Draytek Vigor 130 and FTTC SNR setting increased sync

Associate
It's been rock solid for ages so I don't understand why it's dropped. I'm not sure if it's worth the effort of speaking to PlusNet about it as I'm certain a DLM reset will sort it, but whether I can convince them to arrange an engineer is another story.
Are Plusnet able to do a remote DLM reset? Not sure what the criteria is though to have one done.

Soldato
It's been rock solid for ages so I don't understand why it's dropped. I'm not sure if it's worth the effort of speaking to PlusNet about it as I'm certain a DLM reset will sort it, but whether I can convince them to arrange an engineer is another story.
Yea they would most likely just submit a DLM reset request. They usually only send out engineers if a fault is identified or can see that your service is being impacted. Which in your case is being banded but they will just do what you all ready know they will :( And then you have to go through the wait of your line training and stabilising again

Soldato
Little bump. Just picked up a Draytek Vigor 130 to try out in place of a Billion 8800NL R2 that I had been using for the last year.

The 130 seems to be far better for my upstream sync which was never higher than ~12 on the Billion. Now I have ~19 up which matches what a recent Openreach engineer reported his handheld device connected at.

Using -25 for the SNR Margin and have bumped my downstream up slightly as well.

Soldato
Little bump. Just picked up a Draytek Vigor 130 to try out in place of a Billion 8800NL R2 that I had been using for the last year.

The 130 seems to be far better for my upstream sync which was never higher than ~12 on the Billion. Now I have ~19 up which matches what a recent Openreach engineer reported his handheld device connected at.

Using -25 for the SNR Margin and have bumped my downstream up slightly as well.
Keep an eye out on it though would be my advice. I did something similar and it seemed happy untill i noticed my speed had dropped. Checked my vigor 130 webconfig and saw it reset/dropped connection a few times. Obviously couldn't handle the lower SNR. So it dropped speed to compensate. So put it back and the line eventually went back to normal. I only like the 130 because it gives me abit of power over my connection. At christmas i have to raise my SNR to keep my connection stable. Mainly probably because of all the Xmas trees being used and causing increased noise on the lines.

Associate
Another little bump to say thank you to ChrisD and everyone here. Found this post after some Ducking and Googling. My DS speed was lucky to get 52 Mbps, now up to a much better 63 Mbps (ish). However, I didn't opt to go for the full -50 delta as the FEC errors were going crazy (100,000s in matter of minutes) so used vdsl snr -30 instead to force a 3 dB SNR. Definitely an improvement and has been stable for days now.

Happy new year for 2019 everybody and hoping Openreach keeps rolling G.INP and/or "Ultrafast" as much as they can across the UK!

DrayTek Vigor 2860> vdsl status
---------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A/B/C) -----------
Running Mode : 17A State : SHOWTIME
DS Actual Rate : 62241000 bps US Actual Rate : 17599000 bps
DS Attainable Rate : 72481080 bps US Attainable Rate : 17825706 bps
DS Path Mode : Interleave US Path Mode : Fast
DS Interleave Depth : 907 US Interleave Depth : 1
NE Current Attenuation : 17 dB Cur SNR Margin : 3 dB
DS actual PSD : 6. 7 dB US actual PSD : 6. 9 dB
NE CRC Count : 164 FE CRC Count : 1425
NE ES Count : 30 FE ES Count : 811
Xdsl Reset Times : 0 Xdsl Link Times : 5
ITU Version[0] : 00000000 ITU Version[1] : 00000000
VDSL Firmware Version : 05-07-06-0D-01-07 [with Vectoring support]
Power Management Mode : DSL_G997_PMS_L0
Test Mode : DISABLE
-------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------
Far Current Attenuation : 20 dB Far SNR Margin : 6 dB
CO ITU Version[0] : b5004946 CO ITU Version[1] : 544eb206
DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR : < IFTN >

DrayTek Vigor 2860> vdsl status more
---------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A/B/C) -----------
Near End Far End Note
Trellis : 1 1
Bitswap : 1 1
ReTxEnable : 0 0
VirtualNoise : 0 0
20BitSupport : 0 0
LatencyPath : 0 0
LOS : 0 0
LOF : 0 0
LPR : 0 0
LOM : 0 0
SosSuccess : 0 0
NCD : 0 0
LCD : 0 0
FECS : 541458 21835 (seconds)
ES : 30 811 (seconds)
SES : 0 30 (seconds)
LOSS : 0 140 (seconds)
UAS : 41 13711 (seconds)
HECError : 0 0
CRC : 164 1425
INP : 0 15 (symbols)
INTLVDelay : 0 800 (1/100 ms)
NFEC : 255 85
RFEC : 16 16
LSYMB : 4719 19259
INTLVBLOCK : 255 85
AELEM : 0 ----

Associate
Hi,

Is there any snr change that can help my stats? I’m concerned about the interleave depth.

Running Mode : 17A State : SHOWTIME
DS Actual Rate : 39848000 bps US Actual Rate : 11944000 bps
DS Attainable Rate : 46050728 bps US Attainable Rate : 11987770 bps
DS Path Mode : Interleave US Path Mode : Fast
DS Interleave Depth : 581 US Interleave Depth : 1
NE Current Attenuation : 19 dB Cur SNR Margin : 5 dB
DS actual PSD : 6. 5 dB US actual PSD : 12. 8 dB
NE CRC Count : 6 FE CRC Count : 825
NE ES Count : 3 FE ES Count : 675
Xdsl Reset Times : 0 Xdsl Link Times : 1
ITU Version[0] : ITU Version[1] :
VDSL Firmware Version : 05-07-06-0D-01-07 [with Vectoring support]
Power Management Mode : DSL_G997_PMS_L0
Test Mode : DISABLE
-------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------
Far Current Attenuation : 26 dB Far SNR Margin : 6 dB
CO ITU Version[0] : b5004946 CO ITU Version[1] : 544ed086
DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR : < IFTN >

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi @l3ully

No, there is nothing you can do to change the Interleave depth from the modem. This is solely set by the Dynamic Line Management (DLM) by Openreach.

If you're line has a low amount of errors over time, DLM may reduce/remove interleaving automatically (can take weeks or months), but if your line experiences errors, DLM will simply put interleaving back on and/or increase it.

The only thing you could possibly do is ask your ISP if they can request a DLM reset on your line. If after this has happened, you still have interleaving, then it's likely due to number of errors on your line.

**Edit**
Zen's link here has a good bit of info about DLM:
https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowle...oadband-FTTC-What-is-DLM-and-how-does-it-work

Associate
Thanks for the info Zico.

I am convinced that the interleaving increased after I upgraded my Draytek 130 from 3.8.2 to 3.8.3 firmware, this could also just be a coincidence. But before I upgraded the firmware it was constantly on a depth of 1.

My ISP is BT and I’m on Infinity 2. My cabinet is ECI.

Last edited:
Soldato
It will definitely be DLM. Based on the number of errors it may have seen on your line, coupled with the reboot/resync after the firmware update would have caused it to put the interleave on. As mentioned before, you can either wait and see if DLM set's things back to Fastpath for downstream or try your luck with BT Retail support and ask if they can request a DLM reset on the line.

Associate
It will definitely be DLM. Based on the number of errors it may have seen on your line, coupled with the reboot/resync after the firmware update would have caused it to put the interleave on. As mentioned before, you can either wait and see if DLM set's things back to Fastpath for downstream or try your luck with BT Retail support and ask if they can request a DLM reset on the line.

Ok thanks.

Read a couple of people’s comments on the Draytek forum stating that the BT firmwares don’t work well on the 130 if you are on an ECI cabinet and to use the alternative version.

Man of Honour
OP
Ok thanks.

Read a couple of people’s comments on the Draytek forum stating that the BT firmwares don’t work well on the 130 if you are on an ECI cabinet and to use the alternative version.
Oh really? My sync has dropped to 59Mb and I'm using the BT firmware on an ECI cabinet.

Associate
On the Draytek 130 firmware download page there is the latest 3.8.3 BT version and an alternative version and they suggest the alternative one.

Can I post the link of the Draytek forum on here ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom