• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Discussion On The ATI Radeon 5*** Series Before They Have Been Released Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Interesting for sure. I bet Nvidia have something lurking in their pockets however. Still very happy with my GTX 275, is a lovely card, so won't be upgrading for a bit. Always been a fan of Nvidia of ATI, so will be interesting to see how Nvidia answers this.

Sorry to hijack with this, but I thought it was interesting as a comparison: http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...00-specifications-revealed---its-a-cgpu!.aspx

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't see any benefit of them doing a 'paper launch' or even announcing these cards before they're ready to supply them, even in limited quantity...

There isn't any benefit to the consumer but as far as getting one up on Nvidia is concerned then it works wonders.:)

I've got a feeling this is going to be a paper launch but I guess we'll find out more nearer the time.

Associate
For it to be anything other then a paper launch tsmc would have had to have sorted the problems out fully and be producing at a fair rate by now surely and if that was happening i am sure someone would have let slip but hope lives eternal :).

Soldato
Prices I agree with, but I'm planning to go triple monitor for iRacing in september, so need a bit of an upgrade to handle 5760x1200 with decent details/AA :p

Biggest u can do on TripleHead is 5040x1050 but good news is ATI's drivers now allow this as well as nvidias. Assuming ur using 3x24" these will have to be run at the lower res.

Soldato
There isn't any benefit to the consumer but as far as getting one up on Nvidia is concerned then it works wonders.:)

I've got a feeling this is going to be a paper launch but I guess we'll find out more nearer the time.

But from all the rumours nvidia aren't any closer to getting a card out? maybe ATi knows something we don't about that though which would explain it, but as an outsider looking at the rumours ATi don't have anything to worry about in terms of getting to market first...

Biggest u can do on TripleHead is 5040x1050 but good news is ATI's drivers now allow this as well as nvidias. Assuming ur using 3x24" these will have to be run at the lower res.

That's using the hardware TripleHead2GO unit from Matrox, however using SoftTH allows both differing resolutions on the monitors as well as allowing the full 1920x1200.

Got 3x 26" screens (well, got 2, third will be ordered on pay day), the benefit of SoftTH means that if needed with my 1Gb 4870 I can run the side monitors on a lower res to boost FPS, obviously won't look great but as that's peripheral vision stuff I might be able to cope till I can order a nice 5xxx series...

Soldato
Never liked ATI much always used to give me crashes and what not so I stuck with Nvidia :p i'm sure a few months after this Nvidia's new card will blow it away

Shoo fan boy, you're not welcome.

Can't wait till we get some benchmarks of these, also a list of what they are releasing, hopefully the 5870x2 won't be too long away or the 5870 isn't too pricey as I want 1 or 2 of them respectively.

One thing I would like however is a nicer looking reference design, I've never really liked the look of it particularly.

Man of Honour
From what i've read before the 5870 will = a 4870x2.. so then it's probably not going to be really close to the 295 is it?

Huh, the 4870X2 and 295 are very close. Depends on the game.

Never liked ATI much always used to give me crashes and what not so I stuck with Nvidia :p i'm sure a few months after this Nvidia's new card will blow it away

No personal attacks. Next time, you will be suspended.

Can we just stop all this fanboy rubbish and carry on with a normal discussion. People report problems from both sides. I myself have had problems with both Nvidia and ATI. I just go with whichever offers best performance to price.

Last edited:

AMG

AMG

Soldato
I ll see what happens, when decent games come out for them than I ll have a look, I really wanna try Nvidia this time, although they have annoyed me recently :mad: but great products non the less

Caporegime
Hope the new cards are a substantial notch above the current 4000 series though I doubt they will be, except for the top end card. Highly doubt I'll be upgrading, my 4870X2 handles almost all games very very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom