• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

E8600 E0 Overclocks

Soldato
Oh and for those wanting benches/proofs etc... Here was my 20 mins Orthos stable 4.2Ghz with too many volts (I can lower that if it ends up my 24/7 clock, but I'm shooting high for now) :D

4-2-orthos-stable.jpg

Soldato
Rainmaker: Any chance of getting the memory tabs from CPU-z in your screenies please! Is it the 4GB OCZ Reaper DDR2 6400 from your sig you are using? Have to tested that beforehand to see if it is happy running faster than 800MHz?

Edit: Just noticed you are running the Prime/Blend test and not the Prime/Small FFts, try to run the latter and see if it fails so quickly?

Soldato
Hi Wayne,

Yeah it's the Reaper in my sig, set 1:1 with FSB (the n00b guide said so?)... Anyways here's the tabs. Note these shots were taken a minute ago after a BSOD caused me to reboot. The BSOD said "Bad Pool Call" if that means anything? Anyways, I'm back to 4.2Ghz stable for now til we sort this out:

cpuz-memory.png
cpuz-spd.png
cpuz-spd.png

Is this any help?
EDIT: Oh and btw, my BIOS has an option called DRAM Config (or similar) and the choices are AUTO, Config1, Config2, Config3. Nobody seems to know quite what they do, and different options work better for different folks it seems. So I have that to mess with as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Rainmaker: It would seem your overclocking your memory above it's rated speed, if it really nice stuff then that would be fine but if its not the best kit then you may be experiencing memory related errors while shooting for the moon with your CPU.

If your force powers are strong then maybe you will have great success overclocking everything at once but a more methodical approach is to test the different elements involved separately (Memory, FSB, CPU).

The methodical approach is not for those that lack patience but once the technique is mastered you can be confident of achieving the best possible results.

Lower your FSB which will also lower the CPU, then find out about and use your memory dividers to run your sticks asynchronously on an upward divider (i.e get the memory running a lot faster than the FSB) and see what its made of, to get the fastest frequency possible from your ram you may need to relax its timings from 4-4-4-12 to 5-5-5-15 and also manually raise the vDimm voltage and juice up the sticks . . . . but make sure you don't fry them! :eek:

Once you get an idea of what your memory is capable of you can get stuck back in to the next step which is the motherboard/FSB. Set the memory to run 1:1 with the FSB again, lower the multiplier on the processor to its minimum (x6 I think?) and start cranking the FSB and see if you can get as far as the memory was running i.e say when you performed the first memory test it maxed out at 460MHz (5-5-5-15) then you hopefully should be able to reach this same speed with your FSB . . .if not then perhaps you need to adjust some boards voltages like vNB or vFSB(vTT) etc but I reckon you will be fine.

Lastly once you have a better idea of what the board and memory can do then and only then are you ready to release the CPU back to it's maximum divider and start shooting for the moon again! :D

Hopefully this helps :)

Soldato
Thanks a lot Wayne! That's a really helpful post; +1 to you. I've saved my current successful clock in the BIOS, so I can play around at will and still get back to where I am now in 10 seconds flat if I want/need to :) So, I'll be following your advice tomorrow (well, later as the case may now be). The Reaper RAM is supposed to run at >1000Mhz 4,4,4,15 really easily, so I can't see a shade over 400Mhz hurting it at stock timings and volts; but again that's something to find out for myself tomorrow/later!

As I said, I'd have preferred a faster week 22 chip. BUT to be honest let's forget the 'bug' a moment and reflect. For much less than I was planning to spend on a quad I'd hardly have used, I have a chip going 4.2Ghz+ per core, at low volts (compared to 65nm tech) and at half the temps of my last chip. Every gain from here is a definite bonus, not a must-have :):D

Last edited:
Soldato
just stuck mine in a Q820A670 but as ive posted in anthour thread

"i just stuck in my E8600 this morining , eveything at stock , idle temp 43/37 , load 43/42 same at 4ghz at stock volts , i think the bios for my board (the only subporting bios , mite be bugged as if i swich speed step on in stays in the speedstep clock or lower in my case stuck at x6 multiplier but swich it off in the bios and speed steps works as normal but is not off (ie not running at 3.33ghz/4ghz at idle) this is watercooled with the rad sat in a open window on this chilly morning , going to wipe the bios again see if this helps"

i did clean the waterblock and cpu before i installed it , reapplyed come AS5 as it was a VERY VERY thin layer but temps have not bumbed at all , and is showing 33c in the bios , Coretemp , HWmoniter speed fan as well , allthough all thre temps are the differnt , still str8 to 4ghz stock volts on my board is not bad (orthos only been running for 30mins though) i will report back later , i be happyer if the i can sort the bios bug

