civikl rights for a peaceful protest gone in this country

The OP isn't the smartest and doesn't seem to understand the issues, but he does have some valid points. They were basically imprisoned for 7 hours which I don't agree with. In addition he's right, most of us do sit here and do nothing, let's face it, the lack of government regulation has nearly brought our entire economy back to the depresssion of 1929.

I'm glad there's some uneducated hippies smashing things up, while it appears to achieve nothing, it does emphasise to the government to get it right. If even one politician thinks "blimey I don't want my windows smashed in for getting this regulation wrong" then score one for the hippies.

I'm a classic "tory boy" who spent 10 years working for hedge funds, but even I can't hide my displeasure that the government screwed up. 3 years ago a young guy that was working for me got a £250k second home mortgage, we were paying him £27k, I didn't know if I should laugh or cry.

Chances are I am much smart than yourself, 2nd possible understand them more than yourself really, 3rd you say you work in a hedge fund your industry is part of the problem, hedge funds like Angelo Gordon, BlueMountain, Dillon Read, Renaissance Technologies name but a few.

it doesnt really matter what people protest about, what really matters is the right to a peaceful protest and not rounded up ,locked up against your will like in some 3rd world countries which is important here.

People in this country have proven time after time that they just can not be trusted to actually protest peacefully.
I'd rather they were rounded up and treated badly than allow looting and trouble... Might be a few bad apples ruining it for the peaceful majority, but that's the way it goes.

If people wised up, this wouldn't have to happen.

Chances are I am much smart than yourself, 2nd possible understand them more than yourself really, 3rd you say you work in a hedge fund your industry is part of the problem, hedge funds like Angelo Gordon, BlueMountain, Dillon Read, Renaissance Technologies name but a few.

I'm trying to figure out if you're on drugs or English is your second language (which you should have stated in your original post), I'll give you the beneift of the doubt and say the latter.

Hedge funds just exploited the lack of regulation, like the banking industry who gave out risky mortgages and Mr public who took out a mortgage that they couldn't realistically afford. Which one is more guilty?

I'm trying to figure out if you're on drugs or English is your second language (which you should have stated in your original post), I'll give you the beneift of the doubt and say the latter.

Hedge funds just exploited the lack of regulation, like the banking industry who gave out risky mortgages and Mr public who took out a mortgage that they couldn't realistically afford. Which one is more guilty?

I said Hedge funds are part of the problem, I DID not say they were 100% of the problem. Yes the banks, media, governments should take responsibility.
You say, hedge funs exploited regulation, example if you see two guys fighting and a crowd egging them on, which one is worse in your eyes? the hedge fund here is an individual in the crowd.

By the way if you want to start grousing about internet syntax and spelling, in fact I see a spelling mistake and errors.

Last edited:
People in this country have proven time after time that they just can not be trusted to actually protest peacefully.
I'd rather they were rounded up and treated badly than allow looting and trouble... Might be a few bad apples ruining it for the peaceful majority, but that's the way it goes.

If people wised up, this wouldn't have to happen.

Governments time after time can't be trusted,
so a few bombs in your city one or two and its ok to have marshall law for the rest of you living life? wait even better return to the feudal system thats ok isnt it.

Now whats your point, how the hell do you think you got your freedom today. Bunch of smelly dirty hippies, so when women protested about right too vote they aswell are Bunch of smelly dirty hippies. Grow up man learn protestors etc.. keep many countries in check, otherwise you would be chained up from birth to death working your whole life.

Last edited:
Protesting doesn't make people hippies, there's plenty to protest about. What the hell is a hippy in this day and age?

I'd really, really like to see the original poster write one single coherent post on this subject instead of repeatedly offering statements that indicate no inkling of knowledge or understanding of what is a complex situation.

I challenge you to sit down and spend 30 minutes writing. Get all of your points down, make your knowledge known. At present all you're doing is repeatedly spouting headlines and quite frankly you're embarrassing yourself.

Protesting doesn't make people hippies, there's plenty to protest about. What the hell is a hippy in this day and age?

I'd really, really like to see the original poster write one single coherent post on this subject instead of repeatedly offering statements that indicate no inkling of knowledge or understanding of what is a complex situation.

I challenge you to sit down and spend 30 minutes writing. Get all of your points down, make your knowledge known. At present all you're doing is repeatedly spouting headlines and quite frankly you're embarrassing yourself.

embarrassing yourself, not really iam not the one that thinks the protest this week was a riot, 2 smashed windows and you all calling this a riot, you guys have no clue what a riot is, if your calling this a riot you all most be fags. I guess the muslim march few weeks ago were riots, they did break a window damaged a car ,throwing cones at police.

The posted was about the treatment, not the why behind the protest, it then vias off, read the whole thread not just start to end, its all there, i said why but trying to explain in different ways why there needs to be a right to protest, someone then asked why i went and what was the reasons, gave them reasons, yet still this wasnt good.

However most of the posts here have been if i were in charge i'd beat the living hell etc...
No matter what your points are, some will keep typing the same crap till it goes of the topic.

Last edited:

I wanted to type something to this effect, but I realised he was too far gone.

I think the hippy suggestion is more tongue in cheek, if he came on here with a shred of reasoning he would be given more respect. Let us just mock him and call him a hippy for fun. :D

As a matter of interest: can anyone explain how one should exercise one's right to protest peacefully when a great number of people will attend? ..... come on, imagine it is something that you feel strongly about and that you want to indicate publicly.

Given that many of the participants will be seriously agrieved about something and that they will be met by police in riot gear, who have been notified, as requested, where and when the protesters will be; how should they behave when herded away from where they want to be and then kept 'penned' without access to a lavatory etc?

The OP was outlining the dreadful treatment received by himself and some others, not to argue the toss with the gnomes of OcUK about the finer points of economics; the personal insults are totally unecessary and indicate the intolerance of of some 'holier than thou' types. The rights and wrongs of the reasons for protest are debatable but the right to actually protest is the important thing here.

This quote from "They thought they were free" comes to mind:

"In Germany, they came first for the Communists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;
And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;
And then they came for the Jews, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;
And then . . . they came for me . . . And by that time there was no one left to speak up."

Sofly, sofly catchee monkey.

We are losing more and more freedoms under the guise of anti terrorist legislation and the police seem happy to enforce their orders in a 'robust' manner without considering the rights and wrongs; think yourselves fortunate that there are still people who are willing to stand up against injustice etc.

Stating that we should consider ourselves lucky to not live under a regime that kills, tortures and disappears their citzens for protesting is not acceptable as an argument.

I wanted to type something to this effect, but I realised he was too far gone.

I think the hippy suggestion is more tongue in cheek, if he came on here with a shred of reasoning he would be given more respect. Let us just mock him and call him a hippy for fun. :D

You can't do that most her are ******* retards and have no understand of anything in life, thats why they are losers in debt with no future and always being bu tt fisted by the government.

The vast majority of people posting here, myself included, have supported the police in controlling a potentially very dangerous situation.

While you clearly believe your civil liberties were compromised, the police have a responsibility for the safety of the public, their own officers and property. Previous years G8 summits, for example, have seen protestors setting fire to or vandalising both businesses and personal property, throwing petrol bombs at police and looting. Quite frankly it is disgusting to watch and while I acknowledge that it is a minority of people who act in this way, there really is little the police can do but to contain the protests and thus control the protestors.

You jump from subject to subject answering well thought out posts with single sentences that are often completely incoherent and rarely demonstrate any intellect. This is why I'm challenging you to sit for at least thirty minutes and write about your views of the policing of the protests and your perspective of the current financial crisis. That way, people can have an intelligible debate with you and you can demonstrate that actually, you do know what you're talking about.

Last edited:
As a matter of interest: can anyone explain how one should exercise one's right to protest peacefully when a great number of people will attend? ..... come on, imagine it is something that you feel strongly about and that you want to indicate publicly.

Given that many of the participants will be seriously agrieved about something and that they will be met by police in riot gear, who have been notified, as requested, where and when the protesters will be; how should they behave when herded away from where they want to be and then kept 'penned' without access to a lavatory etc?

The OP was outlining the dreadful treatment received by himself and some others, not to argue the toss with the gnomes of OcUK about the finer points of economics; the personal insults are totally unecessary and indicate the intolerance of of some 'holier than thou' types. The rights and wrongs of the reasons for protest are debatable but the right to actually protest is the important thing here.

This quote from "They thought they were free" comes to mind:

"In Germany, they came first for the Communists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;
And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;
And then they came for the Jews, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;
And then . . . they came for me . . . And by that time there was no one left to speak up."

Sofly, sofly catchee monkey.

We are losing more and more freedoms under the guise of anti terrorist legislation and the police seem happy to enforce their orders in a 'robust' manner without considering the rights and wrongs; think yourselves fortunate that there are still people who are willing to stand up against injustice etc.

Stating that we should consider ourselves lucky to not live under a regime that kills, tortures and disappears their citzens for protesting is not acceptable as an argument.

I don't think many here are arguing with the right to protest or standing up against injustice. The main gripe in this thread, that has been acutely pointed out, is the OP not have any remote idea of why he is doing it or the implications of the policies being taken.

I don't think many here are arguing with the right to protest or standing up against injustice. The main gripe in this thread, that has been acutely pointed out, is the OP not have any remote idea of why he is doing it or the implications of the policies being taken.

Read the the 1st post, i was moaning about how we were treated, not about the reasons why i went and my ideology etc..

Let me put it in simple terms, THE PROTEST COULD BE BECAUSE OF ANYTHING i hope you got that and understand it. I could be protesting for war, water any thing you got it.

What the OP says " the way people were treated". Do you understand.

Last edited:
Now whats your point, how the hell do you think you got your freedom today. Bunch of smelly dirty hippies, so when women protested about right too vote they aswell are Bunch of smelly dirty hippies. Grow up man learn protestors etc.. keep many countries in check, otherwise you would be chained up from birth to death working your whole life.

The UK just isn't that place.
I'm not interested in any past terror attacks or why the protests happen. It's the fact that a large amount of people just go to protests to cause trouble, not to "protest".

It's not the 1900's anymore, I don't think the Government/World powers give a **** what people think. They'll carry on regardless.
If protestors want to trash some buildings and cause a large scale "sigh" from everyone else, go and do it, just stop whining if you don't have free run of the city and the law causes some grief.

The UK just isn't that place.
I'm not interested in any past terror attacks or why the protests happen. It's the fact that a large amount of people just go to protests to cause trouble, not to "protest".

It's not the 1900's anymore, I don't think the Government/World powers give a **** what people think. They'll carry on regardless.
If protestors want to trash some buildings and cause a large scale "sigh" from everyone else, go and do it, just stop whining if you don't have free run of the city and the law causes some grief.
Only one building was trashed, a window or two broken, what you fail too understand, protest does help to highlight negative issues.

Back
Top Bottom