Economic cars

Soldato
Tip for izzy_ecclescake - not everyone on the roads is trying to race you and everytime you pull away ahead of another car it isn't a "win". Oh and you son probably doesn't think you are Jay Kay with your car choice ;) Sorry to disappoint :p

oh and 7.9s to 60 YEAH BABY EAT MY EXHAUST FUMES ECO BOY!!!!1 or something to that effect.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just though of something.

If they put 1.5/1.6 diesel engines in these eco cars like the BMW 3 series.

Why can't they put them in smaller, lighter cars?

Surely requires less stamping on the accelerator and will have better performance?

Soldato
Sub 10 seconds is not bad for what the car is. Its faster than what most traffic pulls away at.

What on earth is the relevance of that? Traffic doesn't tend to pull away flat out. In fact you often get someone in a Prius who moves so slowly that three cars get through before the next red...

The Prius simply isn't fast whichever way you look at it. It has useful amount of acceleration for it's purpose, quicker than small engined shopping cars etc. but it is in absolutely no way a performance car, in the same way a bottom of the range diesel Mondeo isn't a performance car. To think or claim otherwise is simply delusion.

Soldato
After years driving a 68bhp Fabia, a MK3 Prius felt pretty quick.

If you're booting it in a Prius, you're kind of missing the point though. Foot flat to the floor at every set of lights is not going to get you 65mpg...

Soldato
Man of Honour
Soldato
To be fair, I remember describing the Fabia vRS as "brutally quick" or similar. Now, having owned my Leon for 18 months, it certainly was not, and neither is the current car.

My 0-60 is 8 seconds, and i'd call it "brisk", but it's not "fast" by any stretch of the imagination.

Our Fabia claims 11.1s to 60 on Parkers and it's about barely competent on the road. Enough power to get you around but not enough for even the most basic of overtakes.

Either way, playing traffic light GP is surely missing the point of a Prius?

Associate
If you're booting it in a Prius, you're kind of missing the point though. Foot flat to the floor at every set of lights is not going to get you 65mpg...

No but every now & again you feel the need to show some disbelievers that the car can actually shift when it needs to,:)

Nobody on here can understands the transmission works because of the misuse of the word CTV. There are no belts, no clutch, no gears in the normal sense just an ingenious sun & planets system that gives the smoothest auto ever invented

When you floor it it goes from 0 -80 or whatever without any hesitations or whatever so while Mondeo man is flooring the clutch in & out thru the gears Prius man just sits there in comfort watching him in the rear view mirror :p:p

Man of Honour
No but every now & again you feel the need to show some disbelievers that the car can actually shift when it needs to,:)

You really beleive this stuff?

Nobody on here can understands the transmission works because of the misuse of the word CTV.

Do you mean 'CVT'? I think most of us know what a CVT is. Except you, it would seem. I beleive 'CTV' is a childrens television programme perhaps?

the smoothest auto ever invented

Erm what?

When you floor it it goes from 0 -80 or whatever without any hesitations or whatever so while Mondeo man is flooring the clutch in & out thru the gears Prius man just sits there in comfort watching him in the rear view mirror :p:p

This is getting cringeworthingly bad.

Soldato
OP
My Megane does go very good for a big car. Very nippy but that is not a biggy as far as i am concerned.

Pity some of you are hung up on 0-60 and owning a street cred car.

At 47 all i want is an economical car.

Soldato
I would point out that the Prius has been clocked at 0-60 - 8.8 seconds as read on the Toyota owners forum

A highly independent and objective appraisal to be found of a Toyota on a Toyota owners forum no doubt.

As read on a VW Golf owners forum, my car could do a sub 6 second 0-60 with just a remap but that doesn't make it anything less than complete fantasy :p

Man of Honour
Pity some of you are hung up on 0-60 and owning a street cred car.

We are not hung up on 0-60 at all, nobody criticises the performance of a diesel Mondeo, we are specifically debating with somebody who claimed the Prius had 'excellent' performance.

At 47 all i want is an economical car.

You already have one, so if that really is all you want, keep it.

Back
Top Bottom