• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Check Your 4090's 12vhpwr Connectors To Make Sure They are in Pristine Condition

Caporegime
people could be buying there connector then trashign the nvidia one because they feel some grudge against paying so much money for a GPU.

Could even be cable mod themselves to drum up business, seems like they whipped everyone into buying their product, they are crazy active on reddit promoting the cable since the release of these cards.

Some of the melted connectors look suspect as hell... if they are plugged in when melting how can some melt into a shape that wouldn't fit in the slot?

why do they melt from the outside in? the heat should be coming from the pin.... not outside the connector, unless they are purely melting from bad airflow and super high case temps

I feel a quite from Dads Army coming on:

You're delving into the realms of fantasy there. Cablemod would be sued into oblivion by nvidia if something like that was found to be true. People buying a 2k gpu then feeling outrage at choosing to spend that money and setting about a misinformation campaign about the connector? Seriously? If you honestly believe any of this then you're probably also someone that was out during covid with a £5 radiation detector off ebay pointing it at a 5g mast.

Soldato
I don't have a 4090 (currently 3090 and barely game atm so no point). But as someone who has had Nvidia/AMD switching various generations I can't help but feel like this is majorly overblown topic. There could possibly be an issue with the construction of these cables but when several Youtubers have tried everything possible to re-create and are unable to do so, and in retrospect to the amount of cards that would have been sold so few melting cable issues I would side with user error without any bias in the mix. If someone is able to re-create the issue then fair enough but at this point it is what maybe a couple of dozen if that melted connectors? Not good, correct but all electronics have x amount of faulty units and my estimation at looking at amount of overall cards sold and the amount of melted connectors would point to it being lower than 1%.

Soldato

That's a lot of ASUS TUF cards now :( .. I really am starting to wonder if it's the cards doing it too and not the adapters or the connectors but some sort of power issue in the cards causing the weakest electrical point to be exposed and a badly fitting connector or badly inserted one may be showing the weak spot .

Can't wait for them to actually find the issue now as this is now getting scary and this guys burnt connector is in the middle pins and not so much the outer ones like others. How would a middle pin not be connected all the way when rest pushed in right.

So far no FE cards ..

Please use this Megathread for any discussion regarding the 16 pins adapter.
List of Confirmed Cases
DatePostCard Brand/ModelAdapter Type
October 24Link HereGigabyte 4090 Gaming OC?4x 8 pins
October 24Link HereAsus TUF 40904x 8 pins
October 25Link HereAsus TUF 40904x 8 pins
October 26Link HereAsus TUF 40904x 8 pins
October 26Link HereGalax 4090 SG4x 8 pins??
October 27Link HereMSI Suprim X 40904x 8 pins
October 27Link HereAsus TUF 40904x 8 pins
October 27Link HereMSI Suprim Liquid X 40904x 8 pins
October 28Link HereAsus TUF 40904x 8 pins
October 28Link HereMSI Gaming X Trio 40903x 8 pins
October 29Link HereGigabyte 4090 Gaming OC4x 8 pins
October 29Link HereAsus TUF 40904x 8 pins
October 29Link HereMSI Gaming X Trio 40903x 8 pins
October 29Link HereGigabyte 4090 Gaming OC4x 8 pins
October 30Link HereAsus TUF 40904x 8 pins
List of Unconfirmed Cases
DatePostCard Brand/ModelAdapter Type
October 28Link Here 1Zotac Amp Extreme Airo 40904x 8 pins
October 28Link Here 2Asus Strix 40904x 8 pins
October 29Link Here 3MSI Gaming X Trio 40903x 8 pins
October 30Link Here 4Zotac Trinity OC 40904x 8 pins

Last edited:
Soldato
people could be buying there connector then trashign the nvidia one because they feel some grudge against paying so much money for a GPU.

Could even be cable mod themselves to drum up business, seems like they whipped everyone into buying their product, they are crazy active on reddit promoting the cable since the release of these cards.

Some of the melted connectors look suspect as hell... if they are plugged in when melting how can some melt into a shape that wouldn't fit in the slot?

why do they melt from the outside in? the heat should be coming from the pin.... not outside the connector, unless they are purely melting from bad airflow and super high case temps

d9uZp72.gif

So to recap, and this is my favourite bit - People are buying a new connector and therefore spending more money on their GPU, when they're already ****** off about spending too much money on a GPU in the first place?

:cry:

Last edited:
Caporegime
tinfoil is the people making it into a big deal and pretending it's every adapter, your house will burn down

Hc5Sflg.jpg

Another one claiming they didn't plug it all the way in for a picture... but only after people point it out... starting to see a pattern here.

Some people shouldn't be allowed to build a pc

Last edited:
Soldato
tinfoil is the people making it into a big deal and pretending it's every adapter, your house will burn down

Hc5Sflg.jpg

Another one claiming they didn't plug it all the way in for a picture... but only after people point it out... starting to see a pattern here.

Some people shouldn't be allowed to build a pc

This is what I was worried about that people are not pushing them in all the way and scared to break something by putting more pressure on. This is really only way I see this happening if there is no real fault with the adaptor or the connectors.

Also what worries me is why is the connector so hard to get in place correctly for some ? Is there bad mechanical tolerance issues with the adaptor to some connectors on the cards too?

Time to shine a torch down the connector of the card and the things are now so deep in the cards now that it may still be difficult to see if they are totally clicked in.

Caporegime
Also what worries me is why is the connector so hard to get in place correctly for some ? Is there bad mechanical tolerance issues with the adaptor to some connectors on the cards too?
mine takes a bit of force but you can hear the click.

11:36 doesn't help when some people were saying don't push it in hard... before the cards even came out

But anyway it seems people keep posting pictures to show how there setup was with it plugged in but then backtracking after people say it wasn't plugged in all the way on purpose...

why post the picture if you know it's not plugged in properly? all it's showing is how to not plug it in... but they were clearly meaning to show it "was plugged in right"

Last edited:
Caporegime

Vs the person saying people are buying these and faking this situation to make nvidia look bad.....because everyone has a spare 2 grand knocking about to **** away on a gpu and create a fake situation for the lulz...apparently..I think you need to step back and look at the spiel you're peddling....

Last edited:

DDH

DDH

Associate
This is what I was worried about that people are not pushing them in all the way and scared to break something by putting more pressure on. This is really only way I see this happening if there is no real fault with the adaptor or the connectors.

Time to shine a torch down the connector of the card and the things are now so deep in the cards now that it may still be difficult to see if they are totally clicked in.
Read what the guy said, it's not pushed all the way in because the Pic was take after it burnt up. He put it back there to show what it used to look like before burning and he didnt want to force it all the way in after it had burnt because the melted plastic was resisting going back in.

Permabanned
All I know is I could kiss my 3070 for being a beautiful reliable card, I am saddened Nvidia have done the people who bought their flagship 4000 series over.
Except for Arknor of course, if his melss, it is well deserved, I will just say that sometimes those twinkling stars do serve justice.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Read what the guy said, it's not pushed all the way in because the Pic was take after it burnt up. He put it back there to show what it used to look like before burning and he didnt want to force it all the way in after it had burnt because the melted plastic was resisting going back in.
why put it back in after to take a pic? shows what? just doesn't want to admit user error.

if it were true they would state it in the original post also

Except for Arknor of course, if his melss, it is well deserved, I will just say that sometimes those twinkling stars do serve justice.
been using it fine for over 2 weeks , almost 3 :D

Last edited:
Permabanned
Plugged in my USB drive into the USB over 30 times, no issues, decided today I would use the front panel one, burnt the PC to the ground.

"User error".

Yes these USB ports be real complex yo.

/S

Last edited:
Caporegime
wrong bending doesn't seem to cause anything as seen by multiple users who tried it, if his theory were correct the melting wouldn't be at the tips it would be where the wires enter the plastic around the solder joints.

Maybe some cards are faulty, seem the connectors are full proof according to multiple tests done and videoed on youtube

Last edited:
Associate
I have a 4090 in a 011 Evo with a CableMod 12vhpwr 4x8 pin to 12 vhpwr adapter cable. Haven't had any problems so far, ran with side panel off for the first week or so as I was worried about bending the connector but after seeing recent testing from Gamers Nexus, Jayz2cents etc I'm beginning to wonder if bending the connector is the issue.
Far more likely to be faulty adapter cables from Nvidia tbh as I've yet to see a post of melted connectors from anyone using an ATX3.0 cable or the solution from Corsair or CableMod.
The cablemod connector is noticeably tougher and feels solid compared to the flimsy adapter included with the card.
For the past few days I have closed the side panel putting a slight bend on the connection and no problems at all so far.
Plan to order a 90 degree adapter for piece of mind ultimately, I expect Nvidia and the PCB partners will start shipping the 90 degree adapters with future cards

Back
Top Bottom