Destiny 2... It's a coming!

I'm sure it'll be fine... Hopefully! God I really want it now. I haven't even touched Destiny since I heard 2 was coming to PC. In fact I haven't used my PS4 in weeks/months lol

Good article up on Bungie re networking. Looks like they have made some good changes coming from D1. https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/45919

Matt: Every activity in Destiny 2 is hosted by one of our servers. That means you will never again suffer a host migration during your Raid attempt or Trials match. This differs from Destiny 1, where these hosting duties were performed by player consoles and only script and mission logic ran in the data center. To understand the foundation on which we’re building, check out this Destiny 1 presentation from GDC. Using the terms from this talk, in Destiny 2, both the Mission Host and Physics Host will run in our data centers.​

Wait, so we do have dedicated servers?

Matt: We don't use that term, because in the gaming community, “dedicated servers” refers to pure client-server networking models. Destiny 2 uses a hybrid of client-server and peer-to-peer technology, just like Destiny 1. The server is authoritative over how the game progresses, and each player is authoritative over their own movement and abilities. This allows us to give players the feeling of immediacy in all their moving and shooting – no matter where they live and no matter whom they choose to play with.​

Edit:
Sod it pre orders and paid for pc version just need the release date now to book day off from work:D
A day?! Those are rookie numbers man :P

Last edited:
The most important thing is that player gear and progress is constantly tracked by the game server, so that pretty much rules out Diablo 3-style item and character hacks & manipulation, as well as movement hacks.

(The console version of Diablo 3 that is, everything was client-side and p2p, and has led to massive proliferation of cheats and hacks that has all but killed off the game, same for the PC version of The Division, which is why everyone is so nervous about Destiny 2 PC)

Same for the PC version of The Division, which is why everyone is so nervous about Destiny 2 PC)
Trust me I know full well about the PC version of The Division. I think that a) I trust Bungie a lot more than Ubisoft / Massive etc and b) it's good that Bungie are openly talking about it already, whereas The Division basically ignored it and pretended it wasn't there

Trust me I know full well about the PC version of The Division. I think that a) I trust Bungie a lot more than Ubisoft / Massive etc and b) it's good that Bungie are openly talking about it already, whereas The Division basically ignored it and pretended it wasn't there

Agreed and also, the division is p2p but also has absolutely terrible netcode so the desync issues are exemplified in PVP - that is why massive never talked about it - because the scale of the rework heavily outweighs the amount of resource they can put to it.

I don't see destiny 2 p2p even being comparable to division p2p because of the points you had :)

Yeah, based on that article I'm happy that Bungie are taking the right steps :) God knows why they didn't have that as a one liner in the reveal :confused: "We have moved more key networking features to our own servers for D2"

Just need them to mention they actually do have a ranking system planned for PvP :D

I want to pre order this but im worried that due to the PC release date being unannounced it'll be early 2018 in which case i am sooooo out. Hopefully we'll know more at e3.

I want to pre order this but im worried that due to the PC release date being unannounced it'll be early 2018 in which case i am sooooo out. Hopefully we'll know more at e3.
Same here. Not pre-ordering until I have an idea of when I'll get to play and if there's a beta' when it will be.

I wouldn't pre-order, there is no need to just wait for some deals etc to pop up. There also more than likely won't be a beta for the PC, it is just how these things go as a PC build takes a lot more work and as a beta is no longer a beta but a demo these days you get too much bad press if you have poor performance, compatibility etc.

As for the release I can see it coming out around a month after a console as the build looks quite far a long and I don't think they would have showed it off at the event if it is 5-6 months away. The main reasons there isn't a date at the moment is going to be due to the Sony contract Bungie/Activision have. That is worth a lot of money and probably has countless agreements tied to it so Sony will want the PC and Xbox marketing to be at a minimum until it launches on PS4. So expect some PC launch details in the future and for it to be out around a month or 2 after console at the latest would be my guess.

But as with every game there is no reason to pre-order at the moment or even at all! Just wait for more info never mind how thirsty you are for that sweet sweet Destiny gameplay.

Eh I'm not cancelling my legendary edition pre-order. Mostly because I refuse to double dip. I waited years to play this on PC. I'm not giving up at the last hurdle!

Did you end up getting the D1 collection for PS4 in the end dude?

There also more than likely won't be a beta for the PC, it is just how these things go as a PC build takes a lot more work
Disagree there, they have already stated there is a PC beta

Bungo said:
Destiny 2 is available for pre-order on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC. The Beta will be available on all three platforms. Your Destiny 2 Beta Code will grant you access to one of these platforms.
Besides, they would be really dropping the ball considering the hype over the PC version and the fact that they had playable PC content at the reveal. D1 Beta didn't have that much more content compared to the playable content at the reveal. D1 Beta included a few story missions, some Earth free-roam, 1 strike and Control PvP on two maps IIRC.

Did you end up getting the D1 collection for PS4 in the end dude?

No i didnt mate, ive just started a time consuming job leaving very little time for play at the moment. Also the price has gone up like £3 and its no longer on sale,merrrrrh. < this last sentence is just for personal justification :D

My personal theory is the battle.net integration taking time. It's a different beast to PSN and Xbox Live which Bungie has had over a decade of experience with now.

Four different companies are involved with the PC version: Activision publishing and funding, Bungie doing the game, with Vicarious Visions doing the PC version along with all its modifications and extra PC-centric features, and finally Blizzard doing the networking. I'll be surprised if it comes out in September. My guess is a November release in time for the holidays.

I was under impression bungie are doing some work on pc though? I didn't think it was all getting handed over to a different team

It's sort of a port and sort of not a port, they are working in tandem. Obviously Bungie develops the base game, then it gets handed over to Vicarious Visions to adapt to the PC platform. All the differences you see between the console and PC versions is VV's work (additional PC graphics options, control methods, altered view models & UI, ultra-widescreen support, variable framerates etc)

I mentioned earlier that it's 4 studios working on Destiny 2, I was wrong it is in fact 5, High Moon Studios are working on it as well, but it isn't precisely clear what exactly they are doing. Probably the expansions.

It's sort of a port and sort of not a port, they are working in tandem. Obviously Bungie develops the base game, then it gets handed over to Vicarious Visions to adapt to the PC platform. All the differences you see between the console and PC versions is VV's work (additional PC graphics options, control methods, altered view models & UI, ultra-widescreen support, variable framerates etc)

I mentioned earlier that it's 4 studios working on Destiny 2, I was wrong it is in fact 5, High Moon Studios are working on it as well, but it isn't precisely clear what exactly they are doing. Probably the expansions.

Sounds like it could get messy

right guys i managed to get extra copies of the exclusive loot from the destiny event. all i want is £5 each (to cover postage and fuel) for anyone that wants one. i can post pics in a second

http://imgur.com/a/beQEx

obviously i only have a limited number. just send me a trust message if interested

forgot to post in here. got a few left. otherwise going to ebay them at the weekend.

these were exclusive to the 4 or 5 cinemas that live streamed the event in the UK. so not in general circulation.

Back
Top Bottom