'Contact lost' with Malaysia Airlines plane

I cannot see the reason to attack an MAS flight, going to China. Malaysia is a muslim country, none of the anti-chinese authority terrorists (muslims) have shown the kind of sophistication necessary to pull of something like this. The lack of a mayday does suggest a sudden massive failure, but I would be surprised if were talking terrorism.

If this is a terrorist attach (I pray that it isn't), what are the chances the motive would be 'My sky God is better than your sky God'?

Is there anything to support it being a terrorist "attach"? I'm pretty certain the motives behind actual terrorist attacks are not because of "My sky God is better than your sky God" in fact I cant think of any in recent memory that were.

[TW]Sponge;25974692 said:

Clearly terrorists have attached themselves somewhere to the plane, possibly using super glue.

I'm not fond of flying either. And if someone told me to get a grip before the flight I would most probably punch them in the face. (I wouldn't take it that far, but, you know.)

This does not look good. Whatever has happened, it looks like over 200 people have lost their lives for no good reason. R.I.P

Air France flight 447 never transmitted a mayday call either iirc? So I'd go with tefal's comment about it being possible that it could be pilot error whereby they only realised once it was too late.

The main thing that confuses me about the 447 transcript is the pilots' perception of their altitude during the emergency. No articles I've read say whether or not this was ok and working, but they must have known that they were fast running out of sky very quickly.

Anyway I hope they get to the bottom of this tragedy.

My guess, it didn't squawk on radar entering the airspace so they took anti terrorist counter measures and shot it down, just as we would do in the UK

We don't even have 1,000 miles between us and Russia... I'm fairly sure we would balk at firing at a civilian Russian aircraft flying at 35,000 feet 1,000 miles between our two countries. I'm sure even James Bond would.

Last edited:
My guess, it didn't squawk on radar entering the airspace so they took anti terrorist counter measures and shot it down, just as we would do in the UK

errr normaly we have a look first then shoot it down if it dorsnt respond/we look inside the cockpit.
and only then alst resport before it goes somewhere popualted,in the sea no so much.

errr normaly we have a look first then shoot it down if it dorsnt respond/we look inside the cockpit.
and only then alst resport before it goes somewhere popualted,in the sea no so much.

The pilots are given a camera to take pictures of any "suspicious" aircraft. You'd be surprised how often we launch QRA aircraft.

The main thing that confuses me about the 447 transcript is the pilots' perception of their altitude during the emergency. No articles I've read say whether or not this was ok and working, but they must have known that they were fast running out of sky very quickly.

The altitude indicator was working fine but neither of the pilots had received training in how to deal with an unreliable airspeed indicator at that altitude. Ironically, many pilots subsequently flew a simulation of this flight without any problems.

Sorry if I haven't read the thread and this has been answered already, but how do they know there were 2 passengers with fake passports?

Didn't they check that sort of thing before take off?

Confused.

[TW]Sponge;25975037 said:
Sorry if I haven't read the thread and this has been answered already, but how do they know there were 2 passengers with fake passports?

Didn't they check that sort of thing before take off?

Confused.

Probably because they were subsequently reported as stolen and/or processed through the system after the plane had departed.

EDIT: Looks like their passports had been stolen years before so probably came to light when they tried to contact next of kin or something.

Last edited:
[TW]Sponge;25974678 said:
Simply because there are 1,000,000 times more vehicles on the road than airplanes in the air. ****es me off when people say that.

In terms of accidents per vehicle miles, they're about the same risk, depending on which set of figures you look at ;) I think flying works out to be a little more dangerous per vehicle mile, and much more dangerous per hour travelled. But I'd think the per hour stat is pretty meaningless.

source: a couple quick google searches :p

Back
Top Bottom