• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DirectX 12

Caporegime
I presume the guys who absolutely attacked mercilessly AMD/Mantle for daring to talk about Mantle all the way back in was it November, about 2 mins worth in October and brought it to the first game in Jan/Feb, second game in March....... who complained about lateness, talking about things they "can't deliver", taking ages, massive delays, the ridiculousness of "talking" up an API that isn't available will all be harsher on DX12/MS because they first spoke about DX12 about a month ago and have no plans to get games delivered on it before the end of next year?

I won't complain about MS doing this because it's standard. Industry changes take time, new API's/software/hardware changes take time and I have precisely no problem.

DX12 WILL have faster adoption than any previous DX api purely based on the hardware compatibility situation.

For say DX10 they would be working on the API for 2-3 years before released, but there was only hardware available basically around the time it launched and the install base for DX10 hardware was very small comparatively.

Interesting but as yet I've seen very little about how low level and key features that devs actually want, their own memory management. I suspect they've conceded control of such stuff. but we'll see. Their graphs are interesting if accurate, finally going properly multi threaded and well, it's important to look at the numbers there. It's not always about how much CPU you have, you could only be at 50% cpu load but that one thread taking 75% of the time means the gpu is waiting 5ms extra before getting data. even on a not fully loaded cpu you can still gain ms which is almost certainly why both the minimums with Mantle have been phenomenal and why the games feel smoother, and why console games have often felt smooth despite lower frame rate. Consistency in frame rate is almost as important as the frame rate itself.

They pointed out that it was "lower than ever before" rather than just calling it low level, and considering this is the highest level of DX/openGL(with extensions)/Mantle by quite some distance it doesn't fill me with massive confidence, nor does their 50% reduction in CPU performance. IT's an improvement and I'd never refuse it, but Mantle does seem to offer a significantly higher reduction in cpu ultilisation. It shouldn't be surprising but you get the impression it will be a kind of midway point between DX11/Mantle.

But it's a good step and one MS hasn't taken in years, hasn't been forced to take in years and maybe bodes well for DX13. DX12 gets broad hardware support and gets the industry used to coding at a lower level, then deliver DX13 which is a further step forward, maybe even closer to Mantle but like a more normal DX is limited to newer hardware and so can go much lower without needing such wide support.

Caporegime
Sounds good going by those slides. Though you have to wonder, if Microsoft deliver on the above where does that leave mantle? No developer is going to want to waste time pushing out two close to the metal api's delivering probably the same performance.

Perhaps mantle has served its purpose of giving Microsoft and the gaming industry a swift kick up the bum.

From everything listed, it won't deliver the same level of performance, and frankly if Mantle stopped.... do we really think MS would be inclined to keep innovating with the next DX, or get back in their comfy "do the bare minimum because we have no competition" state.

Mantle sticking around is good for us for that very reason. Ultimately adding Mantle support to major engines ensures it's very little work for actual individual games to support Mantle. Mantle is getting added to the next Cryengine, not Cryengine 3(well it might also), it's effectively in the new Frostbite engine which is why EVERY new Frostbite game is listed as supporting Mantle, not just the odd one here and there.

So Mantle support is embedded in at least a few engines that will deliver likely a hundred + games in the next few years. Now, if they added support to the next set of new engines, who knows that is going to be at least a few years away for Frostbite/Cryengine.

Hopefully Mantle stays around to keep MS honest frankly. Without a real competitor they did nothing, with a competitor suddenly MS gets to working on a 50% reduction in cpu overhead of their API..... that they hadn't bothered doing before.

EDIT:- Going through some slides now as I only woke up a bit ago(all nighter to get assignment in :p ), so a lot of the stuff is doing what Mantle is doing, but it also stated that this is targeting the best dev's, performance when you need it. I wonder if they have some scaling options, like smaller dev doesn't want to write memory management, you can use DX memory management but you get an increase in overhead? Is DX12 only aimed at game dev's that want to use it like Mantle, for pure performance and complete control but it's not aimed at everyone.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Will be interesting to compare DX12 to a then mature Mantle in 1-2 years time. Its win win for AMD folks as we'll have the best of both worlds. Mantle support until DX12 (assuming game support) and full DX12 support whenever its ready.

