Drip coffee thread

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Started buying beans now i have a hand grinder (Coffee Burr Mill) was around £20 pretty decent just got to figure out how fine i need the grind for my Aeropress.

Regarding beans, where do people recommend to buy them from been using Pact for some time now and just wondering if there are any other places i can try for some good quality beans :).

I buy from Pact as well - good coffee. I also buy from Hasbean - they're quite popular and sell some cracking coffees.

Soldato
I have a subscription from Hasbean, it's well priced and really convenient to get a fresh back dropped in the post box once a fortnight (you can choose weekly/fortnightly/monthly).

I recently tried some from Square Mile Coffee though and that was really good.

Associate
I buy from Pact as well - good coffee. I also buy from Hasbean - they're quite popular and sell some cracking coffees.

I have a subscription from Hasbean, it's well priced and really convenient to get a fresh back dropped in the post box once a fortnight (you can choose weekly/fortnightly/monthly).

I recently tried some from Square Mile Coffee though and that was really good.

Ah nice, Will try Hasbean out next week when i need a new bag, Also 45p cheaper then Pact xD

Associate
Thanks for the suggestions Ducky, I'll have a read up on both :) I had the MC2 when I had a gaggia classic but would really need a stepped grinder as it's too much of a pain switching between fine & course which is why I got rid of it.

I feel your pain - yeah, I've stopped having 'spro recently because I can't be arsed with the hassle of switching it back and forth. I prefer brewed anyway so will probably sell my Classic and spend the dosh on a syphon :D

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Make sure you use really fresh coffee if you try it, because it seemed toreally highlight how stale my grind was. It was much better with a fresh roast and grind.

I did myself a cold brew at the weekend. I took the above advice on board - coffee was roasted on Friday, delivered on Saturday and was ground and in the brew within a couple of hours. I took some pictures just for the hell of it:

250g of coffee in ~2l cold water. Brewed for around 18 hours:
afXgNqh.jpg

Gave me about 1500ml of cold brew:
69mg1gw.jpg

Wasn't all that fussed with it neat but it's a different beast with a tablespoon of condensed milk in 200ml of coffee, served with ice - very yummy:
WaSpE5g.jpg

Soldato
Wasn't all that fussed with it neat but it's a different beast with a tablespoon of condensed milk in 200ml of coffee, served with ice - very yummy:
WaSpE5g.jpg

OMG WTF Bovine juice. :D

I often have coffee in the morning, then leave 1/2 the cafetiere. When it's cooled the coffee clarifies as the particles drop out.

The result is a really clean, full, cold black coffee.

Now it's winter I may not be so inclined :)

Soldato
Hmm, im tempted to try out a chemex, purely from a coffee lovers stand point i have that curiosity eating away at me. I have been using a cheap burr grinder for a while now to brew my french press coffee but i cant help but wonder if my money would be better spent investing in a better grinder rather than a chemex and a swan neck kettle.

I love the mouth feel and oil i get form the filterless brew, am i going to be disappointed sacrificing this for a pour over method, is there another aspect to be gained that would benefit me over the FP?

Man of Honour
You could take a look at the Able Kone Brewer. Metal Kone filter is the same as the one they use in the Chemex, but it fits in their own brewer.

Not cheap at all, but lovely.

Back
Top Bottom