• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Discussion On The ATI Radeon 5*** Series Before They Have Been Released Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
both AMD 5xxx and Nvidia GF3xxx will get DX11 but it will make few games with DX11 and then later 2010 it may get more DX11 games to come up

To be honest I would expect a fair amount of games to be made with DX11 over the next 6-9 months.

The reason we haven't seen DX10 games a lot is due to the stigma of Vista. Win 7 is extremely popular and so should DX11 too. We'll have the hardware pretty much on release and games to follow soon.

I think DX11 is a break in developing that people have been anticipating to be honest. It simplifies a lot of stuff over DX9 for example as well as having very nice performance features.

Associate
hmm i want a new graphics card but i'd like to see what nvidia have in store first. (when i got my 280 i should have waited for the 4870x2 a month later) im a bit put off by ati cards not being able to use a nvidia card as a physx accelator as i'd rather keep my 280 to use for physx

Permabanned
maybe true but if some games use it i might as well keep my 280 for it!

Bearing in mind that they've disabled physx use on the latest drivers. There's nothing stopping you from installing older drivers.

Chances are some one is going to figure out a hack to get around this stupid move by nVidia anyway.

Although as gurusan said, PhysX is a sack of fail. nVidia are too controlling with it we need to have an open standard that isn't controlled directly by the people making the hardware.

As Direct X is, a specification made for hardware vendors to follow. A hardware accelerated physics API should be the same.

Associate
hmm i want a new graphics card but i'd like to see what nvidia have in store first. (when i got my 280 i should have waited for the 4870x2 a month later) im a bit put off by ati cards not being able to use a nvidia card as a physx accelator as i'd rather keep my 280 to use for physx

Better off selling you 280 for £150-170ish, spending £50 on an 8800 for physX (if you really want it) then using the rest of the cash for whatever tickles your fancy.

Associate
Not even worth spending £50 on an 8800 for PhysX, its gona be gone soon as no ones interested, PhysX is a gimmick.

Agree totally. PhysX is marginally impressive in tech demos, but when it coes to game implementation it doesn't show anything which couldn't be done without it.

I played Mirror's edge on relase with physX enabled, then replayed it a few weeks ago, I didn't even realise that I hadn't turned it on this time until a friend mentioned it. It adds nothing.

But back on topic: Yay new cards!

Associate
AMD /ATI trying to get bak in market, and in ATI sector thy hav done very well , nt being a fanboy but fact is a fact , cant wait for thez to come out, hope thy perform well as expected from it

Associate
but talking about keeping an nvidea card for physx. isnt it true that they are implementing physics in with DX11 using openCL on both ati cards an nvidea? so you wouldnt need to base ur purchase on whether they have physics or not

Soldato
AMD has informed their partners that their upcoming DX11 Cypress cards will be known as Radeon HD 5800 series. Cypress XT is Radeon HD 5870 while Cypress PRO is Radeon HD 5850. The key features of these DX11 cards are :

• 1GB GDDR5 memory
• ATI Eyefinity technology with support for up to three displays
• ATI Stream technology,
• Designed for DirectCompute 5.0 and OpenCL
• Accelerated Video Transcoding (AVT)
• Compliant with DirectX® 11 and earlier revisions
• Supports OpenGL 3.1
• ATI CrossFireX™ multi-GPU support for highly scalable performance6
• ATI Avivo™ HD video and display technology
• Dynamic power management with ATI PowerPlay™ technology
• DL-DVI, DL-DVI, DisplayPort, HDMI
• PCI Express® 2.0 support

http://vr-zone.com/articles/-rumour-amd-dx11-cypress-is-radeon-hd-5870--hd-5850/7469.html?doc=7469

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom