BMW and M Power Owners

Something wrong with the 330e? The 330e is a 320i + motor isn't it? Perhaps the map (gearbox or engine) is different?

On paper the 330e has more power and is quicker to 60 etc but doesn't necessarily mean it's more responsive, but you'd expect it to be.

Manual v auto?

Yeah the coolant module thing died! So it had to go in to be replaced under warranty. There was also some battery error message, which they've done a software update to in the hopes that it'll be fixed.

I tried the 320i (auto) in hybrid mode this morning and it felt just like the 330e. So, I think it's the way in which they've programmed the throttle. It just feels very artificial, so I think I might be driving in sport from now on!

Honestly, I wish I'd got the 320i. Oh well!

Wonder if it’s the exact tuning the engine gets, so it goes well with the electric. Perhaps it’s more rounded off than just a straight petrol

Maybe! No idea :)

In Tuscany for a couple of weeks and i hired a 4 series for the trip. Arrived to find a nearly new 4 series with a list of damage that covered pages! Tyre had a big chunk of rubber out of the side so i went back and did the full Family Guy italian arm waving bada bing bada boo etc

Got a brand new 5 series now and it seems huge compared to my current previous generation….and slow being only the 520d. LOADS of tech on it and screens and it really feels like a 7 in size (no idea if it is but feels huge).

Reactions: mjt
More of a cruiser than a proper sports car isn't it?

Don't see why they get such a bad reputation when cars like the 1M Coupe are considered to be the most amazing thing BMW has ever made, even though there is virtually no difference on paper between them.

The Z4 M40i has an M Sport differential, the only confusing thing is why they are only 340bhp when the M340i is 380bhp.

It's not a sports car like a Lotus Elise would be but then what is these days? It's a 2 seater roadster with 340bhp.

Got a brand new 5 series now and it seems huge compared to my current previous generation….and slow being only the 520d. LOADS of tech on it and screens and it really feels like a 7 in size (no idea if it is but feels huge).
Whats your thoughts on the overall interior experience vs the previous gen?

Seen a couple of them up close over the last few days, looks wise, not growing on me as of yet. Interior/exterior are a bit ghastly in person.

Seen a couple of them up close over the last few days, looks wise, not growing on me as of yet. Interior/exterior are a bit ghastly in person.

I'm going to buy an Audi next.

I don't really feel there is much else for me to add about the new BMW design direction, but anyone who has been on these forums a while will know that I'm usually quite positive about BMW...

Not Housey, but I really don't like iDrive 8 or whatever it's called. It takes far too long to find anything useful while you're driving, and having the climate control in a menu as opposed to physical buttons is really annoying. But, the screen is lovely. The interior is pretty nice too.

Not Housey, but I really don't like iDrive 8 or whatever it's called. It takes far too long to find anything useful while you're driving, and having the climate control in a menu as opposed to physical buttons is really annoying. But, the screen is lovely. The interior is pretty nice too.

The interior is the same as your interior (Except for the things they've removed, like the leather stitching on the airbag cover, the gear shift lever and the climate control display).

I agree with you about iDrive 8. I think iDrive 7 is excellent and represents for me the best blend of looks and functionality. This is why I particularly looked for a 2021 car instead, having decided I didn't want a facelift car.

Not a fan really and it’s a very un dynamic drive too, feeling like the big bus it really is.

Two main screens and a heads up display and the menus are vast and you really have to dive into them to get things done.

Plastic quality continues to take a dive and i don’t like the feel of switches, many of which are really small and not easy to adjust when you are driving and some just silly like the air vents which are controlled by a slider and also a pivot button.

Last edited:
I'm going to buy an Audi next.

I don't really feel there is much else for me to add about the new BMW design direction, but anyone who has been on these forums a while will know that I'm usually quite positive about BMW...

I’ve driven a recent (2024 plate) Audi with a similar setup to the latest 3 series.

Petrol hybrid with a ZF8

Best way of explaining it:

Audi felt like different systems acting independently towards a task you set

BMWs feel like different systems working collectively towards a task you set

And the Audi felt incredibly cheap and nasty, though it did look nice. Rattles and squeaks galore on a 2024 plate.

Wouldn’t touch one tbh, having owned a 2018 S5 also.

Porsche is where it’s at ;)

My old C6 A6 was brilliant, as is my current Q7 - in all respects. Different price range though, I'll give you that.

Was given a brand new A3 when the Q7 was in for a service last month - absolutely awful. Horrible cheap plastics, stupidly uncomfortable cuboid gear lever, etc. etc.
MMI and the Virtual Cockpit are excellent though.

NYfGasl.jpeg

O3pebrI.jpeg

ZQEgg5X.jpeg

KCU054q.jpeg

Some pics of said new 5 Series.

Not appealing at all, my current version a far nice car to drive and be in.

The only way I can use 'previous destinations, which you need to do a lot as if you press the wrong button it forgets it, is by being logged in with your BMW ID"

Crap.

Last edited:
Briefly considered an older (~2014) 7 series... Until I stumbled across the price of new suspension :o appreciate some fixes can be DIY'd. Guessing turbos and injectors etc are also going to be a concern on an old 730d.

Last edited:
I've driven a couple, they are OK but hit and miss quality wise. Agree on the new iDrive, the previous version is much more functional and does virtually all of the same things.

Wouldn't say Mercedes or Audi are any better though.

Back
Top Bottom