BMW and M Power Owners

Caporegime
This is completely different then - why is the We Buy Any Car price relevant? Surely what matters is the cost to you of replacing the car with another one the same as yours. You are not We Buy Any Car and presumably don't buy cars at the prices they pay?
This. Your insurance is there to place you back in a position of no material loss, be that a replacement car of equivalent mileage, age and condition or the money to buy one yourself. The WBAC offer for a similar car is immaterial. You need to look at and supply details of similar cars to yours prior to it being stolen/written off. Of course the insurance company will try and low ball you to save a few thousand but don't let them. Spend 20-30 minutes on PH, AT and if new enough the BMW site and provide links to similar cars showing you cannot be placed back into a similar car using their initial offer.

Caporegime
Local trusted mechanic suggested I may need new front discs soon, would there be any real benefit in upgrading to the M Sport calipers and discs if the cost to change isn’t that much different? I don’t track it, am generally very gentle on my brakes too. The car says both front and rear pads, installed in Feb 2023 still have 25k miles of life left.

2015 428i Gran Coupé.

Last edited:
Soldato
Local trusted mechanic suggested I may need new front discs soon, would there be any real benefit in upgrading to the M Sport calipers and discs if the cost to change isn’t that much different? I don’t track it, am generally very gentle on my brakes too. The car says both front and rear pads, installed in Feb 2023 still have 25k miles of life left.

2015 428i Gran Coupé.

The M Sport ones will be a reasonable cost differential.

They are very good brakes, though. I pulled out of a 340i sale when I test drove it - it didn’t have the M Sport brakes which my 320d did have, and it was noticeable in terms of braking confidence.

Reality is, though, your brakes are designed to outperform your tyres. I.e. they are limited by the grip your tyres can provide. Therefore, bigger brakes don’t mean better braking performance in emergency situations.

What I like about the M Sport brakes is that the entire setup is confidence inspiring. They feel stronger, they bite better and overall have better pedal feel than the standard brakes, in my experience.

But I wouldn’t pay to upgrade to them on a 428i if it didn’t have them.

Man of Honour
would there be any real benefit in upgrading to the M Sport calipers and discs if the cost to change isn’t that much different?
will the cost not be much different? i've thought it would be a lot different as you're now changing the front and the rear calipers, discs and pads....rather than just the front discs and pads

the main benefit i think, is the blue paint...for looks lol

the m sport is 4 pot front, 2 pot rear and i think the stock non-m sport are 4 pot front, 1 pot rear
i doubt that will make much difference in terms of performance as the front brakes provide most of the stopping power

Back
Top Bottom