BMW and M Power Owners

Well as far as the VIN number information can provide I couldn't see much else that was missing from cars... maybe fully specced wasn't the right words, but it certainly has a lot of goodies... Far more than the current 1997 Scooby legacy RSB!

I really hope it is fully specced as it would be the most epic E60 ever. There are some properly cool but very rare options. Here are a selection of some of the best uncommon options:

Steering Wheel Heating
Universal Remote Control
Comfort Seats
Seat Ventilation
Seat Oscilation
Head Up Display
Active Cruise with Stop and Go
Logic7 Stereo
TV Function
Lane Departure Warning System

And the rarest of them all...

Night Vision :D

Some of those options might not seem that rare today but when the E60 was around they were.

If the car has all of those then it really is 'fully specced' and one hell of a good car. But looking at that list explains why a car with Xenons, Satnav, a decent stereo and memory seats isn't 'fully specced' as half the car dealers seem to think :D

Can anyone who has owned an E46 at some point help me out?

My 328i has a few problems with idling. When stationary for longer than 45 seconds, you start to feel a few light vibrations and the RPM may dip and rise every so slightly. This tends to get worse the longer you are sitting there not moving, but will be OK once on the move again, with the cycle to repeat once again at the next stop. Last week, after about 4 minutes idling, there were some severe vibrations that felt like there was a misfire, this did not imporve several hundred feet after setting off so I restarted the engine and all was well once again.

The car is fine when you set off again, apart from the instance described above. Its rather annoying and I would like to fix it so I have a lovely and smooth idling experience.

There are no warning lights of any kind showing up and I'm not sure if the early E46 (1999) have ODB2 ports, allowing me to check for codes with an adapter.

I intend to take the MAF sensor off and see if that lets it idle any better. If it does improve, apparently this may indicate a vacuum leak somewhere. The next job after this will be checking the DISA for any wear and cleaning the Idle control valve, hopefully this wont be too challenging considering I haven't previously worked on a car.

I don't believe the DISA or VANOS is the problem as the car feels very smooth and rev's well to the top of the range.

The internet is awash with many similar symptoms, though it would be nice if anyone on here could share any similar experiences.

My 328i has a few problems with idling. When stationary for longer than 45 seconds, you start to feel a few light vibrations and the RPM may dip and rise every so slightly. This tends to get worse the longer you are sitting there not moving, but will be OK once on the move again, with the cycle to repeat once again at the next stop. Last week, after about 4 minutes idling, there were some severe vibrations that felt like there was a misfire, this did not imporve several hundred feet after setting off so I restarted the engine and all was well once again.

The car is fine when you set off again, apart from the instance described above. Its rather annoying and I would like to fix it so I have a lovely and smooth idling experience.

There are no warning lights of any kind showing up and I'm not sure if the early E46 (1999) have ODB2 ports, allowing me to check for codes with an adapter.

I intend to take the MAF sensor off and see if that lets it idle any better. If it does improve, apparently this may indicate a vacuum leak somewhere. The next job after this will be checking the DISA for any wear and cleaning the Idle control valve, hopefully this wont be too challenging considering I haven't previously worked on a car.

I don't believe the DISA or VANOS is the problem as the car feels very smooth and rev's well to the top of the range.

The internet is awash with many similar symptoms, though it would be nice if anyone on here could share any similar experiences.

I think you will have the round diagnostic port under the bonnet. Getting the codes read is the first place to start so hopefully you will have something to go on.

Could just be a coilpack or something.

So, on the way home from work tonight I heard a pop sound and now there's a screeching noise coming from my 2002 E46, sounds like polystyrene blocks rubbing against each other when I'm on the move, had a little look around after pulling over and can't see anything but it seems to be coming from the rear windscreen?? :confused:

Had my music on at the time otherwise had I heard the pop sound a bit better that might have given me a bit more of a clue. Do you think the windscreen has popped from it's mounting? (It didn't seem like it after having a look, it should be obvious right?)

They should on their 4 pots, not a nice sound

You take that back :mad: :p

TBH the N42 is a fine IL4 engine, it sounds more refined than any other 4cyl I've heard and has smooth power delivery.

Yes it's gutless in 4th and 5th so overtaking at speed isn't as convenient as in a waftier 6 but hey ho, it does what it was engineered to do quite well!

Of course that's my view of it having lived with it for 5 years and knowing it nearly back to front and from end to end of the rev counter :p

Ah didn't know it was ECU based, so it's sort of similar to those ciggy lighter socket things that pumps out engine sounds based on the current flowing through that were doing the rounds several years ago?

Edit*
This doesn't mean I'm pro the idea, fake sounds are fake sounds regardless. With regard to sound proofing, what's different about it versus previous generations? The engines are quieter, not the sound proofing being heavier. Turbo charging is the reason. But if Mercedes can do it right without fake sounds then why can't BMW?

Strictly speaking, in the M135i (and other cars in the BMW range, presumably) the sound isn't fake (because it's the real sound) but simply augmented inside the cabin through the sound system.

550i, my company car for the weekend. I didn't think I'd get to experience a car of this power until I was a lot older and I have to say. Wow.
Its very comfortable to cruise around in but when you plant your foot the power this V8 delivers is absolutely brutal.
Took me most of today to stop being terrified and start to enjoy hooning in it!
yzZ1iDa.jpg
3sHiWxm.jpg

I really don't need a car, would be a waste of money, but I would love one BMW 550i... I even started looking for one... but I must resist :D

The augmented engine noise thing is news to me. Got to say if I owned a BMW which had that, it would have a negative effect on my enjoyment of the car not knowing which sounds were real and which weren't.

Drangueos, this one will be for sale soon. Around £7k, a serious amount of car for the money. With all the extras (it has most if not all) the car was around £60k new! (Ouch) I'm tempted myself!

I had this exact problem with my Focus, turned out to be the ignition coil which needed replacing. However it's one of those which could be down to a few things. I suppose it doesn't help in your case that the engine light / warning code isn't displaying to give you some indication.

Back
Top Bottom