Civilization VI

I'm not saying barbarians aren't a bit much, but surely a lot of it comes down to randomness. I've only on my first game and they haven't been much of an issue, for some people they have, but surely a few more plays to really judge it as you could have just got unlucky.

Yeah it is pretty random, started off about 6-7 times just to see how it pans out. On most of those games, barbarians came in with overwhelming force pretty much forcing you down the military route. On other cases a non-issue. I think you may have just got a lucky game off the bat if its your first game.

A close by City state also helps as they seem to take the flack.

Now my issue is how do you found a religion!!! I can't seem to get a Great Prophet. Have 5000+ faith in the bank, all cities fully upgraded faith buildings, yet nothing?

Yeah it is pretty random, started off about 6-7 times just to see how it pans out. On most of those games, barbarians came in with overwhelming force pretty much forcing you down the military route. On other cases a non-issue. I think you may have just got a lucky game off the bat if its your first game.

Now my issue is how do you found a religion!!! I can't seem to get a Great Prophet. Have 5000+ faith in the bank, all cities fully upgraded faith buildings, yet nothing?

I seem to be able to manage the barbarians by not letting the scout they send out get back to his camp. The mechanic seems to be that if the scout gets back to camp that's when they raise a raiding party on your city.

I don't know if this is relevant but only the first five civs get to form a religion...but that shouldn't stop you getting a Great Prophet.

For some reason during two games I was just minding my own business then everyone declared war on me, bit strange but in general I quite like the game.

Had a little go again today and I have to say I like it but.

Civs are far to aggressive and as for the barbarians, well I just turn them off as the game is nigh on impossible with them and that's at default difficulty.

Huge map is too small.

Civs are too close together on spawn, I found 6 to be just about right for the so called huge map. :rolleyes:

Next game I play am going out on an all war footing as that's what most civs seem to be like, but as I don't like playing aggressively I wont be too happy playing that way. :(

They need to sort the map size and aggressiveness of the civs and sort the dam barbarians out. Its just a cluster **** at the start with them as they are implemented now.

7 out of 10 until they fix the map size and aggressive stance of civs.

Fix that and its 9 out of 10. ;)

need to hunt down the barbs first-
cant let them roam around.

If you've got that much faith, and there is still religions that can be founded, you can buy a GP via the Great Person screen in the top left. Think they take a couple of thousand faith or around the same amount in cold hard cash.

Think that works for any of the Great People.

you have to recruit the prophet from the relevant Special people window. They do not spawn.
Also they are limited to the size of the map. Roughly 50% of the amount of Civs. On huge map, they are 7 prophets available to be recruited for maximum of 7 religions.

Last edited:
Just bailed out of my first game, 12 civs and huge map. Those turn times quickly start mounting. :(

Not a fan of the UI at the moment. It doesn't seem to want to explain things and so founding a religion was just down to luck as far I could tell. The city production section was also unpleasant to use. I suppose I'll get used to it time. The civics/policy card business is a bit mystifying as well. They just keep on appearing/being discovered and I'm like... "Wut!?" :p

Still, it's more appealing than CIV 5 was on release, but it still needs patching and making itself a tad more user friendly.

Just bailed out of my first game, 12 civs and huge map. Those turn times quickly start mounting. :(

Not a fan of the UI at the moment. It doesn't seem to want to explain things and so founding a religion was just down to luck as far I could tell. The city production section was also unpleasant to use. I suppose I'll get used to it time. The civics/policy card business is a bit mystifying as well. They just keep on appearing/being discovered and I'm like... "Wut!?" :p

Still, it's more appealing than CIV 5 was on release, but it still needs patching and making itself a tad more user friendly.

You need to accrue faith points to form a religion, however in each game only a limited number of religions can be founded ( for example, in my current game it is 5 ). So, it is entirely feasible that the other Civs take up all the religions slots leaving you locked out of the religious game.

