'Contact lost' with Malaysia Airlines plane

Capodecina
Soldato
Don't start with this, please. It's disrespectful if nothing else.

Just because someone employs a school of thought which you disagree with, it doesn't make it disrespectful. There are a lot of skewed ideas already in this thread, people getting emotional and people telling others off for saying things which are apparently inappropriate, when not everyone is going to confirm to the same idea of what happened here or of how to react to it. All we know at this point is that absolutely nothing is being ruled out. If anything it's disrespectful to discredit anyone's else's idea with no valid explanation. And personally I don't rule this out as a possibility.

Man of Honour
Just because someone employs a school of thought which you disagree with, it doesn't make it disrespectful. There are a lot of skewed ideas already in this thread, people getting emotional and people telling others off for saying things which are apparently inappropriate, when not everyone is going to confirm to the same idea of what happened here or of how to react to it. All we know at this point is that absolutely nothing is being ruled out. If anything it's disrespectful to discredit anyone's else's idea with no valid explanation. And personally I don't rule this out as a possibility.

It's not for me to decide what you say, but what you are implying is definitely not a possibility. Whatever happened here was man-made.

I'm quite confident that an "abduction from beings unknown" has been ruled out by all those investigating.

Soldato
It's not for me to decide what you say, but what you are implying is definitely not a possibility. Whatever happened here was man-made.

I'm quite confident that an "abduction from beings unknown" has been ruled out by all those investigating.

All the wild speculation from armchair aviation experts in this thread is just as disrespectful.

Associate
Slightly different story, but I don't know if any of you have seen this article on the Daily Telegraph Website - it concerns the Air France Flight 447 that went missing in 2009.

When you read through the article it is frightening how quickly it happened and how experienced Pilots got it horribly wrong.

What it highlights is that large passenger aircraft can crash without mayday transmissions being made.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/9231855/Air-France-Flight-447-Damn-it-were-going-to-crash.html

Last edited:
Soldato
If its anything like the Airbus that went down 5 years ago off Brazil it wouldn't surprise me if all the crew were sleeping and they'd asked for volunteers to fly the plane in auto pilot.

Associate
If its anything like the Airbus that went down 5 years ago off Brazil it wouldn't surprise me if all the crew were sleeping and they'd asked for volunteers to fly the plane in auto pilot.

The article I quoted from the Telegraph above your post Edinho may well be the plane that you are talking about - it went down near the equator between Brazil and Africa - the Pilots weren't asleep - they were at the Controls and despite a stall warning, one of them actually raised the nose increasing the stall! When you read through it, it appears that technology which was supposed to help them perversely worked against them.

Capodecina
Soldato
The article I quoted from the Telegraph above your post Edinho may well be the plane that you are talking about - it went down near the equator between Brazil and Africa - the Pilots weren't asleep - they were at the Controls and despite a stall warning, one of them actually raised the nose increasing the stall! When you read through it, it appears that technology which was supposed to help them perversely worked against them.

We've discussed Flight 447 is some detail in this thread. The plane went down because of pilot error, nothing else. Even though the pitot tubes froze over preventing any airspeed indications, it was still perfectly possible to fly the plane to safety [we know this because several pilots have flown a simulation of the situation and succeeded]. The co-pilot had no training of hand-flying at high altitude, so resorted to flying the plane like it was close to the ground, which was ill-suited to the situation and caused the plane to descend rather than level out.

Last edited:
Caporegime
What I still don't understand is why they don't have GPS systems on planes yet. Just a GPS and satellite transmitter with a redundant power supply would work wonders in situations like this. Even catastrophic failure could be tracked then (could even track freefall potentially depending on transmittal rate).

They do have GPS and a transponder that relays their location, even single seater aeroplanes will have some kind of GPS device on board these days.

What it highlights is that large passenger aircraft can crash without mayday transmissions being made.

Yes that is already well known, many such crashes have happened.

Associate
Ruppert Murdoch has tweeted saying it was a Jihadist attack. Either he knows something we don't or he is growing madder as he gets older.

Soldato
Ruppert Murdoch has tweeted saying it was a Jihadist attack. Either he knows something we don't or he is growing madder as he gets older.

There's a chance he's right though. I find it very interesting that 2 of the passengers had stolen passports. Also that part of the world is a hot bed for fundamentalist Muslims. Of course this is only speculation right now, but I wouldn't rule it out. Hopefully the authorities can recover the FDR quickly and we might find out what was happening in the cockpit prior to the crash.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato

Im sure there is a fair bit of information that the authorities know, but has not been released to the public yet.

Capodecina
Soldato
There's a chance he's right though. I find it very interesting that 2 of the passengers had stolen passports. Also that part of the world is a hot bed for fundamentalist Muslims. Of course this is only speculation right now, but I wouldn't rule it out. Hopefully the authorities can recover the FDR quickly and we might find out what was happening in the cockpit prior to the crash.

How secure is the cockpit these days? Isn't it pretty securely locked up to help with exactly this kind of incident? At the very least the pilots would have been able to radio to say what was going on.

Soldato

Stolen passports does not equal terrorist. Most of the time it's just illegal immigrants so they can bypass immigration checkpoints.

Man of Honour
How secure is the cockpit these days? Isn't it pretty securely locked up to help with exactly this kind of incident? At the very least the pilots would have been able to radio to say what was going on.

Depends what happened if it was terrorism or hijacking (gone bad) could have been too fast moving for it to have been noticed in the cockpit before it was too late.

Stolen passports does not equal terrorist. Most of the time it's just illegal immigrants so they can bypass immigration checkpoints.

Yup happens a lot with drug related stuff to as well as illegal immigration.

Soldato

Very secure I believe on the 777. However, if it was terrorists, they wouldn't need access to the cockpit in order to bring the plane down.

I never said stolen passports = terrorists, I just implied that it's a plausible hypothesis at this point in time.

Back
Top Bottom