Dell 2209wa on its way and....

Associate
From the brief play I had with the brightness and contrast when I was in the office I turned the brightness down but if I put it as low as 10 or 0 this made the picture very dark. Am I missing something here?

Soldato
From the brief play I had with the brightness and contrast when I was in the office I turned the brightness down but if I put it as low as 10 or 0 this made the picture very dark. Am I missing something here?

Well certainly when you first turn it down it looks dark for a while. Also most will be suggesting for a dim/dark room i'd imagine.

I'm on

brightness 10
contrast 70

everything else default for the moment.

Associate
Just ordered one, should get here tomorrow. Hopefully there'll be no dead pixels, can't wait to set it up and replace my ailing 17"! :D

Associate
Hi can someone please give me the height measurements for the monitor (height of the viewable screen and height from the top to the bottom of the surround). I currently have a 19" 4:3 and want dual screens and want the monitors to be about the same height.

Soldato
I seem to be getting a certain amount of buzzing (audible from a metre away) when the brightness is set below 30. Anyone else had this?

I hear buzzing as well. Only if nothing else is on in the room. I'll test it against the new one they send me which may be a newer made date.

Soldato
mines as slilent as the deep, how very odd

Its a hard thing to gauge over the net really. I'm not saying you're wrong/deaf but both mine so far have a buzz....its very very faint and the room must be pretty silent to hear it. I'll check on the next one though and report back.

Associate
I hear buzzing as well. Only if nothing else is on in the room. I'll test it against the new one they send me which may be a newer made date.

Did you give Dell a call, were they willing to exchange it without hassle? I've been on to their website but i don't think theres a service tag on these 2209WA's.

The only way i can get rid of the buzzing noise is by turning the brightness up to 100 (maximum). I'm not sure i can live with the noise, i might have to return it.

Associate
Thanks, yeah i know where the serial number is, i was looking for a service tag (which it transpires that don't actually have).

I gave Dell a ring, and they're going to send out another one within 14 days. I'm taking a gamble here because the one i've got is perfect other than the buzzing noise, no dead pixels, colour reproduction/uniformity is good etc etc.

Soldato
Did you give Dell a call, were they willing to exchange it without hassle? I've been on to their website but i don't think theres a service tag on these 2209WA's.

The only way i can get rid of the buzzing noise is by turning the brightness up to 100 (maximum). I'm not sure i can live with the noise, i might have to return it.

Just gave them the serial number...that was enough. located on a pull out plastic card on the left hand side.

Anyway my replacement arrived!!! but its a E2209W what ever that is? Doesnt look good on google. Sigh....back to dell it goes.

EDIT: credit to dell they have already sorted the mistake, and a brand new 2209wa is on its way shortly.

I'll have a triple monitor set-up at this rate :)

Last edited:
Associate
My replacement is on it's way, DELL has stated a 14 day wait time. Not fussed though as i still have the original one. Must say very relunctant to let it go, given that it's near perfect, but last night the buzzing was driving me crazy.

If DELL hadn't been so helpful, i'd most likely have returned it under DSR, not sure if overclockers.co.uk would have swapped it out (guess it would have been a good test).

Soldato
My replacement is on it's way, DELL has stated a 14 day wait time. Not fussed though as i still have the original one. Must say very relunctant to let it go, given that it's near perfect, but last night the buzzing was driving me crazy.

If DELL hadn't been so helpful, i'd most likely have returned it under DSR, not sure if overclockers.co.uk would have swapped it out (guess it would have been a good test).

If it was driving you crazy then it must be defective. I have sensitive ears and I have to listen for mine very close. TBH I can hear most electrical stuff on from a distant.

I was quoted around 7-10 but the bloke said its likely to be sooner. Glad I can keep using my monitor in the mean time.

Associate
Dell have arranged my replacement, too - the guy was very helpful and said I'd have the replacement next day, which I thought was too good to be true.

So I asked him if it was going to be a brand new one, and it turned out that this would be for a refurb!

Hold on, my monitor is only four days old says I - "well OK, I can arrange for a brand new replacement but it will take 7-10 days because it has to be built in Ireland then shipped over to the mainland!" Whatever. I was never given the option to choose between a refurb or brand new screen, which I thought was a bit sneaky.

I gave him my email address - do they send out a confirmation email for monitor RMAs?

Associate
Just got mine! It's beautiful and on first inspection seems to be a good one! Just got to set it up and run a few tests now! :D:cool::D

Associate
That has me a little worried in that case because as i say i rang yesterday and was told i'd have to wait up to 14 days for a new one, and then i got a call today saying it'd be delivered this afternoon, makes me think i'm getting a refurb one now.

Is there anyway to ascertain if it' a new or refurbed one?

Last edited:
Soldato
That has me a little worried in that case because as i say i rang yesterday and was told i'd have to wait up to 14 days for a new one, and then i got a call today saying it'd be delivered this afternoon, makes me think i'm getting a refurb one now.

Is there anyway to ascertain if it' a new or refurbed one?

Yes the refurb one will be shocking, scratched, fingerprints all over it,dead pixels, may not switch on.

Well thats my experience with refurbs from dell :) , just reject them and moan like crazy for a new one

Back
Top Bottom