• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DLSS Momentum Continues: 50 Released and Upcoming DLSS 3 Games, Over 250 DLSS Games and Creative Apps Available Now

If it mattered enough, all pro FPS gamers would be using CRT's but they are not
Where would they be buying them from? You're missing my point. I never claimed that pro gamers should be using CRT. My point is, 60fps is acceptable and very playable on CRT. For the same you are looking 100+ on a flat screen = cost more for the GPU to drive it. 120fps is the new 60fps when crt compared to flatscreen. + as little as you may value it, the motion clarity at 160hz+ on crt is unsurpassed. By the way I prefer my oled screens overall over a CRT due to many other factors, i just added my comment around motion clarity, as it was in a similar vein to the article showing the drawback of current display tech compared to the past ie scaling that i don't often hear any more.

Only if the CRT is still of sufficient age. All CRTs today are now old and over-used. The CR tubes inside a CRT lose their performance as time goes on which results in output quality not being consistent over the years due to the way a CRT works. Fire up an 80s or 90s TV or CRT monitor today and you will see all the tells of a screen that is fatigued, focus issues, colour issues, contrast issues...

If it's had very little use then sure it will be good still, but a modern OLED will walk over it in all areas other than motion smoothness. I don't include scaling in that because many OLED screens now have excellent scalers and CRTs are inherently blurry, since modern games are developed for flat panels, they will just not look sharp enough on a CRT so the technology really is antiqued by the nature of what it is so really this whole debate is pointless because a CRT has no place in modern gaming as the engines are not designed for them.

An LCD panel such as IPS does not have this issue as long as it's using an LED backlight instead of early LCDs that had CCFL backlights. OLED panels don't have this issue either though it can be argued individual OLED pixels can degrade, but that has yet to manifest as loss of colour accuracy over time, just screen burn. OLED is just better at colour reproduction, which is why today in 2024 we have factory calibrated OLEDs that are near enough industry grade colour accurate for D65 SRGB use out of the box. This hasn't been the case before with displays, I worked in a photo studio editing for the lab where we only used the latest Eizo CRTs and they needed to be calibration checked and adjusted every month because of the volume of use they had at least 5 days a week for at leats 7 hours each day.

Fact of the matter is that tubes age, and back when CRTs were mainstream, they were used a lot.

OLED is the immediate future and we are seeing the benefits right now, there are a few things that will be ironed out as the generations evolve like VRR flicker and burn-in, but other than that we are now seeing 480Hz panels with 1440p resolution, and 1000Hz won't be far away, as many are calling 1000Hz OLED the holy grail to get true CRT motion clarity with all the advantages of OLED as mentioned

Actually Micro LED is the long future, but currently they are super expensive and a niche in the professional world. That will change over time though.

Currently Samsung Micro LED displays can be bought, smallest size if 89" and will cost a mere $109,000

hahaha was talking from the point of view of the tech. Not that a 20yr old used crt will beat a brand new oled. I know that over time the picture degrades. I am not attacking OLED :D

Edit, "and 1000Hz won't be far away, as many are calling 1000Hz OLED the holy grail to get true CRT motion clarity with all the advantages of OLED as mentioned" the point being that the CRT tech wouldn't need to run anywhere near 1000fps for the clarity.

Last edited:
That's the estimate yes, it already exists in prototype - there are 1000hz prototype OLED panels out there, so it will be coming to consumer displays in future

Last edited:
It's worth remembering though that 1000hz OLED monitors are not the holy grail some think it will be. 1000hz is hard, your PC will not be able to push those frames very easily, even future PCs won't at the current rate of advancement. So while 1000hz OLED theoretically sounds great, it's worth remembering that it's much easier to do 60fps on a CRT than 1000fps on an OLED and all the sport you watch will never be shown at 1000fps so the CRT will still have better motion for most content and applications

So I don't see OLED as a long term future proof technology

Back
Top Bottom