Cities Skylines 2 is Official!

Permabanned
OP
That will be an improvement, I find unless you're manually placing every building, you're going to end up with mess districts or all very much the same districts because the amount of themese are limited.

Soldato
The new approach to the unique buildings looks good as well. To me it feels like it’s going to be a lot more important where you place them going forwards compared to the original game.

Also things like upgradeable depots etc. looks like a good progression, again it also looks like more thought is going to be needed on their placement and cramming them in the corner of the map out of the way isn’t going to be the modus operandi of the future.

Soldato
5600X is recommended, but do you think it should be ok with a 3900X. GPU is a 3080.
There doesn't seem to be that much between those two CPU'S.
But, as typical, actual performance will be a moving goalpost as the map fills with more agents and assets etc being moved.
Eye candy settings might be useful, tho you have a decent GPU.

Good starting point tho

Soldato
I was hoping that more cores might help.

Indeed they could. How much tho and we'll need to wait to find out :)

With what has been posted already in regards to multi-core performance we do have a chance of them being utilised.

Probably not the only game but one I noted that seems to do well with multi cores is Civ VI.....

Civ-VI.png

If CS II did something similar when it is launched then it would be a great improvement over CS I

Soldato
My wife’s living room PC has a 3600X and a 1070 Ti. I’m hoping that’ll be enough to run the game with decent performance. If not, this seems like the kind of game where a CPU upgrade may be better than upgrading the GPU.

Associate
Looks like a big jump from CS1 and hopefully going to incorporate some of the defacto mods people use now. CS2 should give the CPU a good workout hopefully they take advantage of the increase in core counts since CS1 came out.

Soldato
5700x, 32GB sys RAM and 6700XT, so i'm good there at least, maybe a GPU upgrade next year perhaps.

I never actually got round to playing CS, I have in on Steam with 9 DLC and never really played it! - the shame.

:cry:

Mass Transit, After Dark, Natural Disasters, Snowfall, Green Cities, and Parklife being the main ones.

Do you think its worth playing around with it a little bit to gain some knowledge or would I be better off just waiting for CS2?

Last edited:
Associate
Agreed, definitely play it if you think you'll be interested! Plus by the time you get to the point that you've got frustrations with the limits in the first game, the second will be coming out :D

Soldato
I kinda maxed out at around 1k hours of the original CS. Amazingly satisfying game for sure, on so many levels. Picking up a lot of the DLC's and extra content when on sale seemed to make sense. So far I'm getting an impression that so much of what was needed as a mod is now kinda built into the base game. That'll be great, even to the point of districts etc. I liked using the mod for that in CS.
Knowing CO / Paradox there will be a stack of future content anyway, and that typically means support and patches for year.....gotta be a good thing.

I now approach 2k hours with the Early Access game WRSR, shares a little in similarities but quite detailed and complex over being a city painter. Probably a niche type gaming experience to appreciate it.
I am hopeful that CS II has more actual depth to it, with consequences, and not "just" be about eye candy and assets that provide an illusion of depth. Probably a little unfair in wording it that way, and maybe the game itself was never meant to be overly complicated.
Very much looking forward to this one.

Minimum spec for games like this, imo, mean very little. Heck recommended typically, for me, suggests minimum, but I tend to like playing on the larger maps, 25 or greater squares enabled for building etc, and create many satellite type cities and towns connected with differing transport types. That tends to increase hardware demands. Assets tend to push RAM needs.

Man of Honour
Spent a lot of time playing CS but fell away as my PC became too slow, looking forward to the new one now I've got a new build, I don't buy all that many PC games so this will likely be a launch day buy for me.

Back
Top Bottom