• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

E8600 E0 Overclocks

Soldato
Then why are some people's CPU's failing within 15 minutes that have already been through many, many hours of prime? I'd like to know. If IntelBurnTest is no good then wtf is Prime good for? IBT is much more stressful and pushes hardware much further than Prime. Another thing -- the amount of time you run it for (actually, there is no set time, you do a certain number of runs, the minimum recommended being 5) needs to be based on how much RAM you have. More RAM = more runs = longer period of time it takes to run.

Only putting the system to max for like 15mins compared to 8 hours no matter what program the 8 hours would always be best, as its got higher chance of failing in the long run.

Its true it does push the CPU much further, my temps where hitting 86 compared to orthos at 70, god knows why orthos is even at 70 atm my room temp must be hot.

Associate
I'm not too impressed with my e8600 either, if truth be known.

After a few days of trial and error I finally managed to get it prime stable at 4.2ghz/1.32v, but it fails at anything higher, no matter how high the vcore. I find it strange that it'll bench and game all day long up to 4.7ghz on the same 1.32 vcore (possibly 1.35v for 4.7ghz) yet it refuses to run prime for more than 16 mins at anything higher than 4.2ghz. :confused: Weird little thing. :D Tried it in a few different mobo's as well.

After taking the initial user reviews and the price of the chip into consideration I was actually hoping for 4.4ghz stable. To be fair it's a great little benching chip but that's about it. I think I'm going to bang it on the bay and buy an e8500 tbh, as at its current price there is no way its worth the extra over an e8500, imo, especially considering the 84/8500 e0 steppings will be filtering through in the coming months.

BTW mine is meant to be one of the better clockers from the week 22 batch. :rolleyes: Disappointing tbh.

Associate
It's also pretty frustrating that it clocks as high as 4.7ghz on 1.35, but point blank refuses to pass 16 mins of prime at 4.3ghz on up to 1.5v. Maybe I'm just being greedy...

Associate
lo i just got a e8600 not overclocked and the core voltage is 1.504v in cpuz is this good or bad should i change the voltage .cheers singo

VTR

VTR

Soldato
Bizarre, your chip sounds about the same as mine; stable at 4.2Ghz at 1.32v (is that 1.32v CPUID?)

Seems stable so far at 4.3Ghz with 1.34v but only been running Intel Burn test, not primed it yet.

I too was hoping for 4.4-4.5Ghz+ but doesn't look like it'll go that far (stable anyway), don't want too increase the volts much more for 24/7 use.

Associate
Bizarre, your chip sounds about the same as mine; stable at 4.2Ghz at 1.32v (is that 1.32v CPUID?)

Seems stable so far at 4.3Ghz with 1.34v but only been running Intel Burn test, not primed it yet.

I too was hoping for 4.4-4.5Ghz+ but doesn't look like it'll go that far (stable anyway), don't want too increase the volts much more for 24/7 use.

I'm running at 4.5ghz primestable with 1.4875 in BIOS........Is that gonna be OK for long term use?

VTR

VTR

Soldato
I'm running at 4.5ghz primestable with 1.4875 in BIOS........Is that gonna be OK for long term use?

Check with CPUID what the actual voltage is, 1.4875v bios may well be a lot lower actual voltage - personally I'd try and keep it under 1.4v, seems to be varying opinions on what is a safe voltage on these chips at the moment. Most people are saying keep under 1.45v max, some are saying 1.4v max and others are saying aslong as temps are fine and you dont raise the PLL voltage your Ok with higher.

What week/batch is your chip btw?

Associate
OP
to be fair any CPU is good if it can do 4Ghz on air, but to judge weither it is worth the £176 is of personal opinion.

Buy no means am i sore that i got a bad chip out of a possible 'good week 22', as it is a part of the game for us overclockers. At least that is how i think after all these years.

I agree with Bizarre, that xs threads got everyones hopes up, I would admit to that, just remember that forum is more worldwide/US based. OCuk's forum is probally best UK based community for overclockers and they should be commended for it.

Associate
Check with CPUID what the actual voltage is, 1.4875v bios may well be a lot lower actual voltage - personally I'd try and keep it under 1.4v, seems to be varying opinions on what is a safe voltage on these chips at the moment. Most people are saying keep under 1.45v max, some are saying 1.4v max and others are saying aslong as temps are fine and you dont raise the PLL voltage your Ok with higher.

What week/batch is your chip btw?

My windows load is 1.48v......I get hardly any vdroop since i pencil modded my 680i :D

My batch is the same as the OP.....pack date 07/24/08
week 20

Associate
lo i just got a e8600 not overclocked and the core voltage is 1.504v in cpuz is this good or bad should i change the voltage .cheers singo

Thats gotta be wrong....

Have u got the latest version of CPUz??

& if u have the 1st thing i would do would be clear the CMOS as perhaps the BIOS has not recognised the chip properly

Associate
I have a week 20 Q820A750 pack date 07/24/08.
Will be using custom phase change cooling (-60c) and an Biostar IP45, I will let you know how I get on soon.

Back
Top Bottom