Soldato
4Ghz at stock volts? I managed that ("Windows stable") but it fell over on Orthos after about 10 mins. How did yours fare? I can't advise re: temps, except to tell you mine are between 28 and 32 idle, and 45 and 50 at load (average) on air.

Soldato
that was only a quick 30mins of it though so ill run it for a couple of hours next while playing a game or somthing before i push it but my 4.6ghz goal is looking very easy atm , anyways i just rest my bios had the bat out and eveything and nothing has changed on the temp side of things and the bios bug is still there as the 0902 bios is the only one that subports the E0's as well as the E8600 im going to have to live with that only seeing 1.064v on CPUZ is nice though shame the bios bug is screwing me around with speed step on is stuck at 2ghz under load , going to reboot again at 4ghz with speed step off

Soldato
Still gotta work on my overclock, but I'm over the moon even at 4.2Ghz... it can only get better! :D Anyway, since we're all busy learning how this chip works, here's a few graphs I made.

All are benchmarks taken in Everest (same version of Everest Ultimate for both test runs). Blue = my old hacked down and upgraded AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200, 3GB DDR PC3200 RAM from Compaq. Red = Newly updated rig (specs in sig). Nothing too scientific, just a nice little "wow!" for me to compare my current upgrade overclock to the AMD rig I just paid to replace!

cpu-benchmarks.png

fpu-benchmarks.png

memory-speeds.png

The RAM needs work, and I'm SURE I can get a good couple or so hundred Mhz extra once that's sorted. Still, it makes me say "Wow!" which is all I can ask for :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Another nice result! good work ns400r :)

Is there any commentary to accompany that screenshot? :D

Air cooling? Got any higher? Any problems working your way up to that speed etc?

Soldato
Another nice result! good work ns400r :)

Is there any commentary to accompany that screenshot? :D

Air cooling? Got any higher? Any problems working your way up to that speed etc?

Cooler is a Scythe Ninja B. The CPU is a week 20 one and will play at 4.4 but hasn't yet loaded Windows at 4.5. This particular overclock was effortless as was 4.4. Seems, as others have noticed, that anything higher than 4.4 just won't happen, system will post at 4.5 but not fully load Windows. Maybe adjusting the motherboard voltages might help with that but I haven't got around to trying those yet. Motherboard is a Gigabyte P45-DS3P.

Q820A670 ¦ 4300 Mhz ¦ 1.344v ¦ 1.2500v ¦ 57 ¦ Scythe Ninja B ¦ Gigabyte P45-DS3P ¦ NS400R ¦ http://www.ns400r.co.uk/misc/Image2.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
:eek: Nice job!! Screenie of CPU-Z? :D

a bit off topic but i will take every opputuinity to wave my e-pen* :D

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c45/BornEvil_/q6600423.jpg

not stable at 4.23Ghz though, left prime95 running while out. come back rebooted but worked out that it primed for about 2 hours.

Too high volts and temps at this clock so will not try any further that is for sure.

ATM it is at 4Ghz with decent temps, rock stable, freshly baked screenie:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c45/BornEvil_/q66004ghz.jpg

Water cooling: D-Tek fuzion 2 with quad nozzle, TFC X-Changer 360, Laing DDC-1T Ultra, and a mcw60 also in loop.

edit: removed tags,

don't discuss this on this thread

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Dude what the HELL! :confused:

Get your 2007 65nm Quad Core results out this thread!!!! :D

Seriously otherwise I'll go off topic also and start sharing my vegetarian recipes with you all, it will be chaos I tell ya! :p

lolol. a big DOH!

I can choose to edit my 1st 'E8600 Only' post, or delete my q6600 post ;) hmmm... what should i do...

i'll leave it! it is my post and i am the king around here! hehe, but promise no more

I don't think i will get another E8600 anymore but will keep this running until it dies out

also need your clock for the database, get working :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom