• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Discussion On The ATI Radeon 5*** Series Before They Have Been Released Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh god, they still using those crap loud coolers by the looks of it, thought they would have at least changed those buggers, oh well, looks like a wait for the more expensive custom cooled cards then as per usual :(

Thats a 5850 above, i hope its just the way that pic has been taken that makes it look about 30ft long, otherwise the 5870's not gona fit many cases, as it will be longer than that :eek:

Ahh hang on, that'll be the OEM jobbie more than likely, as i remember that other OEM card pic doing the rounds before that looked massive as well, and when the retails came out, they were much shorter. :p

Last edited:
Oh god, still using those crap loud coolers by the looks of it, thought they would have at least changed those buggers for these, oh well, looks like a wait for the more expensive custom cooled cards then as per usual :(

Agreed, can't believe they haven't learned their lesson yet...

They should at least offer two versions of the cards from launch, at different price points. A lot of people demand a decent cooler and don't want a jet engine roaring away in their PC.

Sapphire and Power Color both produced excellent coolers for the 4890, why can't AMD manage this themselves?

Oh god, still using those crap loud coolers by the looks of it, thought they would have at least changed those buggers for these, oh well, looks like a wait for the more expensive custom cooled cards then as per usual :(

I think the reason for that cooler is purely to keep there partners happy so they can sell the more expensive custom cooled cards. I am no big fan of noise but as long as a card performs and is cheap i don't care to much about the noise. I can't hear people shouting at me with my headset on in an fps never mind a hoover fan.

Im thinking of buying a few new components for my next build. Which consists of the following,

Intel i7 920
Asus X58 mobo (not sure which)
Corsair memory (not sure which)

I assume the above will be compatible with a 5 series ATI card? Im thinking of buying all the components apart from the GPU and waiting for the ATI 5 series? What sort of power supply would you recommend?

Cheers

Yes, that build will work just fine with any recent GPU, and no reason to assume otherwise with the new cards. It should make for a good system.

As for PSUs, if I were buying now for the system you propose, I'd probably go for the Corsair TX650. Good solid power supply, nice and quiet, stable rails at a good efficiency, and should give you enough headroom to add a second card if you like (assuming that the power draw on this generation is at least similar to the last).

Does anyone know for certain when these cards are going to be on the shelves? I know a man on the inside but he's been incredibly tight lipped this time round, hopefully he will spill some beans in a day or two. He normally sells me his hand me downs very close to the release date but the only email he's sent me lately says to contact him late September at the earliest... :eek:

• ATI Eyefinity technology with support for up to three displays

Does this mean we will be able to game on three displayes without the t2go?

I hope the 5870x2 will maxout all games at 2560 1600!

I read on another well known forum nvidia are working on a gx2 version of the 300gtx!

Whos gonna win the 300gx2 or the 5870x2. I have a feeling the ati ones may be cheaper.

I think the reason for that cooler is purely to keep there partners happy so they can sell the more expensive custom cooled cards. I am no big fan of noise but as long as a card performs and is cheap i don't care to much about the noise. I can't hear people shouting at me with my headset on in an fps never mind a hoover fan.

I am actually using the 4890 stock cooler now and it's not bad at all, until I fire up a game then it makes some noise. But tbh not much more than my old GTX 280 did. I seem to remember my 4870 stock cooler being MUCH, MUCH louder?

It is a disappointment that they haven't changed the cooling system though :(

Last edited:
Link

Translation
According to a fresh report by Donanim Haber, AMD's next performance graphics accelerator, the Radeon HD 5870, codenamed "Cypress" is expected to be aggressively priced, at US $299. At that price, it intends to be highly competitive against GeForce GTX 285 from NVIDIA. The secret-sauce behind the price could be the 40 nm fab process on which the GPU is being built, which allows upping transistor counts while maintaining significantly smaller die-sizes compared to 55 nm.

There is a great deal of uncertainty surrounding the specifications of the GPU, including what level of performance with existing application could it end up offering. Some sources, such as ChipHell, which are one of the first to leak pictures of components related to various Evergreen family products claim the Cypress GPU to have an almost 100% increase in stream processor counts compared to RV770, while others remain conservative expecting it to be around 50%. With this kind of a pricing, Cypress could trigger market-wide changes in GPU pricing, if it ends up with a good price/performance ratio at $299.

Cypress is expected to be launched on 22 September, close to two weeks after the company unveils the Evergreen family of DirectX 11 compliant GPUs on September 10. Market availability is expected in October. In related news from the same report, the enthusiast-grade accelerator that uses two of these GPUs, codenamed "Hemlock", is expected to be out in November.
One other new information and also code-named the Hemlock known as the R800 graphics processor with dual new "X2" models. Radeon HD 5870 model expected to have power double RV870. Hemlock or potential naming with the Radeon HD 5870 is said to be launched in November

Last edited:
$299 is around £182 here i think, but i can't see them being that low, so id say maybe £260, or anywhere inbetween that and £300, doubt they'll be much more going by how the 4800 series were priced.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom