Driveclub more details

Soldato
Agreed, FH2 and DC are two different games, if I want to drive a Lamborghini through a Vineyard I'll play Forza. But I don't, I like my point to point/circuit races, I'll look towards Driveclub.

DC is the opposite of FH as the game punishes bad driving heavily with more focus on the perfect lap.

Soldato
It's not what they were saying, rather what i was seeing. Just didn't look very exciting :)

Reading user reviews over at Gaf I'm not getting that impression. There's a lot like what the game is trying to do. I found PGR very addictive due to way it encouraged driving the perfect lap, this sounds to do the same.

Soldato
Reviews are getting silly lately, they focus more on what a game isn't rather than what it is, comparing 2 different kinds of driving games doesn't make much sense to me.

I find people in general, online or offline have negative attitudes. Whether it's a society thing where we now have raised expectations or just through some sort of self-entitlement people have...and also it's just more likely someone will be annoyed and moan about than be happy and gush about something.

Reviews, as you say are just all over the place most of the time.

I find my opinion on things very rarely co-incides with the mass opinion so I tend to put little stock in the opinion of someone else.

At least this game is on PS+ so I can try it out. I think all games should be like that and it would force developers to try and make something good because nobody would buy it after playing it otherwise.

Soldato
For those that don't follow on FB, this was posted 5hrs ago:

We're just as frustrated as you about the server performance issues right now. We want you to be racing with clubs and having fun playing challenges, not checking facebook updates from us to see if the servers are updated yet.
We'll have more info for you later today (Thursday) so please bear with us while we work through this.
In case you don't already know, the servers are up and running but they are hitting their performance limits, so they won't accept new connections until one of the current online players frees up their space (allowing another to join in their place, which happens automatically and player selection is random).
If and when you get online, you should not have any connectivity issues during the remainder of your session. When you finish and disconnect, you'll free up a space for someone else. This is obviously not ideal, especially given that there are a lot of players waiting to connect, but that's how it's working right now.
The whole team here at Evolution Studios have got their shoulders to the wheel working hard to improve this situation: developing updates and upgrades to the servers - and testing these updates around the clock so that we can get them live. We hope you can enjoy the game offline while we work to improve the server performance and get you connected - and we're sorry that you're having to wait to play the game online as we intended for it to be played.

Edit to add link:
https://www.facebook.com/driveclubofficial/posts/707655152652181

Last edited:
Soldato
For those that don't follow on FB, this was posted 5hrs ago:

We're just as frustrated as you about the server performance issues right now. We want you to be racing with clubs and having fun playing challenges, not checking facebook updates from us to see if the servers are updated yet.
We'll have more info for you later today (Thursday) so please bear with us while we work through this.
In case you don't already know, the servers are up and running but they are hitting their performance limits, so they won't accept new connections until one of the current online players frees up their space (allowing another to join in their place, which happens automatically and player selection is random).
If and when you get online, you should not have any connectivity issues during the remainder of your session. When you finish and disconnect, you'll free up a space for someone else. This is obviously not ideal, especially given that there are a lot of players waiting to connect, but that's how it's working right now.
The whole team here at Evolution Studios have got their shoulders to the wheel working hard to improve this situation: developing updates and upgrades to the servers - and testing these updates around the clock so that we can get them live. We hope you can enjoy the game offline while we work to improve the server performance and get you connected - and we're sorry that you're having to wait to play the game online as we intended for it to be played.

Edit to add link:
https://www.facebook.com/driveclubofficial/posts/707655152652181

One out, one in, it's like a weekend on the town.

Soldato
I've had it since yesterday, the game is fine for what it's trying to be, a track racer. Most of the reviews make no sense, most of them are using the fact it's not an open world racer like Horizon as a negative, Driveclub has never once attempted to be an open world racer.

Reviews are getting silly lately, they focus more on what a game isn't rather than what it is, comparing 2 different kinds of driving games doesn't make much sense to me.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

The problem is a really good game comes out and then everyone is upset that every other game after that isn't the same. I think the danger in that is it can lead to developers not being creative and producing the same safe reincarnation of a game.

I'm looking forward to this. If I don't like it, woop dee doo. More games to come!

Caporegime
OP
Should've just binned the whole thing, made it an 8-bit style racing game, would'vebeen met with critical acclaim.

We certainly need more 8 bit titles this generation.

Associate
I've put in a good 4 or 5 hours on this now, and really enjoying it.
It's good at what it's trying to be, and I can't wait to be racing against some RL players rather than AI. The AI does get annoying - not very well written as the cars just want the racing line regardless of where you are on track.

All the comments I've been reading about lack of customisation etc, I think they're really missing the point - cars are grouped into performance levels, with varying top speed, accel, handling, drifting etc - you take your pick and you race the best you can. It's much more focused on the driver and driving, which I really like.

If you get beaten badly on a track it's not because the car you're driving isn't capable of doing better, it's because you need more practise (<-- polite :))

Enjoying this more and more tbh. £35 very well spent.

Soldato
I've put in a good 4 or 5 hours on this now, and really enjoying it.
It's good at what it's trying to be, and I can't wait to be racing against some RL players rather than AI. The AI does get annoying - not very well written as the cars just want the racing line regardless of where you are on track.

All the comments I've been reading about lack of customisation etc, I think they're really missing the point - cars are grouped into performance levels, with varying top speed, accel, handling, drifting etc - you take your pick and you race the best you can. It's much more focused on the driver and driving, which I really like.

If you get beaten badly on a track it's not because the car you're driving isn't capable of doing better, it's because you need more practise (<-- polite :))

Enjoying this more and more tbh. £35 very well spent.

That's good to know, I was going to order the Plus upgrade last night. Think I'll read some more opinions today and order later.

Soldato
Nice to hear, someone who has actually played it.

Are penalties as bad as some people make out, are they given for the minor mistakes?

Also I've not researched much into the tracks and locations, are they real world tracks?

Thanks

Soldato
Does trolling mean having a differing opinion to someone else?

Not at all, and I accept that there are some flaws with this game. It's the people coming into this thread after reading one negative review and going on about it like it's the worst game to ever come out. If it doesn't get over a 9/10 from IGN then it must be bad!

And then repeating this, over and over, for pages and pages..

Back
Top Bottom