BMW and M Power Owners

[TW]Fox;27641190 said:
Wow, really!? I can't imagine not using it. It is enormously useful in a myriad of situations.

I never found cruise massively useful, always found ended up stop starting it anyway due to traffic etc, however adaptive cruise is another story ;)

Loving it on the Golf, gets used a fair bit and works extremely well. Can just set it and that's it.

Will be new tyre time in a month or so. Is there any noticeable difference in Pilot Sport 3's or Sport Contact 5's for an E46 330Ci? Price is totally negligible.

I've always been happy with Conti's on other models, and I've never experienced a Michelin tyre so can't comment on those. The Dunlop Maxx tyres I've got on at the moment are fairly decent but don't offer amazing grip.

Other options considered.

Pilot Sport 3 is a mid-range tyre, the Pilot Super Sport is the proper successor to the Pilot Sport 2.

That said though, I've got Pilot Sport 3's on my E46 330ci, can't fault them one bit. Good in the wet and dry, and they lose traction in a controlled manner (when being pushed hard).

Just swapped my FN2 type-r for a Z4MC. Here she is:

89e8336d-ff2f-4085-b926-7927864560af_zpsfsa59twf.jpg

Gruppe M Induiction kit.
Stoptech trophy Big Brake Kit front and rear with 380mm Disk upgrade.
Ground control adjustable coilovers with adjustable top mount plates
full supersprint powerloop system including the manifold
genuine 19" CSL wheels with Michelin pilot super sports
wheel stud to nut conversion
UUC lightened flywheel
Rougue engineering trailing arm bush limiters
turner adjustable camber arms
clutch stop
sports clutch
CSL schrick cams
remap to 370bhp
Strongstrut 3piece strutbrace
RPI scoop
UUC lightened pulleys
39,500 miles

Last edited:

Interesting they aren't drilled too, AFAIK the drilled ones add additional cooling and fade reduction? I guess the Big Brakes have that covered with use of tougher materials or something. Drilled does look cooler though :o

Mrk can you tell me what you needed to get the double din unit fitted. That's the fascia, and relocation kit for the heater etc?

Sure, you need 3 things.

1: The Steering wheel buttons + ISO interface: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400740548...49&var=670285582148&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

2: Radio aerial adapter: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260501537477?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

3: Double din fascia: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181256566947?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

You will need to DIY modify the existing internal harness to accept the double din head unit and use flat brackets from Halfords AV section to fashion a brace so it all holds together.

Remove the top layer cage and bezel from your double din head unit too so the double din fascia fits more flush with the head unit.

It all becomes clear when all the parts are in front of you.

Only the Parrot Asteroid Smart will fit in the E46 without having to modify the internal heater vent piping as anything else isn't shallow depth so hits the pipes.

Alternative is to buy an E46 specific OEM style Chinese head unit which doesn't require any of the above but you will likely encounter more bugs and support issues with them.

Alternative is to buy an E46 specific OEM style Chinese head unit which doesn't require any of the above but you will likely encounter more bugs and support issues with them.

Ebay jobbie? Would a dynavin need modification? I was going to get the pioneer applecar play unit. Just need something which works with steering wheel controls, (nav, video playback is a bonus) and play's songs from my iPhone.

If you use iPhones and iPads the new Dynavin N6-E46 is a decent unit with a quality DAC and connectivity. It will not need any modding and is a direct swap. It will also work with steering wheel controls.

It is unlikely to come with Android Auto though or Car Play. You will have to investigate XDA forums to see if there's a custom ROM in time for such purposes though the latter is mostly only for Android stuff.

But the BMW M brakes are more than good for street use too at no extra cost!

Only thing I find odd is that the discs are smaller than on say a 330i, why is that given the negligible weight difference even though the M3 stops more strongly.

[TW]Fox;27643827 said:
The price difference is nothing like that, my low mileage AUC was 20k almost a year ago. A similar spec moon miler isn't 10k.

Whilst you're right regarding the price difference, I still think he has a point - I suspect you'd have to be extremely unlucky for it to even cost £5k in repairs, especially if it was a well cared for example. They're still not particularly old cars.

Back
Top Bottom