• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

E8600 E0 Overclocks

Soldato
OK I'm following your advice Big.Wayne. I printed out your post (thanks again btw :D) and I've lowered my CPU to 10x300 then 10x250 to get different memory dividers. So far I've booted to Vista (and done a blend test to push the RAM) at the following (note my RAM sticker rates 4,4,4,15 between 2.1 and 2.2 volts):

10x300.7 with RAM at 451Mhz (900Mhz) @ 5,5,5,15 and 2.14v
10x300.7 with RAM at 480Mhz (960Mhz) @ 5,5,5,15 and 2.14v

To access different speeds I dropped the CPU's FSB again to get:
10x250 with RAM at 500Mhz (1000Mhz) @ 5,5,5,15 and 2.14v

Now going to push past 500 / 1000 Mhz to see where my limits are. I wish I'd bought the 1066 RAM now but this is doing well for 800Mhz eh? Anyway I'm about to reboot. Just some progress in writing in case the dog decides to eat my notes or something, or if anyone has anything to add that I've missed? As you said, once I can't push the RAM any further I'll drop the multi and start pushing FSB up etc etc. This is fun :)

EDIT to save spamming up the place too much ;) RAM now running stable at 550Mhz (1100Mhz DDR) at 5,5,5,15 2.14v.... It just keeps going. The heatpipes are just starting to feel warm on its heatsinks, so I guess it's got room in it yet! I don't think I need to carry on going? Surely 1100Mhz on 800Mhz RAM is more than enough of an overclock? I can't see myself needing more than 550Mhz FSB on the mobo at 10x multi once I start pushing the CPU = win?

Last edited:

VTR

VTR

Soldato
Think I've found the best 24/7 setting for my sytem for temps, voltage, mem speed etc -

my.php

Quite pleased with the result, don't think its worth hunting down a better chip for the extra 200mhz or so, although it is tempting!

Soldato
Nice job VTR :) Got any screenies for that clock? The way your post was written "mem speed etc -".... then a gap, looked like there was meant to be a pic?? (EDIT - n/m, just got the email notification with the pic link, it's not loading inside the forum for some reason).

Anyway I'm really hitting a wall now :( Not my hardware - that has bags of room left yet... It's my lack of knowledge (n00b alert) :D Could someone (Big.Wayne? VTR?) please check my new thread, if you would be so kind, to save me derailing this CLOCKS thread any further? My help thread. Much obliged :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Not yet, the weekend if I've got time :D

What voltages should I need on the NB for what FSB's? What's the highest 24/7 NB voltage for stock cooling?

I ripped off that heatpipe contraption the day i got the board and have the NB under water so have'nt got a clue for stock cooling. I know that anything up to 400mhz i don't have to touch any of the motherboard voltages. For 450mhz (with a Q6600) i had 1.42v set for the NB. I think it was 1.55v for 520mhz when i got a E8500 to 4.5Ghz. Stupidly, because i only had the E8500 for such a short time i did'nt keep any records of my settings.

Soldato
I know that anything up to 400mhz i don't have to touch any of the motherboard voltages. For 450mhz (with a Q6600) i had 1.42v set for the NB. I think it was 1.55v for 520mhz when i got a E8500 to 4.5Ghz.

Oh, so THAT'S why I can't boot past 10x430 or 6x520? :D Would you please take a quick look at my problem thread, linked just above your post? :)

Soldato
RAM now running stable at 550Mhz (1100Mhz DDR) at 5,5,5,15 2.14v
Hi Rainmaker,

If your sure the sticks are stable at those speeds your ready to drop the memory divider back to 1:1 and run it synchronously with your FSB. Still making sure your CPU is running on its lowest divider you can start cranking the FSB speed up again . . .450MHz . . . 475MHz . . . .500MHz! :eek:

If your patience is dwindling and your keen to get back to your CPU overclock then at the very least you will need to confirm FSB stability of 450MHz (system Bus 1800MHz). The memory should react exactly the same when running 1:1 so from your finding so far the sticks won't cause you any problems while your testing your board.

There is a rare scenario known as FSB Wall (which Im sure you heard about before) where some chips are halted in their tracks once the FSB reach very high, if you continue tested methodically it will become quite obvious if your chip has this but it's quite a rare condition and its something I'm pretty sure doesn't effect the latest Wolfdales until you start climbing to uBer high FSBs . . .

So your Memory is good, now see if your motherboard (and the MB's current voltage settings) are good. . .

6x400 = 2400MHz - Pass
6x425 = 2550MHz - Pass
6x450 = 2700MHz - Pass
6x475 = 2850MHz - Hopefully will pass, board may need tweaking
6x500 = 3000MHz - With some luck will pass but likely you will need to make board adjustments, voltages etc

I will be waiting for a screenshot with your processor running at 3GHz (6x500) with your memory also running 1:1 500MHz (DDR2-1000), probably an hour or two of Prime Blend will do for now! :cool:

Soldato
I hav'nt read any documented proof of a FSB wall on the E8600's yet. But i am 99% certain i have a wall on mine between 560fsb and 570fsb. Not a big problem really, as it's not a position i would be clocking at, but nonetheless it is still there.

Soldato
Ah, that would be an *FSB-Hole* which I didn't mention in my previous posts due to information overload . .

FSB Wall = As explained above, once you hit an FSB wall there is very little a user can do to continue overclocking. It is rumoured there are a few mystical cloaked overclockers that can dispel an FSB Wall with some mutterings and a few waves of their fingers but these arcane users are few and far between these days! In my personal but limited experience of this strange phenomena an FSB-Wall doesn't *suddenly* appear but rather slowly creeps up over the course of 5-10MHz. As you get closer and closer to the FSB-Wall limit you may begin to experience strange side effects and occasional crashing/Prime Failures, this last zone of several MHz is often referred to as the Ragged-Edge

FSB Hole = Similar to the FSB-Wall a low level user could be fooled into thinking they have run out of luck and reached the chips FSB limit, however unlike an FSB-Wall it is possible to push on overclocking by performing a Leapfrog or a Salmon-Leap (lol! :D) on the FSB-Hole. This move is a little tricky to perform at first and requires great patience but basically involved setting the FSB 5MHz-10MHz *beyond* where you think the FSB-Wall/Hole begins and try again to boot the PC or carry on your stability testing. You may need to do this 4 or 5 times as u gradually leapfrog to a higher and higher FSB frequency. Obviously while testing for an FSB-Hole it would be best to have the CPU's divider set to minimum (x6) to take it out the trouble-shooting equation and same for the memory, set sticks to a relaxed set of timings and make sure they have enough juice (vDimm)

Having said all of that both these scenarios are becoming increasingly rare these days using INTEL's latest and great silicon but having some basic understanding/background of what they are could prove useful in the future! :cool:

Soldato
Sorry, yes your right BW, should have said FSB hole. Not much of a hole anyway, so it dos'nt really matter. For the vast majority of peeps, it may not even be something they are likely to find as they would'nt be able to run at that speed anyway.

Soldato
snipped helpful stuff :D

Hi again Wayne,

Did you check out my other thread as per link mate? :) I have CPU-Z shots in that thread, showing my already successful 6x510 run at 1:1 and auto voltages on the chipset :D 6x520 won't boot (explained in my other thread), that's my "wall" so far. I need help working out what to do next if you don't mind checking out that thread please mate?

BTW on x10 multi, this same "wall" manifests itself at 10x430. 10x420 is rock stable but 10x430 won't boot. I'm guessing that's the point I need to start + on the chipset volts? Basically your "methodical" method has helped me 'prove' to myself that the RAM is capable of the higher clock than the 4.2 I'm stuck at now, but then on its own so is the mobo FSB... just when I try to run them BOTH above that (ie at 1:1) I get a non-boot. If you wouldn't mind replying on the other thread with my screenies, I'll buy you an e-beer ;) Thanks again for your help!

Soldato
Hi Rainmaker,

I did see your other thread but I'm gonna stick to helping out in this one thread as I'm loath to get stuck in to dedicated support threads when we have a nice general E8600 overclocking thread running here!

Rainmaker said:

These are good results and really I would encourage you to get a few hours of stability testing done, nice to see you got your memory, FSB and processor all running over 500MHz-FSB. If your board (and its current settings) and the memory are really stable at these speeds the only area that needs work now is the processor and associated voltage settings. . .

The technique required for getting to grips with your processor is often referred to as Scaling or CPU Voltage Scaling to be precise, it requires a heap of patience but the end result will be the knowledge of how your personal bit of silicon plays . . .

The first thing to find out is what is the *real* VID of your personal chip, you would need to manually configure your CPU multi, your boards FSB and the processors voltages (vCore and PLL).

Aim no.1: What is the lowest vCore you can manually set in BIOS and get your E8600 running at its stock parameters (10x333= 3.3GHz) and still boot up fine and pass say 1-2 hours of Prime Small FFTs? Work this out, take some notes (inc temps) have a beer and push on to the next stage

Aim no.2: Similar to above but this time find out What is the lowest vCore you can manually set in BIOS and get your E8600 running at slightly overclocked parameters (10x400= 4.0GHz)

Once you get an idea of how much voltage your processor needs at any given frequency you will understand what is its sweetspot!

The Processor Sweetspot: is the balance point between high Processor speeds vs Processor Voltage. Once you pass the sweetspot you will find the chips starts needing more and more voltage to make rather small gains.

It's ok to pursue these gains as long as you have good cooling etc but it's only to find out what is the actual MAX your chip would run at and maybe pop off a few benchies at this crazy high speeds.

Running a chip for extended durations well past its sweetspot is something I personally do not do and don't advise as general good practice, not so much because of possible damage to the hardware or having to spend a lot of extra £££money£££ on your cooling but mainly because the more you pump vCore the more electricty your computer uses and the less energy efficient is becomes (less Eco and bigger electricty £££bills£££). :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
No probs! :)

The thing that I didn't explain properly about the CPU scaling tests is that once you see the pattern of how your Chip is reacting to voltage it can help you understand if the reason for a failed overclock is simply a matter of vCore

Example Scaling Results using an off-topic old E6300 processor soz!
1862MHz @ 0.95vCore 2337MHz @ 1.10vCore 2800MHz @ 1.20vCore 3325MHz @ 1.38vCore

There comes a point with adding vCore when enough is enough, the wattage gets pulled out your wall socket quicker, the hardware is more stressed and runs a lot hotter and the gains become smaller and smaller. Bottom line is all chips are not created equal and sometimes you get lucky while other times you don't. Try not to compare your results two strictly to others as if they have a golden sample chip and you do not then your never gonna be happy and normally end up blowing well past the sweetspot of your personal chip.

With good aircooling as a personal rule of thumb I tend to call it a day with my max overclocks once the fully loaded (Prime Small FFTs) core temps hit approx 65°C, there is no particular science to this but something I just feel comfy with.

I'm sure the chips can run hotter and maybe I'm being a wuss but I have noticed that the bulk of the chips *FREE* MHz is unlocked while the CPU is running nice and cool. This subject will only become even more relevant once INTEL shift the memory controller away from the northbridge and into the CPU in their next-Gen Core i7 platform, I'm sure that won't like being run at really high processor temps either! :cool:

Associate
lo this is my first overclock does all look ok.the volage core on cpuz is wrong in my bios it set to 1.275.only up to 4.00ghz feels fast at that
Untitled-4.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok folks, below is where my clock is at the moment. Although i have Primed at 5.15ghz as well, 5.1ghz is completely 3d stable as well, which is why i'm posting it at the moment. I have updated my sig as well, all the clock details are in the link in my sig.

Soldato
mine atm passed Orthos at 1.47V for 9 hours , tryed 4.5ghz 1.5/1.51 but fails in sec , boots but fails to load windows at 5ghz+ m test at 4.42ghz at 1.45v (1.42v real) but my chip limit seems to be between 4.4ghz and 4.5ghz

Back
Top Bottom