'Contact lost' with Malaysia Airlines plane

Caporegime
but why not develope an airliner that has ejector seats? why not really value your customers saftey? rather than accect the unacceptlble loss that they do?

the seats would all mash into each other and everyone would die anyway, not to mention how the hell you get the entire roof to blast off cleanly and not slam back down into the pasengers faces.

Permabanned
Wouldnt something like that be a lot safer for water landing??? Wings nor the engine will hit the water and rip off??

Antonov-148.jpg

Man of Honour
well if they can do it for dual seaters then why not dual x100, it's all down to £££. £ vs human life.

:rolleyes: there's far more reasons than just cost. Its an utterly stupid idea.
And no thanks, I don't want it from a safety or cost perspective. Ticket prices would raise several fold.
Back to the days of several thousand rather than sub £100

They are in no way suitable for passengers.
http://blogs.finnair.com/2010/03/26/ejection-seats/

Soldato
Wouldnt something like that be a lot safer for water landing??? Wings nor the engine will hit the water and rip off??

Well, they would. An aircraft that lands on water is designed to land on water. An aircraft not designed to land on water is going to have a bad time at doing so, irrespective of engine and wing positioning.

Soldato
Get down of your high horse fella cos it's clearly not meant to be funny, Energize isn't the only one to find Nat Geo's aircrash investigation series enlightening, from a lay persons point of view it is genuinely fascinating to watch how the authorities, be it the NTSB or CAA etc draw their conclusions.

It was a very insensitive comment, coming a mere few hours after an aircraft with 240 people onboard had disappeared. And I say that as somebody who never misses an episode of Air Crash Investigation.

240 people likely dead, but oh it should make for a good hour of television! :(

Soldato
i'm afraid of fying on a bus in the 30'000ft in the air? yea cos i can't get out when i Need to.

the whole air "industry" has no value for juman life imo, oh it's "rare"

plane is going down, i have an ejection handle, eject swim time thankyou.

Lol this is a ridiculous idea! You realise that for that to work the entire ceiling of the aircraft would need to be a giant canopy which would dislodge from the rest of the airframe milliseconds after 1 of the ejector seats was activated?

In fact there are about a hundred reasons why such an idea is neither technically possible, practical, or even any safer but I can't be bothered typing out a massive reply lol. Suffice to say, ejector seats on airliners is an idea thats not gona fly!

Associate
This is quite a sad turn of events. If its not been found by now then I think its time to assume the worst. RIP to all :(

Lots of people on airliners.net are talking about the fact the aircraft was involved in a ground collision a couple of years ago that sheared the wingtip off and whether that had anything to do with it.

Flight 447 déjà vu here we go.

And I thought we'd exorcised that ghost. Jesus, I hate this

No ghosts, just some idiot at the controls who forgot his basic flight training at the time it was most needed, to put it bluntly...

The main difference so far between these two events is that MH370 was on radar (I think, could be wrong on that) and simply disappeared, whereas AF447 was over the middle of the atlantic and outside of any coverage - no one noticed it missing until it didnt 'check in' near to the african coast

what i always find hilarious is all thje flotation aids etc on board, only one airliner has ever survived a water landing and that was the Hudson river one.

Debatable - Depending on how you define 'survived' (its not like they patched the hudson plane up and put it back into service after) - There was a hijacked ethiopian 767 that came down near a coastline in the early nineties. Whilst the aircraft did break up somewhat it still remained mostly in large pieces with a high number of survivors.

Caporegime
well if they can do it for dual seaters then why not dual x100, it's all down to £££. £ vs human life.

why do you think packing a load of explosives under everyone's seats would be safer?

ejections eats have caused a lot of deaths both to pilots and maintenance staff.

also where would the roof go?

habving people jump ouit the back would be safer than ejection seats.

also as everyone isnt wearing a flight suit o nboard they're going to be hypoxic and frozen by the tim,e they reach th ground.

or suffering from burns fro mal lthe other seats ejectors.

Caporegime
Debatable - Depending on how you define 'survived' (its not like they patched the hudson plane up and put it back into service after) - There was a hijacked ethiopian 767 that came down near a coastline in the early nineties. Whilst the aircraft did break up somewhat it still remained mostly in large pieces with a high number of survivors.

survived as in didnt smash to a million pieces.

the Hudson river is the only recognized successful water landing.

this is not a successful landing (the plane your citing)

Ditching_of_Ethiopian_Airlines_Flt_961.JPG

Last edited:
Caporegime
Flight 447 déjà vu here we go.

wel no not ata ll given that this is a boeing so doesnt have anything like the set up 447 had for instance a frozen pitot tube would not have changed the planes flight computers handing of pilot imput as only airbuss have that extra layer, and iirc 777s stil lshare pilot feed back so the other pilot would know what the other was doing unlike the airbus case.

Caporegime

Antonov-148.jpg

actually both would hit the water and tear off.

a)wings flex a huge amount

b) the fuselage would still go under fast and the engine dig in.

but also those top wing designs aren't very efficient so they arnt popular outside aircraft designed for take off in ****** surface conditions

but thats not the main issues the problem is water is HARD when you hit it fast and if there's say a ave a few meters high thats like ploughing into a concrete wall ,in your very ery flimsy bit of aluminum.

Back
Top Bottom