• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Discussion On The ATI Radeon 5*** Series Before They Have Been Released Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
So in terms of price on release HD4850=$199 and HD4870=$299. Will the Evergreen cards be prices as aggressively? Or will AMD take advantage of the fact they will be first to market.

Considering that the HD4890 is currently selling for sub $200, it will depend on how much of a performance improvement.

Last edited:
Associate
So in terms of price on release HD4850=$199 and HD4870=$299. Will the Evergreen cards be prices as aggressively? Or will AMD take advantage of the fact they will be first to market.

Considering that the HD4890 is currently selling for sub $200, it will depend on how much of a performance improvement.

Probably not, as Nvidia will not have a suitable competing product. :mad:

Soldato
i wonder if it supporting three monitors will mean it can game accros them all, or if it will be the same as dual monitors at the moment where most games dont work with it.

Permabanned
Probably not, as Nvidia will not have a suitable competing product. :mad:

I suspect ATi is a lot wiser than nVidia in this respect.

They know they'll ultimately make more money selling these cheaper but selling far far more.

Even if it's about greed, selling it lower but selling in far higher volumes would be the most logical step anyway.

I expect the 5850 to be $199 and the 5870 to be $299

Associate
I expect the 5850 to be $199 and the 5870 to be $299

I'd expect this to be reasonable. The 48xx series isn't going away anytime soon I don't think, and with the current $=£ ratio market at present having a new £200 and £300 pair of cards doesnt seem unreasonable when theres no DirectX11 competiotion from Nvidia.....

Price gouging Nvidia style :)

Soldato
Old renders I think, but for your pleasure I'll post them anyway.

171506.jpg

atitopicrv870.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Im thinking of buying a few new components for my next build. Which consists of the following,

Intel i7 920
Asus X58 mobo (not sure which)
Corsair memory (not sure which)

I assume the above will be compatible with a 5 series ATI card? Im thinking of buying all the components apart from the GPU and waiting for the ATI 5 series? What sort of power supply would you recommend?

Cheers

Associate
Yuor components should be fine with teh 5xxx series and as for power supply no real info on the power workings of the new cards but i would say any decent 600 or 700w psu will be more then enough but only a guess.

Associate
Yuor components should be fine with teh 5xxx series and as for power supply no real info on the power workings of the new cards but i would say any decent 600 or 700w psu will be more then enough but only a guess.

Thank you. Im thinking of building a few of these machines and just wanted to clear that up. :)

Soldato
I don't think they'd announce a launch if the problems were that big.

Well, just posting this has caused at least 5 people to cancel orders for graphics cards. No-one is going to be buying anything between now and September 10th and NVidia's sales are almost bound to plummet. That's why they made the announcement. They're building demand. Look out for the pre-orders from 1st September forward for those that just have to have it NOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom