• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Discussion On The ATI Radeon 5*** Series Before They Have Been Released Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
Thats what I've thought, £249 for a stock clocked saphire 5870 me thinks, higher binned, XFX overclocked cards priced above as normal.

PLEASE refrain from making things up. It's getting really tiresome.

A 4850 will be $199 + VAT a 5870 will be $299 + VAT.

That's £140 for the 4850 and £210 for the 5870. Aside from Overclocker's inevitable price gouging, these are the prices they're going to be.

Until we hear otherwise any other numbers are pure fantasy, or as known as making things up.

Soldato
if they are 210 thats actually a good price, i was used to paying over £300 for top nvidia cards. So if ATi can get the performance i would be sold on a 5870, hope they are a lot better than all the single cards nv have out at the moment.

Associate
I think some of the £250 prices being mentioned Kylew are people taking gouging into account and speculating on the release day gouged price not what the usual price most will buy them at will be which will be more in line with your figures :).

Associate
£250 on release day settleing ~£220 Sounds reasonable.

Im not certain i want the nvidia cards out this year on 1 hand i want ATI to gobble up some market share they deserve it after the forceing nvidia to sharply cut prices to compete with then 4800's and other nvidia antics.

On the other hand i want them out so the prices drop and utimately because it may, doubt it but may be another 8800. I mean a hige jump not a rebrand.

Permabanned
I think some of the £250 prices being mentioned Kylew are people taking gouging into account and speculating on the release day gouged price not what the usual price most will buy them at will be which will be more in line with your figures :).

Of course, it's just that not every store does price gouge. I buy from some places that don't, and I reckon they're the places that will have them at the $299 + VAT price providing that overclockers don't get the whole UK release allocation of 5800s, I'm pretty sure this has happened a few times with certain products. :o

Soldato
Man the news just keeps getting craper and craper.

i got rid of both my 4890s thinking on the 15th i would be able to purchase 2x 5870s.
but from what im reading it looks like only 5850s will be out, whats with that.

Permabanned
Man the news just keeps getting craper and craper.

i got rid of both my 4890s thinking on the 15th i would be able to purchase 2x 5870s.
but from what im reading it looks like only 5850s will be out, whats with that.

Still though, it's not like the 5850s are going to be slow.

Soldato
Still though, it's not like the 5850s are going to be slow.

it just depends though, if they have no features cut and they are identical to the 5870s apart from core clocked down and memory then i might consider them as they should overclock past 5870 speeds

just depends but im not looking forward to this launch, not becuse of the fact that the cards will be released its the fact that the cards that will be released might be really low end.

Associate
Thats the thing right now we don't know squat we don't know what is happening on the 10th everything right now is pure speculation so best to wait and see rahter then have any expectations and end up possibly disappointed.

Associate
im just hoping for price to performance im ahppy to pay just over 200-220 for a 5870 but again it does depends if it kicks the hiney of the 280gtx or other high end nvidia cards. if ati bugger this up then im not happy :D, hope for some before sale benchmarks as well.

Permabanned
i wouldnt be surprised if even the 5850 is faster than the 285

Seriously. WHY wouldn't it be? :confused:

I don't understand the lack of common sense some people here display.

There are indications that the 5800s are going to be about 2x the speed of the 4800s.

You know, kinda the way it's been every gen?

9800>X800>x1800>2900/3870>4800s

Each step there was roughly a doubling of performance. Same goes for nVidia's parts too.

FX 5800>6800>7800>8800/G92 8800s and 9800s>GTX200 series

All this talk of 'I wouldn't be surprised if *insert stupid comment*' is nonsense, seriously, at least REMEMBER the vast amount of cards that precede these new up coming cards.

I may be being a bit harsh on people, but it's tiresome reading stupid comments from posters who appear to not have read the thread.

I repeat, it makes no sense for them to not roughly double performance this gen. It happens every gen, there's no reason we should see anything less.

ATi are even talking about us being 'pleasantly surprised'.

REFRAIN from making things up, seriously.

Associate
i wasnt making things up. i was guessing :S and we will see when the benchmarks arrive! no need to go mental about it. and it all depends on whether its 1200 shaders or 1600 shaders. 1200 could mean its on par with the 285 (+5% maby) i certainly know the 5870 will be a lot faster than the 285 even with 1200 shaders...

Permabanned
i wasnt making things up. i was guessing :S and we will see when the benchmarks arrive! no need to go mental about it. and it all depends on whether its 1200 shaders or 1600 shaders. 1200 could mean its on par with the 285 (+5% maby) i certainly know the 5870 will be a lot faster than the 285 even with 1200 shaders...

Guessing is making stuff up. Why would it be on par with a GTX285? :confused:

I'm not going mental, but as I said it's tiresome repeating things to people who look like they're not reading the thread. Last time I looked a GTX285 wasn't 50% faster than a 4870, so even if there was 'only' a 50% increase in shaders and ROPs and TMUs it's not going to be only on par with a GTX285.

If all it takes for an RV770 based chip to be up to the level of a GTX285 is a simple respin and increase in clock speed, then why would you think an addition of 50% more shaders ROPs and TMUs as well as being die shrunk would yield a 10-15% increase in performance over a 4890? They're obviously going to ramp up the clock speeds as well as stuffing in a load more transistors.

The reason I'm complaining so much is because you're making comments that show you obviously haven't thought about what you're saying.

As I say to the people who speculate on price, until we hear otherwise, it'll be the same as the last gen.

Assume the same for performance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom