***Dayz: Stand Alone Thread***

Soldato
Had quite a good time with Fishbait in game.

Had a lovely afternoon picking apples, when we FINALLY found each other! :D

I will look for my mic tonight, I think it is under my bed, still in packaing. Just a clip on mic should be ok right? I have speakers for sound.

Associate
hehe, it did take quite some time finding each other & when we finally ran into each other, I dropped dead of hypothermia lol.
Still amazed I spawned right near there too afterwards :D

Will probably try some tonight or tomorrow night.
Reminds me, still no idea wtf I am, but that loot. Woooooah, the loot! \o/

Soldato
I meet up with a guy I met in game most evenings and if we spawn in as freshie it can often take us about an hour to meet up but to be honest that's often looting up for the basics (stone knife, back pack, food/drink, rags, something to shoot). If you are both quite far apart then depending what sort of plan you have, one of you may want to suicide (shoes off and walk off tall building/crane/bridge) and get a closer spawn - I like out of the way spawns such as Berezhki (north east) and do northern highway run or south east Krutoy or Skalisty Island (not so 'out of the way' these days).

With speakers and mic you will probably get feedback or echo - even a cheap or 2nd hand headset/mic combo will do the job (earbuds would be fine too with your clip on mic) but given you can get good but cheap headsets, I would probably invest in a set. You WILL get killed 99% of the time without a mic - cut to ~50% if you do (outside of military areas).

I tend to play with map open on second monitor, even though I know the map well, trying to gauge where someone else is from a vague description or trying to locate new areas for bases or for new deer stands can be way easier on map, for example. Izurvive.com map is fantastic, plus you can setup a group and share it with friends, as well as tagging locations of bases established (or found!) you can setup way points for that evenings meetup. I use it to tag logout points and server name/ip addresses as I have anywhere up to 3 characters on the go at once.

I have one currently that is trying to save my mate that has cholera, another just west of Cherno that got into a fire fight last night and another which I'm trying to establish a community base on Skalisty.

If you're showing a status of 'cold' or wet, just keep running and you shouldn't get worse - finding firefighters jacket, gorka raincoat from military areas or a rain coat will protect you. Leather jackets give you limited waterproofing but still get wet. You can make fireplace and improvised hand drill (to light fire) - guide here (sorry if you know this already).

Soldato
Having read the last few pages of this thread I'm assuming most of you don't know about the apple, stone and stick spamming exploit?

When you're at an apple tree just spam "f" repeatedly for ages and you will get loads of apples. Same with stones and sticks.

Soldato
Having read the last few pages of this thread I'm assuming most of you don't know about the apple, stone and stick spamming exploit?

When you're at an apple tree just spam "f" repeatedly for ages and you will get loads of apples. Same with stones and sticks.
The apple one isn't that simple now. You need to have run up to the tree and initiated searching whilst still running. Keep holding down the running key, and when the search has stopped, then you can spam your Use key.

Soldato
The apple one isn't that simple now. You need to have run up to the tree and initiated searching whilst still running. Keep holding down the running key, and when the search has stopped, then you can spam your Use key.

I was playing yesterday and just a standard spam of "f" was working for me. Seems to work better if crouched mind.

Soldato
That should just search cancel search cancel etc. leading to nothing. Most odd! That still works for fountain drinking, but nothing else for me.

Yet more iffy from the dayZ stable.

Soldato

Don't get used to it - when new player controller comes out in 0.63 this won't work. I've done apple glitch before but it IS a survival game and the idea is it is supposed to be hard. Starving? Kill a chicken/wolf/deer/cow, build a fire and cook. You can sit at an apple tree for 2-3 minutes and get bright green hydrated/energised anyway.

Anyone notice infected movement has changed and every now and then they run or move in a way that previously only when "agro'd" on a player? Was scoping out a town yesterday, server had dropped to very low pop whilst playing and definitely nobody there, very disconcerting!

Soldato
I thought this game was shut down, nobody playing it i heard.

Is it still going? When i last played, development had stopped.

Yes, still going. Not anywhere near as popular as it was but still thousands play daily. Really nice communities to be found within the game too, depending on server(s) you play on.

If you haven't played for a year or more then you should try it out. Latest three patches (0.60, 0.61, 0.62) have been real game changers, plus the next patch, hopefully due in the next 6 months, will be beta so will sort out a huge number of the smaller issues that derive from using the old Arma legacy controller.

Development has never stopped but as I have posted elsewhere on this thread, the developers realised there were limitations with the Arma engine they were working with so Bohemia basically commissioned them to develop what will become the Arma 4 engine. So not only were they developing a game with an old engine, they had to co-join the old and new engine together (with all related issues), whilst developing not only the new system but continually fixing bugs that naturally arise due to splicing two engines together. Development has been slow but for many game houses/developers, the engine would either be pre-existing (e.g. PUBG and Unreal engine) so starting with a stable base to begin - on that basis, ~4 years isn't bad, all the while keeping the game updated every now and then.

The game is much more stable. Still issues, no doubt, but on the whole a much improved game. When modding comes in (when beta comes out) this game will become huge again, I have absolutely no doubt.

Associate
Noticing some +100 viewers streamers back on DayZ of late: Has there been a marketing push for this game or something?

Latest patch has made it very stuttery in built up areas, which is really annoying, but still better than the A3 mods' performance.

Soldato
Noticing some +100 viewers streamers back on DayZ of late: Has there been a marketing push for this game or something?

Latest patch has made it very stuttery in built up areas, which is really annoying, but still better than the A3 mods' performance.

Loads of streamers get anywhere from 100-1000 viewers on a weekly basis. I'm subscribed to many of the following and mod for some growing channels, all of whom stream DayZ (exclusively for most of them) multiple times a week: TheRunningManZ, M1ndr, TopeREC, Deadlyslob, SuperFTLol, MrBlueandQueenie, Markstrom, 5mokeTV, WOBOstreams, FubarBundyy.

It is widely regarded as one of the best games to stream on Twitch from a chat/interaction basis which is why there continues to be a small but very dedicated support for this game. No, Bohemia have amazingly not spent 1 cent on marketing.

Latest patch has issues, the game isn't optimised yet but true test will be when beta comes out in around 6 months time. I get lower frames in bigger cities (but still perfectly playable) but my friend who runs mid-level ATi does struggle in high loot and graphically complex areas. Edited to add - that is a little misleading regarding graphics and frame drops as most of this is down to CPU.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom