• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Core 9000 series

I have one of these pre ordered and fancied an easy upgrade path for two more cores from my 8700k. But these temperatures have me reconsidering... Got a beefy Noctua air cooler right now I'm not sure it will handle the 9900k.

What resolution are you at? Why don't you think a 2700X is up to your demands? That would crush your 4770K, not to mention offer excellent value over Intel.
I wish the 2700x would crush a 4770k, but for gaming it just isn't true in most cases (just check GamersNexus review, 2700x and 4790k are always too close (OCed 4770k and stock 4790k are basically the same CPU :/).

The pumps are the issue, sitting at boiling temps water after the first few minutes.
And that reminded me a very informative video of how AIO "lie" to the users.

Oh you're serious. The IHS (aka Tcase) doesn't get to those temps, the reported temps are from the cores or Tjunction. Or technically the delta to Tjunction. What the video above discusses is thermal equilibrium. What the pump head sees, especially with water flowing, at the IHS is way lower than Tjmax.

edit, sorry should add Tjmax is where the delta goes to zero and the cpu starts to throttle.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005597/processors.html

Last edited:
I wish the 2700x would crush a 4770k, but for gaming it just isn't true in most cases (just check GamersNexus review, 2700x and 4790k are always too close (OCed 4770k and stock 4790k are basically the same CPU :/).

Granted, but you're doing a lot more than just gaming with your multi tasking needs... 2700X delivers on that front, and for a great price.

Oh you're serious. The IHS (aka Tcase) doesn't get to those temps, the reported temps are from the cores or Tjunction. Or technically the delta to Tjunction. What the video above discusses is thermal equilibrium. What the pump head sees, especially with water flowing, at the IHS is way lower than Tjmax.

edit, sorry should add Tjmax is where the delta goes to zero and the cpu starts to throttle.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005597/processors.html

The only watercooling that going to survive is the EK MLC/Predator and the custom ones.
However due to their waterflow, it will heat the GPUs.

As for custom, assuming nobody has done the mistake to drop the hot water into the reservoir instead of going into the radiators first.

As long as there's a reasonable flow rate and a rad in the loop thermal equilibrium will take care of the loop temp pretty quickly. Such doom and gloom, I agree the smaller AIO's will go well over the delta 10C range. But cheer up you make it sound like we haven't cooled monsters before. Its the TDP that's dumped into the loop that matters. Think back a bit, had lots of fun clocking 6 core Xeons, X5680 at 1.5v. The TDP on those make this look easy.

OMG not another cpu that needs delidding and lapping your having a laugh right these already cost £600..and I thought the rtx mess was insane I think its time to run my pc into the ground until a worthy console appears in a couple of years. Sad times indeed

OMG not another cpu that needs delidding and lapping your having a laugh right these already cost £600..and I thought the rtx mess was insane I think its time to run my pc into the ground until a worthy console appears in a couple of years. Sad times indeed

AMD do offer very good value in comparison though it's not the end of the line for pc gaming.

My AIO is a Swiftech H360x3

The pump is in the radiator, not the CPU block.
Makes no difference if the pumps moving water in the loop. If its a decent 'system' they should quote a thermal resistance in C/W. The rule of thumb is to aim for less than 10C delta over ambient for the loop temp.

Remembering that each interface has its own thermal resistance and they add as a sum. Block to TIM to IHS to STIM to silicon etc, gradually getting hotter at the core Tjunction.

Not really taken a look at AIO's being an overkill custom loop sort of guy. But a Kraken X60 is 0.0768 C/W. Which isn't all that for a heavy load.

The X60 at 10C delta is 10/0.0768 or 132W. The 9900k hits 210w at stock 4.7Ghz peak turbo on all cores. On a x60 thats 16C delta over ambient and not even overclocked. Adding vcore ups the wattage rapidly. So maybe 20C+ loop temps. Cpu's going to get toasty.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/7738/closed-loop-aio-liquid-coolers/9
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13400/intel-9th-gen-core-i9-9900k-i7-9700k-i5-9600k-review/21

Relax. AMD has great CPUs at great value. Same applies to GPUs.

I see the 9700k and 9900k on another pc hardware site now

9700k base speed of 3.6GHz and turbo of 4.9GHz (8cores 8threads)
9900k base speed of 3.6GHz and turbo of 5.0GHz (8cores 16threads)

Wonder how well will these overclock

Live overclock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpSMW27gzzo

560mm rad CE, 4x Furious vardar 140, D5 pump. 2080ti, Asus Hero XI

Delidded. 5.1GHz. 1.26v. All cores. 70C coretemp on AVX Prime95, 60C's non AVX small fft 8x8. Supposedly the severe most stress test on i9. 276w using test clamp.

Cinebench, 3dmark Time Spy. 1.35v, 70C, 5.3GHz. vrms less than 60C.

16x Prime95 core hit 90C. 24A, 288w.

5.4GHz 1.42v. Cinebench Failing. Max temp 76C. Time Spy pass.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom