Poll: DC contributurs meeting / beers / get together - Reading - 28th October

It's in Reading, but when are you available (select all that apply)

• Friday, October 20th

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Saturday, October 21st

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Friday, October 27th

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Saturday, October 28th

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
Well, no can do the 14th, but the previous week is OK. May be worth picking a date nearer the end of October if people need time to organise. If people are travelling, then Saturday may be better than Friday as well (for escaping work). Just suggestions. :)

PS - like I said, if someone wants to get together in Colchester, you are most welcome to organise that. I'm just trying to cajole things along so they don't stagnate/die (it's happened before), so please don't be offended. Heck, I'm an Essex lad at heart anyway. :)

Soldato
Argh this is all a bit short notice for me. Just gone back to uni, I have no money and I work on Saturdays!

Looks like I might have to sit this one out :(

I wouldn't have minded Reading but I would prefer somewhere a bit [read: a lot] closer. Too many damn southerners in Team 10 :p

SiriusB

Soldato
OP
we'll make it a weekend later on in October then, how about the 20/21st 27/28th ???

Beserker I think we're going to need a poll here or I'm going to make a decision and end up sat in the pub on my own :(

Paul

Soldato
Voted.

I said both Saturdays in preference, but I should think Fridays would be OK too. Basically, I just don't know how things will pan out when I get to uni or what I'll be doing on those dates. So, if a date is decided, I'll think about it closer to the time :cool:.

Associate
OK, that's enough fence sitting for me.

Tempted, very tempted, to drive down South to meet up with the OcUK DC Clan. I would probably stay overnight so then at least I can have a little drinkie. Saturdays would me much better for me as well as work is a bit manic at present (Already voted). Somthing to use my Hilton points on perhaps

If I'm driving, this also opens up the oppertunity for picking up any some stragglers along the way (waves at SiriusB to make his decision even harder). So space for 3 or 4 of the clan from the Northwest and the route down South (M6, M42 general area if the diversion isn't too great if Reading is the agreed location).

Soldato
Happy to give drunken (but not pukey) members a lift back to hotels in area We don't want any drink/driving accidents that cut our production now do we :p and thoses up north would have a heart attact at london cab prices :D

Coming for the pie and company, not the beer, so don't mind ferrying up to 4 fokes to their beds if that helps anyone that's still 'on the fence'

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I voted for Saturday 21st but it just occurred to me that my folks are coming to stay on the 20th and probably won't be leaving until lunchtime at the earliest. This wouldn't make attendance impossible but quite difficult.

The following weekend, I am free but I am heading back to Egypt on the following Tuesday which would make for a hell of a lot of travelling over the space of a few days.

I would prefer the 21st (if I can get flights etc to fit in).

Obviously the majority rules - so, in the meantime, I'll check up on flights and keep my fingers crossed.

Stan :)

PS: Excuse my ignorance but which airport is closest to Reading :o

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
rich99million said:
Heathrow? :confused:

just a guess in any case :p

Correct :p

I sussed it out for myself (Googled nearest airport Reading and up it came).

just checking out flights now - looks like I can do Aberdeen - Heathrow for £80 return so I would just need to suss out train fares - or if some kind DC person happened to be near Heathrow, they could always swing by and pick me up ;)

Edit: and a hotel obviously.

Man of Honour
If the lift isn't forthcoming (which may happen as Heathrow to Reading is a fair distance) ...

Heathrow -> Reading railair link. It's a bus service, and I'm sure you can guess the rest. Classics like not calling at Terminal 4 (the very terminal I wanted), and bus staff that didn't have a clue which stand it left from at Heathrow Bus Station. Usual stuff. Used it a couple of times though.

The only other option is Heathrow express into paddington and then back out again to Reading.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
rich99million said:
I could swing by that way Stan seeing as I'm not having to come far anyway - no probs :)

edit: oh and get you back there of course - unless anyone else is passing

What an excellent fellow you are.

I may stay an extra night and head back up on the Monday as it would seem silly flying all the way down for one night - in which case, I would make my own way back to the airport.

Just have to wait for the final decision on the date now.

Soldato
OP
sorry for the lack of updates guys, I'm more than a bit snowed under at work at the moment (I'm still here working and will be for most of the weekend) It looks like the 28th is popular at the moment so perhaps we should set a closing date of say wednesday at which point we'll decide on the most popular date and go with that one?

as for flying around to make the meet up :eek:

Farnbrough and blackbushe airports are both geographically closer to reading than heathrow but the bus link will make heathrow by far the easiest way.

I'll be driving from Camberley to this event as well if anyone needs a lift en route

Paul

Man of Honour
The poll has already been set to close tomorrow. If you want that extended, let me know, but as it stands I think the 28th appears to be as good as any.

Now to sort the plan. Early start? Late start? I'm local so it doesn't bother me (except I have to be sure I'm on the last train home). :)

Back
Top Bottom