Caporegime
I do find it funny that MS are trying to make it sound like Xbox One will get an improvement.

"DX12... console like API performance on the PC"....

"DX12 will benefit the Xbox One...... a console... already with a console API".........

Okay. The fairly obvious nature of DX12(as is Mantle) being higher level than an actually to the metal API on a console means it can't give more performance magically, unless of course their X1 API has been exceptionally poorly written, which is possible but not entirely likely.

I did speculate that it could improve things for those who use the higher level DX11 api on the consoles(generally speaking smaller dev's with less money or less performance issues who don't need the extra performance don't really need more control), but DX12 does seem squarely in Mantle's area of targeting bigger devs who want the performance and not everyone.

I'm getting the impression that come the end of next year it will be DX12 for high performance IF you want it, DX11.2 for everything else. It seems closer to adding a new API(but under the same naming scheme) rather than fixing DX11 and making their higher level API much more streamlined which is certainly possible

Caporegime
Seems like it, to a certain degree the actual way the shaders work isn't particularly important, it's more about control of the data and doing things in the order that makes the best sense and not having all these random unpredictable things DX does. I fully expect Mantle can be made to support older chips and other architectures if they want to. But look at where DX is, it's been on the go for around a year and they don't expect games till the end of next year. But DX is estabilished and if they make something better they know people will adopt it.

Mantle is new, they wanted and needed to get proof of concept out there sooner. If Mantle wasn't ready for another couple years it could launch with more support, that's pretty much how software works, time = can do more things.

I wouldn't be even slightly surprised to see MS putting a bigger team into it risk/reward, MS knows their next DX would have wide adoption, AMD didn't know Mantle would work. LIkewise MS has to support AMD/Intel/Nvidia so simply have to put the time, personnel and money into making that happen, while AMD didn't and that would further increase the costs of a unknown outcome project.

Associate
With the like of Cryengine supporting Mantle this looks pretty good. Although I'm surprised with Mantle not having a public SDK.

Obviously Crytek have been given access to the SDK and the use of Mantle will be one of the several code paths for rendering at a low level.

I doubt any Mantle calls will be usable using Cryengine API because that would have to expose the Mantle API, which isn't public.:(

Soldato
OP
With the like of Cryengine supporting Mantle this looks pretty good. Although I'm surprised with Mantle not having a public SDK.

Obviously Crytek have been given access to the SDK and the use of Mantle will be one of the several code paths for rendering at a low level.

I doubt any Mantle calls will be usable using Cryengine API because that would have to expose the Mantle API, which isn't public.:(

Mantle will be made public end of the year.

Soldato
If Mantle succeeds, Nvidia wont adopt. They will develop their own "close to the metal" API.

Nvidia don't need to develop an API tbh, they will just use DirectX 12 and in the interim of DX12's release will give developer support with Gameworks to make Nvidia flavored titles run nice and have extra features on Nvidia hardware.

Soldato
phpothkqcp1010617.jpg

It looks like not only existing Nvidia users will be able to use DX12,so will existing AMD users too.

Hmm,maybe my GTX660 will last a bit longer when I replace it at some point even in a secondary box. Looks like a win,win so far.

I do wonder however,if full DX12 functionality would need newer hardware. Is the backward functionality for older AMD and Nvidia cards,for certain sets of features only??

Last edited:
Permabanned
phpstssfzp1010646.jpg

2015, not sure what/when those holidays are.

Preview this year so in next 8months.

But early access even before then so less than 8months.

Associate
Nvidia don't need to develop an API tbh, they will just use DirectX 12 and in the interim of DX12's release will give developer support with Gameworks to make Nvidia flavored titles run nice and have extra features on Nvidia hardware.
Like I said earlier, I'm wondering if general DX 12 API favors Nvidia hardware over AMD?

Permabanned
@ CAT-THE-FIFTH, its been said already Nvidia fully support it from most of the 400 series and that Forza was ran on Nvidia.

NVidia actually, does all DX11.2 but was too late to get certed so they can only claim hardware level and feature level bla, bla as you have seen posted here many times.

AMD, so far from reading (was sleeping since 6pm) same cards support same as mantle but I am not 100% sure till I go back once I waken fully and read a lot of stuff.

