Diesels Vs Petrol *DEBATE*

Originally posted by Maz

I enjoy driving Diesels but I enjoy driving Petrols more.

I love revving the hell out of a petrol engine, I love the sound they make, I love the smell of petrol and I love thrashing them.

Diesels make driving easy and thats it really.

Makes it less fun for me.
That actually sums it up for me pretty well.

I spent an hour or so blasting flat out down a load of Leicestershire country lanes, and in a diesel it just wouldn't have been as much fun :)

Originally posted by Maz
TBH i don't really care.
I enjoy driving Diesels but I enjoy driving Petrols more.
I love revving the hell out of a petrol engine, I love the sound they make, I love the smell of petrol and I love thrashing them.
Diesels make driving easy and thats it really.
Makes it less fun for me.

Well said Maz - Ive decided my next car will be a diesel - purley for the fact Im doing 45 / 50 miles a day going to work + silly mileage at weekends car/part chasing, and I have my 'toy' for the weekends....
Best of both worlds then.

Blatting / race use = Petrol
Highly exciting drive to work (not) = Diesel

Originally posted by ratface

To save your sanity hire a diesel for a few weeks before buying, I wish I had never bought the damb thing. Filling it up is horrid, if there is no plastic gloves at the service station your hands will stink of diesel all day.

Ratty

That indeed is very true, i hate filling diesels up at work because my hands stink for ages afterwards.

Originally posted by ratface
I do 104miles a day to and from work (52 each way) using a Passat 1.9TDi 130 Yawn, I hate it, I dream of putting it around a lampost.

The noise is horrible, it drones on and on and on, its about as exciting as a barge

To save your sanity hire a diesel for a few weeks before buying, I wish I had never bought the damb thing. Filling it up is horrid, if there is no plastic gloves at the service station your hands will stink of diesel all day.

Ratty

Interesting, im basing my next car on the fact that my ex-bosses car was a 'modern' diesel Golf turbo - only noticed a little sound on startup and didnt really notice that it wasnt a petrol.

Not intending to change cars this year yet anyway, but will drive a few to ensure they arent as bad as you say - thanks for the warning

Originally posted by zippy
this wasnt a debate, it was a load of ****.
some of you need to grow up and realise (without people drumming it into your head) what benefits each fuel gives you.

stupid bunch of kids!

/me votes 1 star

And some people need to chill out a little, stop calling others names and generaly grow up.

/\/\/\ agreed.

I do 104miles a day to and from work (52 each way) using a Passat 1.9TDi 130 Yawn, I hate it, I dream of putting it around a lampost.

Thats cos of the car tho not the fuel tbh, the passat has to be one of the most uninspiring car i have the misfortune to drive, terrible car, proper old mans motor with no chuckabilty what so ever.

Originally posted by wohoo

Thats cos of the car tho not the fuel tbh, the passat has to be one of the most uninspiring car i have the misfortune to drive, terrible car, proper old mans motor with no chuckabilty what so ever.

Never driven a diesel version but the petrol version (1.8T) rocks!

Engines lovely, but, the handling ugh:rolleyes: way too much body roll, maybe its cos im used to the handling of my lighter pug, but then again i had a new mondeo too which was fantastic, in terms of ride /handling, but didnt have the nice interior like the passat.

Originally posted by flat-6

Point #2:
In real world driving conditions (i.e. not back road hooning), comparing like for like (however you want, displacement, cost yadda yadda) diesels are faster. Nearly all beat their petrol counterparts in in-gear acceleration tests.

But you are comparing a N/A petrol to a turbo diesel? I don't see how that is a fair comparison. If you removed the turbo from the diesel then im sure it would be a different story ;)

I've owned both diesel and petrol cars in the past, admittedly the last diesel i drove was a k reg 106 non TD but it was woefully slow, noisy and dirty.

Saying that though, my neighbours new c class merc is a diesel and it isnt noisy from the inside but outside it is still noticably louder than an equivalent petrol car.

Personally i prefer petrol, and its not because i have money to waste etc, im still a student so don't have money to throw away, but i prefer the way a petrol engine behaves.

Originally posted by JosTiX
Mines 7 years old and no smoke, what you been following? A F reg montego TD or something?
Back to diesels smoking :)

Today on my travels I was following

02 Golf TDI
52 Passat TDI
02 Mercedes C220 CDI

ALL of these cars emitted blue / black smoke from their exhausts when then accelerated

It happens when
They Accelerated hard from stationery or moving or going up hills
Also when dropping down a gear and accelerating - this is even worse – Cough, Cough, Turn off A/C :mad: :mad:

Those that say their cars don’t smoke wouldn’t know because you can't see the the back of your car when you're driving

Last edited:
Originally posted by Beta
But you are comparing a N/A petrol to a turbo diesel? I don't see how that is a fair comparison.

They cost roughly the same. They perform roughly the same. They are found in the same type of car generally. They cost similar amounts to insure.

Turbo Petrol cars are in a different league. Much quicker, but usually much more expensive to insure, to buy, and are generally found in prestige and performance cars. There isnt a Turbo Petrol Mondeo, for example.

Originally posted by Sundance Kid
Those that say their cars don’t smoke wouldn’t know because you can't see the the back of your car when you're driving

I followed mine home when we bought it as I wasnt insured. My dad was giving it some to make sure everything was fine and I was trying my best to keep up in my little 1.3 thing. No smoke was noticed, and I was looking for it :)

Assuming the cars you've mentioned *do* smoke under hard acceleration, but their drivers cannot see it.

Whats the problem?

Originally posted by Liverpool-Lad
My bros new Passat kicked out a huge cloud of smoke when booting it, and he actually managed to get a cyclist to pull over as he was coughing profusely!

A *huge* cloud of smoke?

Get him to take it to the dealer right away. There is clearly a fault with the car. No car should emit a huge cloud of smoke, I doubt it'd reach various standards if it did.

Originally posted by [TW]Fox

Assuming the cars you've mentioned *do* smoke under hard acceleration, but their drivers cannot see it.

Whats the problem?

They *DO* smoke Fox :)

The problem - who wants a car that smokes !!
Not to mention the fumes it filled my cabin with :mad:

Originally posted by Sundance Kid
They *DO* smoke Fox :)

The problem - who wants a car that smokes !!

If they smoke, clearly lots of people, given the huge increase in diesel sales recently. Why is it a problem? The driver cannot see it, it doesnt bother him, it doesnt affect him in any way...

Not to mention the fumes it filled my cabin with :mad:

Don't exagerate to try and add weight to your point.

Back
Top Bottom