Community Fibre

Hello, Just recently joined up to community fibre and whilst its fast I'm only getting around 90 Mbps according to speed test on a 920 Mbps Fibre Broadband plan?? Is there something wrong? Or am I just calculating the Mbps's and megabytes p/s wrong?
You should be getting at least 400mpbs WiFi. Engineer tested it and so did I. Wired I get full 800 to 900mb

You should be getting at least 400mpbs WiFi. Engineer tested it and so did I. Wired I get full 800 to 900mb
yeah thought something was up, will give them a call. Been meaning to get in contact with them anyway because I realised the other day they literally cable tied the fiber cable to the drain pipe instead of attaching it to the wall and now its flapping around in the wind. Thanks for the reply.

yeah thought something was up, will give them a call. Been meaning to get in contact with them anyway because I realised the other day they literally cable tied the fiber cable to the drain pipe instead of attaching it to the wall and now its flapping around in the wind. Thanks for the reply.
No worried. See my pics on now it was installed. They attached it to my wall

I sold my Linksys Velop and plugged the cable that went into it directly into my router. You'll always need a modem to convert fibre to ethernet.
Hmmm, I might be wrong, but aren't all the devices technically "on loan" to you? As I think the terms say all equipment including third party ones that they (CF) provide to maintain the network and it specifically mentions the router as well. Which is the Velop here in this case I believe. So the Adtran Modem is definitely CF, as is the ONT. But the Velop I am not sure, but it does read like it still belongs to CF. Anyone know for certain or can read terms and know for certain what they mean? Or if this has been covered before elsewhere? There's no point selling stuff if you only need to cough it back up later on.

Hmmm, I might be wrong, but aren't all the devices technically "on loan" to you? As I think the terms say all equipment including third party ones that they (CF) provide to maintain the network and it specifically mentions the router as well. Which is the Velop here in this case I believe. So the Adtran Modem is definitely CF, as is the ONT. But the Velop I am not sure, but it does read like it still belongs to CF. Anyone know for certain or can read terms and know for certain what they mean? Or if this has been covered before elsewhere? There's no point selling stuff if you only need to cough it back up later on.
You aren't wrong, but I'll source another Velop years down the line when I leave and return it to them.

As in, I know the T&C's spefically for CF say the items are theirs. If you're worried about that you can always keep it whilst in contract.

Last edited:
Pretty sure most ISPs say the same thing, that the equipment is theirs (you're effectively renting it) and that it needs to be returned.
In reality I've never had an ISP actually enforce this.
By the time you'd ever need to return it the equipment is out of date and not worth the time and cost to them to take it back and reuse it.

The only potential issue I can see is getting support from them, as in if you have an issue and they ask you to plug back in the original equipment for them to test and trouble shoot any connection issues.

You aren't wrong, but I'll source another Velop years down the line when I leave and return it to them.

As in, I know the T&C's spefically for CF say the items are theirs. If you're worried about that you can always keep it whilst in contract.
Ah OK. That's fine then. It's just there's two fronts there I wanted people to be clear in in case they weren't aware. It's fine if you're aware and OK with it like you are. :)

The first being what has been said already, it's still CF equipment. So if you were expecting a quick buck, you may need to cough it back up later on. :eek:

The second being, if you did sell, you should actually wait and talk to CF about it. See what "price" they are asking for it. In this instance, hopefully it's an acceptable price (close enough to what you sold it for), otherwise, try and source another one like @moogle is aiming for. Although I am unsure if CF keeps records of which one you were given, since they apparently can remote into the Velops to help diagnose issues or the Velop phones in if issues arise, and the only way to tell who it is, would be from it's ID. And in that case there's no way to obtain the original, so it would again be a talk with CF.

Ah OK. That's fine then. It's just there's two fronts there I wanted people to be clear in in case they weren't aware. It's fine if you're aware and OK with it like you are. :)

The first being what has been said already, it's still CF equipment. So if you were expecting a quick buck, you may need to cough it back up later on. :eek:

The second being, if you did sell, you should actually wait and talk to CF about it. See what "price" they are asking for it. In this instance, hopefully it's an acceptable price (close enough to what you sold it for), otherwise, try and source another one like @moogle is aiming for. Although I am unsure if CF keeps records of which one you were given, since they apparently can remote into the Velops to help diagnose issues or the Velop phones in if issues arise, and the only way to tell who it is, would be from it's ID. And in that case there's no way to obtain the original, so it would again be a talk with CF.

Haha yeah sorry I was posting on the fly! I added a bit extra in but yes it's good to make others aware of the rules so they don't get penalised, good thinking.

My line of thinking is, it takes up space (storage), I get some money now, my contract is 2y most likely I'll extend because it's been great! So when I do come to buying one when I need to return it, it'll be not as much to buy as right now.

You make good points about the support, and not many would forgo that but as I've experienced with tech support before (mainly VM), I end up going through the script even though I've explained all my testing when contacting them. I think the CF branded Velops do have by default a CF SSID set, but I'll see what happens when I cross that bridge, and I'll report back for you lot! :D

I think in most ISP contracts, they set the equipment penalty at RRP, so I think maybe the VM superhub in my Virgin contract was something ridiculous like £150-200 for that tat.

What did you call him? :D

It looks like a building site, presumably some airborne dust has stuck to it

Yeah, it's the plastic covering so it'll peel off. Mine was like that when I got it installed. I ran a conduit from an outside maintenance port to where I've got the networking installed so they could pull the fibre through.
Something all houses should have to save drilling a hole in the wall each time another service is installed.

Last edited:
It looks like a building site, presumably some airborne dust has stuck to it
Probably, the image is a bit hazy/out of focus so can't really tell, but it looked like scuff marks or dirt marks (caused by dust or dirt sticking to a sticky surface). And me and the neighbours around me have clean spotless boxes, so was a bit surprised if that's how it looks (now, after installation). If that pic was taken just after installation before it was cleaned up, then all good. Again, just surprised if that's the condition it was left in.

Last edited:
90Mbps sounds like something in the link is running at 100Mbps - what is your setup and how are you doing this speed test?
This. Is the PC wired or wireless? If wireless you want to make sure it's on the 5GHz band too otherwise 2.4GHz will hold it back.

That was exactly it!! Slaps forehead :p

Back
Top Bottom