Counter-Strike 2

Could someone explain this please. Is it just that the player being more aggressive and looking first has the advantage?

There's a mess of compromises when it comes to displaying what two different players see because nothing is instant.

As I understand between the tick rate and lag compensation whoever pushes has slightly more time to react than whoever is passive.

Some people would like valve to burn money on fast tick servers and give advantage to the lowest ping and fastest hardware as if that would be a better kind of fair.

There's a mess of compromises when it comes to displaying what two different players see because nothing is instant.

As I understand between the tick rate and lag compensation whoever pushes has slightly more time to react than whoever is passive.

Some people would like valve to burn money on fast tick servers and give advantage to the lowest ping and fastest hardware as if that would be a better kind of fair.
In an ideal world everyone would be on identically specced PC, same settings on a LAN where everyone has the same ping.
...But this isnt communist Russia or a LAN party, so its not :D

People have the option of fast FTTB and faster hardware or chosing a cheaper connecton and hardware if they wish.

Surely the best way to make the servers fast as possible and whoever has the best internet connection and hardware (or lower settings) has the advantage. That's always been te case. I remember playing Quake with a ping of a few hundred and wondering why players with a lower ping were so much better. Same with Soldier of fortune, MOHAA and every FPS game ive played.

Warzone 2 is a good example, a couple of my friends think they get the drop. Watching and recording them, no they 100% do not get the drop and die first.

The player who pushes first certainly shouldnt get the advantage, it should be fair on either side. Not too sure how an advantage is given to the player who is pushing - how does the server / game know who is being aggressive? What if both players push equally, does it calculate down to microseconds who is the mst aggressive? Id be interested to know how if so :)

In an ideal world everyone would be on identically specced PC, same settings on a LAN where everyone has the same ping.

People have the option of fast FTTB and faster hardware or chosing a cheaper connecton and hardware if they wish.

Surely the best way to make the servers fast as possible and whoever has the best internet connection and hardware (or lower settings) has the advantage. That's always been te case. I remember playing Quake with a ping of a few hundred and wondering why players with a lower ping were so much better. Same with Soldier of fortune, MOHAA and every FPS game ive played.

Warzone 2 is a good example, a couple of my friends think they get the drop. Watching and recording them, no they 100% do not get the drop and die first.

The player who pushes first certainly shouldnt get the advantage, it should be fair on either side. Not too sure how an advantage is given to the player who is pushing - how does the server / game know who is being aggressive? What if both players push equally, does it calculate down to microseconds who is the mst aggressive? Id be interested to know how if so :)

What you see spectating someone is also different from what they see as well, as like you say, nothing is instant and a compromise has to be made somewhere.

Be interesting to see what pros think of these issues in the first tournament, which could be IEM Sydney October 16th? Does LAN eliminate them?

Tough because Valve release absolutely zero information, but like we've said, a compromise has to be made somewhere :(

Yeah well from Valves POV they can't choose their players or their hardware or connection but they have control of their game.

It's not strictly about pushing but it's called peekers advantage because the easiest way to describe it is someone looking round a corner and getting updated information before the person they saw gets updated information. Thus the communication delay gives an advantage to the "peeker".

Every FPS game has it and has to decide how to hide this communication delay from the player so it "feels" acceptable.

I don't mind the sub tick implementation if it makes things feel weird as a side effect to fairness/accuracy. But if this is just polishing a turd so to speak, with the turd being 64 tick, I'd rather they just move to 128 tick. It's like when people used to complain about adding too many pics in threads for those on 56k. It's irrelevant in 2023. People have good enough connections and hardware now. If you don't, maybe don't play the world's most competitive online FPS. I don't know why we have to cater for Jonny with his Pentium 3 on dialup.

I don't mind the sub tick implementation if it makes things feel weird as a side effect to fairness/accuracy. But if this is just polishing a turd so to speak, with the turd being 64 tick, I'd rather they just move to 128 tick. It's like when people used to complain about adding too many pics in threads for those on 56k. It's irrelevant in 2023. People have good enough connections and hardware now. If you don't, maybe don't play the world's most competitive online FPS. I don't know why we have to cater for Jonny with his Pentium 3 on dialup.

Indeed.

At least with standard 64 and 128 tick the packets are consistent. The subtick introduction has a massive gap between slowest and fastest packets based on what actions are occuring it seems.

It's clever but I hope they can improve on it.

Hey guys I have a Lg oled 4k screen on a 4090 do you suggest I remove vysnc for best gaming experience?

I can't imagine playing super competitive on a 4K LG OLED, so it shouldn't be much of a problem to leave it on in the nvidia control panel with ultra low latency + boost.

If I were playing to win at all costs on, say, a 240Hz+ 1080p screen, I'd probably turn it off like the pros do.

I can't imagine playing super competitive on a 4K LG OLED, so it shouldn't be much of a problem to leave it on in the nvidia control panel with ultra low latency + boost.

If I were playing to win at all costs on, say, a 240Hz+ 1080p screen, I'd probably turn it off like the pros do.

Thank you well I uncapped it and fps is around 300 when vsync is on its capped at 120 dont know whats best

So people saying the peeking issue was there in CS:GO.... was it? Isn't the peeking issue a direct result of the sub tick implementation. It's an artifact of that no? It is confusing. I saw one youtube commentor saying that you only get the peeking issue when you move to the right vs left... I mean wtf?

Just watched this video, not long to watch

Also got a 241mb update to CS2 when I logged in this evening

Last edited:
Used to be an avid CS player back until 1.6 - 12 hour sessions weren't unknown, but gave it up about 15 years ago, got CS2 downloaded and played quite a bit and got the bug back, but struggling with the matchmaking stuff just getting my head blown off every round as i'm building up my skills, whats the best way to find more local servers with more appropriately skilled people. Also need to get myself some more suitable mouse/keyboard than my slow and clunky MS Wireless setup.

Used to be an avid CS player back until 1.6 - 12 hour sessions weren't unknown, but gave it up about 15 years ago, got CS2 downloaded and played quite a bit and got the bug back, but struggling with the matchmaking stuff just getting my head blown off every round as i'm building up my skills, whats the best way to find more local servers with more appropriately skilled people. Also need to get myself some more suitable mouse/keyboard than my slow and clunky MS Wireless setup.

Wait a few weeks until the ranks filter through (this is in premier mode) as they have all been reset, Then the matchmaking "should" be better. If you're playing competitively but selecting individual maps then the same should apply.

What you see spectating someone is also different from what they see as well, as like you say, nothing is instant and a compromise has to be made somewhere.

Be interesting to see what pros think of these issues in the first tournament, which could be IEM Sydney October 16th? Does LAN eliminate them?

Tough because Valve release absolutely zero information, but like we've said, a compromise has to be made somewhere :(

Have you got a CS rating yet? I placed at half what I was in the limited test :( gonna be a bit of a grind to get up now!

Back
Top Bottom