Dell 2209wa on its way and....

Soldato
Amleto did you buy you're 2209wa off an e-tailer or direct from dell? did you have to get order numbers off your e-tailer to give to dell for the advanced collection?

cheers mate

I didn't get mine directly from dell. all they needed was the serial number.

Associate
I got mine from OcUK, arrived yesterday - first impressions very good.

This morning I moved around all of my PCs, monitors, to accommodate the new 2209, when I next used it the picture was flickering intermittently, and when adjusting the panel angle/height, blocks and lines appear flash on and off the picture. It was even doing it without a PC attached, so not the graphics card or cabling.

The problem seems to have almost disappeared after leaving the monitor on all day, but this is definitely one I'm going to exchange via Dell - just hope the service is good!

Soldato
Sweet, and did you make sure they'd send a new one out? i.e ask
Thanks for the help mate

they wont send a new one if they have 'stock' in their support centre. The guy that I spoke to explained their 'stock' was cancelled orders, not returns. In any event, they didn't have stock when I returned the second one, so they had to send a brand new one out from the factory.

Associate
no 1:1. im afraid.

That's a pity, though its probably not as much of an issue at 1680*1050 as it is on larger 1920*1200 or 1920*1080 panels.

Still I'm quite tempted just to go for it at its current price, and maybe pick up a 24" version when they come.

Soldato
Will be interesting too see if they do release a 24" version, only issue is they might try and charge a ridicolous £400+ for it or 2x the value of this 22" one.

Will see regardless :)

Associate
e= economy i think

not exactly sure what you mean. When scrolling on my tn screen the letters get a bit dimmer, and then back to bright/normal colour when scrolling stops. when scrolling on 2209wa, the letters dont seem to change colour.
hth

Yes that's what i mean,i find it annoying on TN screens,doesn't happen on crt monitors.Glad the 2209WA doesn't "shimmer"
Thanks again

Associate
Ordered mine on friday looking forward it getting here tomorrow, it'll be good to replace my cheap as chips hanns g 19" with a real screen, i still cant get over the price dell are selling them for about £230 i believe. i'll post some snaps of it tomorrow

Soldato
Well wow to Dell.

Called them up. Gave the the serial number. They transferred over their premium warranty to me, asked me if I wanted a recon next day or wait 7 days for a brand new (of course I went brand new) and said I could keep the old one for as long as I wanted lol

They are picking up the old one in 2 weeks time. Very impressed TBH. Was on the phone for 20mins @ 5p a min though but I'm not complaining :)

Associate
There is big thread about this monitor on another website and a few of the posters reckon this is the best setup...
9-10 brightness and 70 contrast

One poster the below...

The best calibration I found without using a spyder is:

11 brightness
Red - max
Green - 96
Blue - Max
Sharpness - 40

Gamma set to 45% in nvidia control panel (default is 50)

Video card is 260gtx

I just noticed the glow goes down a lot just from switching to 11 brightness instead of 12.

I actually like this better than the spyder profile, the spyder tends to screw up your grey scales or just change the grey scale from light greenish tint to light reddish or whatever.

Just ran nvidia display optimization after setting gamma to 45% and now the monitor looks 10x better than it's factory settings. With factory default settings everything is washed out and the gamma is too bright making it look like you're viewing a TN panel. The amount of laziness Dell put into this monitor is astounding. Would have taken them all of 1 hour or less to set the gamma properly in the firmware yet they didn't even do it.

My spyder2pro is unable to set the gamma properly on this for some reason. I don't think it is sensitive enough to adjust LCD's at low brightness.

Associate
Just got home all excited to not find any monitor. :(

Tried the dhl consignment number to see where it is (email said shipped saturday, ordered friday) and doesn't lead to anything. I'm guessing useless DHL are taking a day to think about delivering, so hopefully will be here tommorow.

Associate
hey,
Just though i'd post some shots of my newly insalled screen, got it today thanks to overclockers and dhl, excellent service as always.
The other screen is a Hanns G 19" ws TN pannel, their both connected via DVI to a ATI 3870x2. The dell is yet to be calibrated in the photos and the backlight is a 10w strip light. And yes i know its mess but that will be sorted soon.

3342096846_52fb5057ba_o.jpg

3342097706_a1fe8a9eb1_o.jpg

3341263771_b957e92ea7_o.jpg

3342097422_e9d60572e5_o.jpg

3341263213_de6dc79616_o.jpg

pretty damn good by my account, if your intrested in the EXIF data it should be embeded, if not have a look on my Flickr.

Associate
My settings after calibration with a Eye-one Display 2 device:

Target 80cd/m2 6500k 2.2

Brightness 0
Contrast 60
Red 93
Green 95
Blue 95

Associate
@ spotter300 - What mount are you using for your monitors and do you think it will take two of these dell panels?

Setup looks great!

Its a no name ebay job, cost me £65 from the US last summer, when the dollar was very weak. but it could easily hold 2 the clamp is nice and strong and its all steel. I hope to buy another when i can afford it so i'll post some snaps then. thanks

Back
Top Bottom