I should add that prior to forming a religion you first create a pantheon - I think it's 25 faith points that triggers that.

you have to recruit the prophet from the relevant Special people window. They do not spawn.
Also they are limited to the size of the map. Roughly 50% of the amount of Civs. On huge map, they are 7 prophets available to be recruited for maximum of 7 religions.

Yeah did not realize the limit on religion thing. Just looks like the other 5 were already done (10 civs) which explains it. Thanks!

I seem to be able to manage the barbarians by not letting the scout they send out get back to his camp. The mechanic seems to be that if the scout gets back to camp that's when they raise a raiding party on your city.

I don't know if this is relevant but only the first five civs get to form a religion...but that shouldn't stop you getting a Great Prophet.

This. Don't let the barbarian scouts return to their camp otherwise they spawn a horde of warriors etc. If you kill them before they return to camp then they aren't that difficult to suppress. Also, just be vigilant to listen out for the sound notification that a barbarian camp has spawned near you, and be aware that you can see the placement of the camp on the map if you have explored that area before.

For some reason during two games I was just minding my own business then everyone declared war on me, bit strange but in general I quite like the game.

There's a few mechanics to be aware of to minimise aggro : first, each Civ has two agendas ( one is hidden ) that you can learn about through diplomacy, spying, sending a delegate or establishing an embassy. For example, the Congo civ leader usually likes religion to be spread to his territory and if you ignore his lands, and spread religion elsewhere he may just decide to go to war against you for that reason alone.

Secondly, settling cities close to other Civs is a no-no, particularly if you break a promise on that front, or just repeatedly ignore diplomatic requests. Similarly, don't stack up military within 1-2 tiles from their borders. Most civs will complain, and usually denounce you which is often a prelude to war.

Then, of course, there are a few aggressive, militaristic Civs who just want to fight regardless and win by domination. But, they aren't all like that !

To get rid of the annoying Civ problem and focus on the building side/mechanics went on a huge game but island based, nearly 100 turns in before I bumped into another Civ and my religion is beastly, got a good presence on the seas and pretty well set up gold wise so should hopefully do all right.

You need to accrue faith points to form a religion, however in each game only a limited number of religions can be founded ( for example, in my current game it is 5 ). So, it is entirely feasible that the other Civs take up all the religions slots leaving you locked out of the religious game.

I should add that prior to forming a religion you first create a pantheon - I think it's 25 faith points that triggers that.

It's not faith you need to found a religion; it's a great prophet (and a holy site). You get a religion by gaining enough great prophet points to spawn one, or by buying a prophet with gold or faith. I've been putting the +2 great prophet points a turn policy in until I get the prophet.

First game, on emperor, as Sumeria, 8 civs, my conclusions:

- the large maps don't feel large enough, the map is crowded which makes some civs too aggressive, particularly towards city states (3 I met were wiped out in my game before the medieval era)

- the AI still doesn't know how to play the tactical game. France declared war on me, I slaughtered its 8-9 units army with an archer, a warrior, a scout and a warcart and took one of its cities. Most of the AI's kept declaring pointless wars among themselves only to lose units to defensive positions which gave me an advantage

- ranged units are overpowered in most circumstaces, they have too much melee defense

- unit upgrades are much better than in Civ 5

- districts are interesting but they take a bit too long to build

- religion is improved compared to Civ 5

- culture and science are similar in certain ways (culture is now the second tech tree) and they are equally complex

Overall, this is a much better release than Civ 5 although there are balance issues and the game requires more polish.

It's not faith you need to found a religion; it's a great prophet (and a holy site). You get a religion by gaining enough great prophet points to spawn one, or by buying a prophet with gold or faith. I've been putting the +2 great prophet points a turn policy in until I get the prophet.

A third option, I got mine from building Stonehenge (not sure if any other wonders give one), though my religion was quickly wiped out, but anyway....

- ranged units are overpowered in most circumstaces, they have too much melee defense

Totally agree with this.

Back
Top Bottom