'Contact lost' with Malaysia Airlines plane

Soldato
OP
The plane had been flying at an altitude of 35,000ft (10,700m) and the pilots had not reported any problems with the aircraft, Fuad Sharuji, Malaysian Airlines' vice-president of operations control, told CNN.
Src:BBC

Mid flight even a small structural failure might prove catastrophic. Perhaps to the extent gforces would prevent the crew from issuing a mayday or even total destruction in a small timeframe.

Apparently the same plane was involved in a ground collision damaging a wing tip. Could be something or nothing.

Man of Honour
well if they can do it for dual seaters then why not dual x100, it's all down to £££. £ vs human life.

An ejection seat in a fighter plane works by blowing the cockpit roof off first.

Can you imagine why this won't work on a widebody jet airliner?

Soldato
The plane had been flying at an altitude of 35,000ft (10,700m) and the pilots had not reported any problems with the aircraft, Fuad Sharuji, Malaysian Airlines' vice-president of operations control, told CNN.
Src:BBC

Mid flight even a small structural failure might prove catastrophic. Perhaps to the extent gforces would prevent the crew from issuing a mayday or even total destruction in a small timeframe.

Apparently the same plane was involved in a ground collision damaging a wing tip. Could be something or nothing.

This is in Malaysian airspace, so might be the controller wasn't paying attention at the end. Chinese air traffic control had not taken over.
We'll see what they tell us and what they cover up in the coming days.

Would certainly be a strange target for a derpa derpa bomb, but Malaysia can be a bit of a hot bed, and their security is lax to poor at best with the generalised bribing culture at the core.

We'll surely find a bit more out over time.
What plane was it that went down when Air France was flying to Brasil, was that a 777 also? Did we ever get a definitive cause for that incident?

Caporegime
Probably China flexing its shadowy muscles, considering it wants just about that entire part of sea.

Not sure if i can really call that a joke either, since their economy is about to suffer from a huge amount of defaulting companies. (possibly $1.5 trillions worth)

Caporegime
This is in Malaysian airspace, so might be the controller wasn't paying attention at the end. Chinese air traffic control had not taken over.
We'll see what they tell us and what they cover up in the coming days.

Would certainly be a strange target for a derpa derpa bomb, but Malaysia can be a bit of a hot bed, and their security is lax to poor at best with the generalised bribing culture at the core.

We'll surely find a bit more out over time.
What plane was it that went down when Air France was flying to Brasil, was that a 777 also? Did we ever get a definitive cause for that incident?

No the Air France jet that went down off the coast of Brazil was an Airbus A340 iirc. Think they laid the blame at the pilots iirc, a series of errors between them.

Anyhow RIP to all those aboard :(

Soldato
OP
The Air France was something to do with frozen tubes which are used to determine air speed I think. But yeah the pilot failed to follow appropriate procedure. Only when the captain intervened (albeit much too late) was the actual problem realised.

Having said all that it might be another incident I'm describing!

Soldato
FlightRadar24 (and FlightAware) show it get upto 35,000ft, then reports zero feet, and then just disappears :(.
That area of sea has a few of gasfields and loads of fishing boats, so hopefully someone saw what happened.

Internet is speculating as usual :rolleyes:. Current theories are about an Italian who was listed as boarding but has phoned his parents to say he wasn't on it (he lost his passport in 2013 so who was it that boarded?), and a Chinese passenger who is possibly linked to the Islamic terror attack in China a few weeks ago.
Other theory is that coincidentally this plane had its wing chopped off (and then repaired) in a taxiway incident in 2012.

Caporegime
The Air France was something to do with frozen tubes which are used to determine air speed I think. But yeah the pilot failed to follow appropriate procedure. Only when the captain intervened (albeit much too late) was the actual problem realised.

Having said all that it might be another incident I'm describing!

You're talking about pitot tubes.

They have actually caused a few serious incidents in the past.

2 I remember are an accident caused by wasps nesting in the tubes, and the worst one was the ground crew had forgotten to remove the protective sleeve from them.

Associate
Reports surfacing that search teams have seen two 15km long oil slicks in the sea and a possible sighting of jet engines in the water.

Sad news if true but there's next to no chance of this ending well.

Capodecina
Soldato
Reports surfacing that search teams have seen two 15km long oil slicks in the sea and a possible sighting of jet engines in the water.

Sad news if true but there's next to no chance of this ending well.

Only to be expected. Now the long process of finding out what the hell happened. I only hope it doesn't take donkey's years to find the black box like in Flight 447 [yes the two craft are different and we know a lot about pitot tubes now which we didn't one day after 447 disappeared. The fact that both vanished with no initial signs as to what happened is the only comparison I'm drawing between the two at this point. Whoever wishes to question my reference to this can sod off since I will continue to compare the two in this thread regardless].

Soldato
No the Air France jet that went down off the coast of Brazil was an Airbus A340 iirc. Think they laid the blame at the pilots iirc, a series of errors between them.

Anyhow RIP to all those aboard :(

It was the combination of a huge storm hidden from radar and the airspeed & altitude detectors freezing over, confusing pilots who had not be taught to deal with such a situation. Frankly the blame should have been laid on the airline for putting them in those circumstance without proper training.

Last edited:
Capodecina
Soldato
Wasn't it the combination of a huge storm hidden from radar and the airspeed & altitude detectors freezing over?

At the root of it, it was pilot error. Yes, the pitot tubes froze over giving inaccurate readings but it was still very possible for the pilots to maintain control of the aircraft. However, due to ignoring the stall warning, keeping the stick held back, failing to cooperate and general panicking they crashed the damn thing.

It was the combination of a huge storm hidden from radar

I don't think it was hidden from radar. It was a well-known area of intertropical convergence which aircraft normally avoid, but the pilots decided to go through it, mainly because they had not studied the area correctly beforehand.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom