• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Discussion On The ATI Radeon 5*** Series Before They Have Been Released Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
$299 is around £182 here i think, but i can't see them being that low, so id say maybe £260, or anywhere inbetween that and £300, doubt they'll be much more going by how the 4800 series were priced.

The 4800s were US price + VAT. so While they will most probably will be price gouged, especially by OcUK, they aren't going to be silly money everywhere.

Due to the current exchange rate, $299 + VAT = about £210

I don't get where the additional £50-90 is coming from? Other places that I buy from who don't price gouge will have them at their correct price.

This was the case with the 3800s and the 4800s. I can't see it being any different for the 5800s.

Permabanned
if they are competing on price with the 5870 vs the 285 i hope that still means it is going to be a powerful card.

It doesn't actually mean on price alone. It basically means that it's acard they have that's closest in price to it. The same way the 4800s were priced to compete with the G92 based cards even though they're faster.

Associate
Seems promising. There are many games coming out before the end of the year that while not using DX11, some seem like very demanding games. I think l shall hold on to my 4890 until the next refresh of the cards to give developers some time to get some nice DX11 games rolling first before getting a new card.

From what l rememember this is probably the last time ATI tweaks the architecture and the next refresh will probably be a new architecture by ATI which sounds more promising.

Soldato
cp09.JPG

1600 SP's?

Possible fake?

I have a feeling that's 2x800 for the x2. 1600 stream processors would be awesome but I doubt its real.

Soldato
I have a feeling that's 2x800 for the x2. 1600 stream processors would be awesome but I doubt its real.

Well, for the same die size going from 55nm to 40nm you can have about 90% more transistors. 1600 SP's seems like a reasonable estimation, given ATi were able to up the transistor count from RV670 to RV770 from 320 to 800, and increase the amount of texturing units by the same quantity with less than 50% more transistors.

Last edited:
Associate
5870 highly competitive with the gtx 285? i would have thpought they'd be aiming for much higher performance. not much use upgrading i feel unless it is significantly faster than the 285. then again if they bring out the 5870 x2 version it will be almost as fast as the 295 mars edition for less than half the price and with dx11. then i'd upgrade!

Soldato
5870 highly competitive with the gtx 285? i would have thpought they'd be aiming for much higher performance. not much use upgrading i feel unless it is significantly faster than the 285. then again if they bring out the 5870 x2 version it will be almost as fast as the 295 mars edition for less than half the price and with dx11. then i'd upgrade!

Similarly the 4870 was the 'competition' for the 9800 GTX when it was first released and we all know how that went. Remember, competition in the graphics sector means how much something costs, not how fast it is.

Soldato

This is not a performance comparison. I'm sure the new ATI card will walk all over a 285, but it looks like ATI are planning this card to come in at the same cost as the 285.

It makes scene as the 285 is ridiculously overpriced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom