diesel.

This same budget buys a Seat Leon that is about half the age of a 2 Series. it is more modern inside, it'll probably be lower mileage and there isn't really any obvious way in that it'll feel inferior to a 2016 2 Series. What is it about a car like this that you don't like? It has the same range of engines as the Audi's you've been interested in.

I'm sure they will, but they'll be the absolute dregs of the market, otherwise they'd be getting advertised at £12k+

are you looking for the f3x cabrio or the newer 4 series with the peppa pig nose?

i got my f36 440i GC in jan 2021 and fitted the MPPSK in june 2021, so just over 3 years now. just note that you need to get a pre-june 2018 440i to be able to fit the MPPSK (the OG B58 engine without the particulate filter)
honestly, its a great sounding track when in sport mode and used to use sport mode daily for the vroom vroom
nowadays, eco mode is more important lol :cry:

to save a repost: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/bmw-and-m-power-owners.18392172/post-36501057
Thanks for the info. I'd read about the GPF but wasn't sure when in 2018 that came into effect.

Definitely F3x either cab or coupe, still not sure which way I'd go on that one. I'd mentally budgeted up to around £20k which I think pretty much ensures I'd be in an earlier car.

I'll do my homework and try to convince myself it is a good move! I've never spent more than £6.5k on a car before and that was for one I actually needed, not a toy for weekend use :o

You don't really know what condition its in until you look at it, but part of the reason is probably that it's a 218d. This is not a popular version, the 220d is much more popular, meaning you can often get a 218d for rather less than you'd pay for a 220d. This might be a good way of getting what you want for your budget, but I have to ask, why are you that bothered about a BMW if you're happy to drive around in the least powerful smallest diesel they do? Most of what is good about a BMW that makes them worth paying the money for isn't really present in the lowest power 4 cylinder diesel.

This same budget buys a Seat Leon that is about half the age of a 2 Series. it is more modern inside, it'll probably be lower mileage and there isn't really any obvious way in that it'll feel inferior to a 2016 2 Series. What is it about a car like this that you don't like? It has the same range of engines as the Audi's you've been interested in.

Correct, you would have to inspect it at the time.

I like the coup models of the BMW 1 and 2 series.

A 220d or infact my current 120d (2.0) is not the smallest least powerful diesel they do ? i have no issues with the performance of it, they are fine, and they are actually pretty quick/ enough torque.

What seat leon are you talking about here? year and fuel type ? i assume you mean petrol ?

I have no issues with a Seat Leon Curpa FR -

My friend has a petrol one and its super fast, i prefer BMW or Audi's though. Body type wise i also prefer coups over hatchbacks

Last edited:
2020 cars look to be around £11-12k - petrol and diesel.

Many of them might qualify for the Seat All In warranty and servicing package as well, £37.50 a month covers all your servicing costs and a warranty.

Thanks for the info. I'd read about the GPF but wasn't sure when in 2018 that came into effect.

Definitely F3x either cab or coupe, still not sure which way I'd go on that one. I'd mentally budgeted up to around £20k which I think pretty much ensures I'd be in an earlier car.

I'll do my homework and try to convince myself it is a good move! I've never spent more than £6.5k on a car before and that was for one I actually needed, not a toy for weekend use :o
go for a 67/18 reg model. this should be post-LCI (LED rear cluster and a few other changes) with the "benefit" of the OG B58, so the MPPSK will be an option to fit, if not fitted already
as someone who has owned the coupe and now the gran coupe, i would definitely say that the coupe looks better than the GC. however in terms of practicality, the GC stands head and shoulders above as it has 4 doors and the hatchback style boot
if i had to choose again, i would definitely still go for the GC any day

Rather annoyingly I have discovered some damage on the front drivers side wheel, really not sure how it's been done and left the tyre unscathed. I haven't knowingly hit anything (avoid kerbs and potholes), it was with BMW a week ago and all looked ok when I collected the car. I noticed it yesterday as where it was parked on the drive it was right at the top of the wheel so visible, not easy to see otherwise (it's been cleaned and moved since).

i.php

Different angle and not as close, not easy to spot and since it was quite dirty recently, it's possibly why it went unnoticed:

20240718125422-04b0e16a-xx.jpg

As I know it's there, it's now annoying and will need to be fixed.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: mjt
I thought this is what happens when you pick up brand new cars and start driving them?

I hope I would notice if I've driven into anything though (I've had wheel damage on previous cars from encounters with potholes, kerbs and also stone chips), and since it's driven daily in all types of weather I didn't expect it to stay perfect.

When damage like this just seems to appear without the tyre also being marked as well it's a bit unusual is all :)

I'm sure I would! The barrier at the moment is all in my head.

Growing up with not a lot of money in the household has left me with a slightly odd attitude to money. So while I can afford to buy myself a nice car it's getting over that mental hurdle of handing over that amount of cash for something I don't need. Curse my frugal brain :( I'll keep working on it though :p
Haha I did feel the same... Best thing in the case is to try get a second hand one. I had to search for about 6 months but I eventually found a backbox for 400 and then bought the other bits from BMW. After I sold my stock exhaust it ended up very cheap!

I see you live in Norwich, I will be going there end of October if you want to hear it in real life!

Rather annoyingly I have discovered some damage on the front drivers side wheel, really not sure how it's been done and left the tyre unscathed. I haven't knowingly hit anything (avoid kerbs and potholes), it was with BMW a week ago and all looked ok when I collected the car. I noticed it yesterday as where it was parked on the drive it was right at the top of the wheel so visible, not easy to see otherwise (it's been cleaned and moved since).

Tell them you just noticed it, if its a half decent garage they will just repair it if it was them. BMW Rybrook (Sytner now) did something similar to my M6 and they said bring it back and they will sort it out. Otherwise touch it up, live with it and get it done once there is afew more (if you love kerbs lol)

Well devastated isn’t the word, as you may have seen purchased a portimao blue 330i in December and my house got broken into last night they took the key and stole it whilst sleeping 3am.

I’ve got a literal 2 day old baby and a toddler in the house too. Made me think what’s the point in having nice things makes me sick.

They drove it 15 mins away removed my contents and tracker and poof it’s off the grid.

Last edited:

i.php

Different angle and not as close, not easy to spot and since it was quite dirty recently, it's possibly why it went unnoticed:

20240718125422-04b0e16a-xx.jpg

looks great regardless of the mark!

Back
Top Bottom