Associate
Look above at the AMD slide. They seem happy and i doubt that would be the case if dx favored Nvidia.
The slides are just a marketing thing, no figures.

And just to be clear, when I guess (I don't know) that DX 12 may favor Nvidia hardware, it could be for logical/technical reasons, rather than MS favoring a particular manufacturer.

Hardware manufacturers have tried in the past with their own rendering APIs, but have failed.

All the best to Mantle, but I just can't see it succeeding.

Soldato
I've not been following this but have briefly read through the last few posts.
Am I right in thinking that the speculation is no longer that DirectX 12 is or contains Mantle? If this is the case and DirectX has been in development for some time with help from both Nvidia and AMD could this be why Nvidia haven't made too much fuss about Mantle one way or the other as they knew about this but couldn't say?
Also, if it's been in development for years then we don't "get to"/"have to" credit AMD with prompting the improvement?

Also seems like it will work with existing hardware, which is nice (same as Mantle) but still no word on if we'll need a new version of Windows (which I'd be ok with as I'm still on Win7)?

Assuming it can deliver what it says it will then it seems like it could be really good. I don't think it means that there's no place for Mantle though. Both offer something to developers that the other doesn't.

Mantle isn't tied to Windows, which DirectX 12 probably will be. This means OSX and Linux could see benefits too. With SteamOS I think this could be a growing area for gaming. As some have said though early adopting of Mantle seems to be by EA related companies, which probably don't get to release via Steam or SteamOS and Origin is Windows only. In time though when more developers get hold of Mantle this could well change. Will need a Linux/OSX driver that supports Mantle though and for devs to support Linux/OSX (just because they could do a linux port doesn't mean they will!).
I imagine Mantle will probably perform slightly better as it's probably less generic, this may allow it to do some things DX12 can't. Plus AMD are free to update it as they wish.

DirectX has the advantage it's not limited to just AMD hardware. Not that it seems like Mantle will exclude non-AMD hardware, but why would Nvidia/Intel now make any effort to support it? While it's possible that developers will decide to support an AMD only API it seems much more likely that DX12 will be supported by most, possibly with Mantle there as an option for those that want it. It would seem like the obvious option is for DirectX to become the "standard" due to the range of hardware it supports.

I do hope that developers will support both APIs and not ignore Mantle because DX12 is nearly as good and covers more hardware. At the same time I hope that some of the early Mantle adopters aren't locked into Mantle and refuse (or are contractually unable) to support DirectX12 instead sticking with DX11 as their catch all API. And hopefully the developers (e.g. DICE) that had involvement with creating Mantle don't refuse to use DX12 out of spite.

I think the competition will be good for both of them, it should keep them both (especially MS) on their toes. Will hopefully also stop AMD slipping into a practice of not pushing their hardware limits as they think they can make up the difference with an API and save costs.

Interesting to see how this plays out (long term as well as short term with breaking news)...

Associate
NVidia actually, does all DX11.2 but was too late to get certed so they can only claim hardware level and feature level bla, bla as you have seen posted here many times.
I think DX will always be "feature level" based on hardware capability.
MS made a big mistake trying to enforce a general hardware level for DX 10

DX 11+ will use "feature levels"

Programmers will have to use different code path in DX 11+ depending on hardware capabilities, but it's nowhere near as extreme as the DX 9/ DX 10 all or nothing.

Last edited:
Soldato
The slides are just a marketing thing, no figures.

And just to be clear, when I guess (I don't know) that DX 12 may favor Nvidia hardware, it could be for logical/technical reasons, rather than MS favoring a particular manufacturer.

Hardware manufacturers have tried in the past with their own rendering APIs, but have failed.

All the best to Mantle, but I just can't see it succeeding.

I just don't get what makes you think dx12 will favor Nvidia. No version of dx has ever favored Nvidia or Amd apart from dx10.1 which favored amd due to Nvidia not having support. It's up to Nvidia and Amd to build the hardware and usually whoever builds the fastest hardware has the fastest card over most games. As the new dx is designed for Xboxone as well would it not make more sense that dx12 will suit AMD Gcn architecture better.

I think it will work just as well on each brand as it always has.

Back
Top Bottom