• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DLSS Momentum Continues: 50 Released and Upcoming DLSS 3 Games, Over 250 DLSS Games and Creative Apps Available Now

So we had fake pixels, then fake frames and now fake light rays - none of these came from game engine but were instead added by AI algorithms. You can say it's better but it's as true as AI generated images - they are what AI thinks they should be and not what would really be there if it was actually calculated properly. But then again, current GPUs are still way way too slow for true calculations and such shortcuts are necessary for real time graphics in games.

Nah it's my bad I worded it incorrectly, after doing more reading on how it works I realised it's not adding new detail into the images

Dlss 3.5 isn't adding detail that didn't exist, it's not adding detail the game engine didn't render. When you do ray tracing, some pixel detail is lost due to the denoiser - ray tracing naturally creates images that have a super thick layer of film grain (applies to games, movies etc) and no one likes that much film grain so they run an aggressive denoiser process to remove the film grain, but a side effect is that it also removes some details. Dlss 3.5 attempts to mitigate that with this so less detail is lost, but it's not adding new detail into the game, the game is just losing less detail in the denoising process after the game engine rendered those details with Ray Tracing. So AMD should be able to do the same thing with FSR if they want to

Last edited:

The game run like crap, but saying around 50% of PC gamers can't run that going by Steam, still leaves about 65mil users or so (for around 132mil. active users). Some numbers I've saw puts PS5 around 40mil units sold and xbox around 21 mil units. So the numbers of "decent" PCs should be around the same as "next gen" consoles combined.
One more thing, is running worse than a game doing Path Tracing. Enough said! :p

Leaving that aside, new DLSS looks sweet. Hopefully 3.5 it will be something like FG or DLAA, able to run on top of native image as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
Nah it's my bad I worded it incorrectly, after doing more reading on how it works I realised it's not adding new detail into the images

Dlss 3.5 isn't adding detail that didn't exist, it's not adding detail the game engine didn't render. When you do ray tracing, some pixel detail is lost due to the denoiser - ray tracing naturally creates images that have a super thick layer of film grain (applies to games, movies etc) and no one likes that much film grain so they run an aggressive denoiser process to remove the film grain, but a side effect is that it also removes some details. Dlss 3.5 attempts to mitigate that with this so less detail is lost, but it's not adding new detail into the game, the game is just losing less detail in the denoising process after the game engine rendered those details with Ray Tracing. So AMD should be able to do the same thing with FSR if they want to
There's hope that it will looks good and not actually hallucinate some rubbish like DLSS did on some textures at the beginning. However, what's lost is lost, which is why they trained this AI on many more images they trained it for DLSS 2 - so it can indeed restore missing details. If denoising destroys the information, it's gone.

The game run like crap, but saying around 50% of PC gamers can't run that going by Steam, still leaves about 65mil users or so (for around 132mil. active users). Some numbers I've saw puts PS5 around 40mil units sold and xbox around 21 mil units. So the numbers of "decent" PCs should be around the same as "next gen" consoles combined.
One more thing, is running worse than a game doing Path Tracing. Enough said! :p

Leaving that aside, new DLSS looks sweet. Hopefully 3.5 it will be something like FG or DLAA, able to run on top of native image as well.
There's nothing in it that would stop it running on native image, I believe, to add more details to the RT of lower resolution (not everything is lost to denoising, sometimes reflections etc. are just rendered in half resolution etc.).

There's hope that it will looks good and not actually hallucinate some rubbish like DLSS did on some textures at the beginning. However, what's lost is lost, which is why they trained this AI on many more images they trained it for DLSS 2 - so it can indeed restore missing details. If denoising destroys the information, it's gone.

It should be a better denoiser, basically. The same "missing" details in his example I've noticed in CB77 as well. One last "annoying" detail is the accumulation of frames over multiple frames which can result in some "lag" in rendering some shadows and reflections. If they can fix that too... super nice.

As with a lot of things in the current game development landscape, things could do with some optimising, but it's easier to studios to push out rushed games and use upscaling, etc. to make it playable. I'm sure RT in general could be optimised.
Considering what was considered possible just few years ago in hardware (in short words - no RT at all in real time for 50+ years to come), we already have RT highly optimised that it's even possible what we see nowadays. Of course, case by case basis devs can optimise some of their own rubbish, but not the core idea about how RT works currently. That's been done by proper scientists (in big part working for NVIDIA) and not mere devs. Not everyone is J. Carmack, to figure out completely new algorithms basing it on old math books. ;)

Last edited:

The counterpoint to this is, then why don't PC game sales reach console numbers?

If they did they would put in more effort no?

Uncharted 3 when that released on the PS3 outsold tombraider which was on PC and Xbox at the time only.

It should be a better denoiser, basically. The same "missing" details in his example I've noticed in CB77 as well. One last "annoying" detail is the accumulation of frames over multiple frames which can result in some "lag" in rendering some shadows and reflections. If they can fix that too... super nice.
Right, I get what you mean now, to fully replace standard denoising algorithms with fancy AI based ones, which also preserves details - in that way, yes, makes sense for it to work better. They also mentioned ghosting etc. should be solved by this (not everywhere I am sure, just in specific cases this applies to).

Last edited:

It looks like it may fix that too, in the cyberpunk video that mention that dlss 3.5 also resulted in less of that unstable looking lag/ghosting you mention when the screen is moving fast

I've also noticed in some games like dying light 2 with Ray tracing on if I rotate the screen the small foliage leafs start showing lots of noise/grain, so hoping this fixes that too

Last edited:
It's interesting timing from Nvidia from Nvidia

I wouldn't be surprised if they were going to keep this feature for DLSS 4 to launch with RTX5000, but then decided to launch it early because AMD is about to launch FSR3, Nvidia is petty like that and want you thinking about their tech rather than AMD, it's all about that mindshare

RT boner engaged!

sir-patrick-stewart-patrick-stewart.gif

Back
Top Bottom