'Contact lost' with Malaysia Airlines plane

I got that from the transcript as a total layman so the question is: when forward speed is unreadable but you have a stall warning and also can see a descent in altitude despite nose up to climb this would indicate a vertical drop from the stall, why did they being experienced air crew not see this?

The stall warning could have been a false positive due to the unreadable air-speed but combined with a drop in altitude should have prompted immediate action to recover from the stall?

Because the co-pilot panicked. He actually had all the necessary data to fly the plane properly. However, in panicking he thinks he is in TOGA and can climb away to safety. The pilots are used to doing most of their hand-flying at low altitude and, being disorientated, the co-pilot reverted to flying the plane like it was nearer the ground, when at 37,000 feet the air is much thinner and the wings give less lift.

There was also the fact that the airbus involved was essentially a giant flying computer. When the pitot tubes (the tubes that show how fast the aircraft is moving through the air) froze over, the computers automatically reverted to a simpler mode which disabled some of the safetly systems. With these systems active, it is essentially impossible to stall an airbus, which is what the pilots were relying on. They got disabled by the computers because said safety systems relied on the data from the pitot tubes to function correctly and, well, function safely.

For a more heavier explanation, google airbus normal law/alternate law/direct law and airbus flight envolope. I saw the full final report for AF447 a while ago which is another "good" read (I say that in quotation marks given the nature of the situation and do hope I don't offend anyone with my phrasing), however im having a little trouble finding it on google at the moment.

IIRC though I'd have to check that Airbus had suffered Air France's usual and not been upgraded to the linked control package.

the linked system simply goes for a "mid point" i'e one poulling up one pushign down both fully it will do nothing.

but it cannot provide force feedback as the joy stick is solid and immoveable.

the linked system simply goes for a "mid point" i'e one poulling up one pushign down both fully it will do nothing.

but it cannot provide force feedback as the joy stick is solid and immoveable.

The joysticks move, not sure where you are getting they are fixed from.

The joysticks move, not sure where you are getting they are fixed from.

what we get informed of at work. but we usually get told the **** that either hasn't come out or gets dumped for being retarded lol.

Airbus is diabolical when it comes to any kind of sane management,

This isn't about how much he cares about the incident, its about how you manage to trivialize the deaths of more than 200 people by pointing out that its going to improve your TV viewing enjoyment.

It's not, that's my point. It's just an opportunity to act righteous. Oh and welcome to OCUK btw, where every death thread is full of jokes and puns.

Last edited:
Might have info tomorrow if a durpa durpa group claims anything naughty, else we might have discovery of wreakage etc. the other was different as it was reasonably far out in deep waters and very hard to recover, so there was basically no info for months.
This should prove somewhat faster, but probably nothing definitive until those black boxes are analysed.
I bumped the other thread for discussion anyway.

For an aircraft to just vanish off radar like this has with no mayday call or radio communications you would first go with a catastrophic airframe failure, pressure bulkhead maybe or a very high possibility of a bomb or missile strike. I don't know if the aircraft had any AHM system in use, if it had then someone already knows a lot more than we do right now!

For an aircraft to just vanish off radar like this has with no mayday call or radio communications you would first go with a catastrophic airframe failure, pressure bulkhead maybe or a very high possibility of a bomb or missile strike. I don't know if the aircraft had any AHM system in use, if it had then someone already knows a lot more than we do right now!

nah usually its that the pilots don't realise they're in danger til lit's too late.

the pilot was incompetent that's all there is too it really.

seriously s small child who's been allowed to play any flight game for a few minutes would have understood the issue.

and no the stall warning isn't affected by the pitot tubes we have sensors in the wings as well that help detect stalls.

Air France is a horrific air line though for cutting corners, taking huge risks terrible attitude to safety in general. if the french government didn't protect them so much they'd have been in court many times with most of the bosses in prison by now.

thier fuel calculations are so penny pinching and worked out by the same type of number crunchers that did jimmy Carr'stax return that pilots have usually no choice but to fly in a straight line, no option for deviation around storms etc.

All I know about Air France is that their business class ... I've slept more comfortable on park benches. Never again.

Very very worrying about the Air Malaysia flight. I flew the same skies two weeks ago on my way to Auckland.

About to book our tickets to the UK, wife is of course now a little nervous.

Strange how something like the size of an airplane just disappears, even with all the technology.
Weather was absolutely fine apparently, even the winds at the altitude were checked and all reports stating completely calm.
Nothing can be ruled out just yet.

If your wife is nervous she needs to get a grip of reality. Your chance of dying in a car crash is 1000x time a plane. Should she not drive? Walk on the pavement? Ect tell her to grow up, if she's nervous, she needs to lock herself in a room and not move, but even then she has a greater chance of dying as a result of a myocardial infarction or the roof collapsing

If your wife is nervous she needs to get a grip of reality. Your chance of dying in a car crash is 1000x time a plane. Should she not drive? Walk on the pavement? Ect tell her to grow up, if she's nervous, she needs to lock herself in a room and not move, but even then she has a greater chance of dying as a result of a myocardial infarction or the roof collapsing

Aren't you something :rolleyes:.

So when you hear about 50 people dying in an Afghanistan bomb or Bono killing a hundred Africans because the ****er won't stop clicking his fingers, do you immediately collapse with grief and rush to the internet to express your anguish?

You see the same in reverse when a new moderator or something is appointed on here. Some people are beside themselves with joy for a name they had no clue posted here. Sheep following the crowd.

But it is very sad what happened. Obviously I can't 'feel' to the same degree those with family on board feels like, but I can relate to the fact that I've been in Air Malaysian planes and have taken the same route quite a few times. Very worrying to think about.

Back
Top Bottom