*** Elden Ring ***

a big chunk of the series' identity and it just wouldn't be enjoyable if it was easier because all those secrets, builds, lore and atmosphere don't work if it's not challenging

Again. Enjoyable for you. You're saying for yourself it wouldn't be enjoyable, that's why others can't have a different optional mode, that would be enjoyable for them. Weird

Man of Honour
It's an odd position to take.

Not as odd as just not accepting that the Devs chose to make this game in the same manner as all their other titles and that was their vision. I do wish that gamers would stop trying to change a devs vision of their own game, I simply cannot tell you just how many MMOs have been absolutely ruined by players doing that.

Man of Honour
Again. Enjoyable for you. You're saying for yourself it wouldn't be enjoyable, that's why others can't have a different optional mode, that would be enjoyable for them. Weird

Because, and I dont know how many times this has to be said, thats not how the devs wanted to make the game. If that was indeed part of the devs vision for the game then dont you think they would have done it? Its not like they are new to the Souls genre (considering of course that its a genre they created, over a decade ago) Whats equally weird is that you just cant accept that and move on. Its not going to get difficulty options, thats all there is to it. You can ask for it over and over here, ask why not over and over here, its not going to do the blindest bit of difference. From Software do not do difficulty options in their games, its as much their USP as Tile based turn based gameplay is for the Civilisation series. Just like I have done with many games in the past, just knock it up as not one for you and move on. You cant change it no matter how much you say it.

Soldato
The actual story in Elden Ring is one of its weakest points. A story mode would be so boring, why not just watch a play through on youtube in that situation? Making the game so easy that you literally need to press one button to kill every boss or enemy encounter would remove about 80% of what makes the game stand out in the first place.

Soldato
doesn't make sense. they want it played, in a way that a huge amount of people can't play it.

Makes perfect sense. They want it played in a way that a huge amount of people ARE playing it.

We don't need every game to be turned into a the same grey sludge for everyone to enjoy.
I'm not a FromSoft extremist, with this being the first of their games I've got into, I can easily see it being a worse experience if I had the option to make it easier. There's a lot of things I've thought I'd not be able to do, but persistence pays off. Setting it to easy and beating by default would be a far worse way to do it, and I'd have probably picked it at points.
I don't enjoy FIFA, should EA change the game to add a racing/turn based section, and a fun sub-game so that I can?

The gay marriage arguement earlier was a horrendous comparison. :cry:

Man of Honour
The actual story in Elden Ring is one of its weakest points. A story mode would be so boring, why not just watch a play through on youtube in that situation? Making the game so easy that you literally need to press one button to kill every boss or enemy encounter would remove about 80% of what makes the game stand out in the first place.

True, the story is there but its a bit difficult to find and at times its over-convoluted and hard to grasp, which arent great qualities for a new IP. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a world created by the combined minds of Willy Wonka and Tim Burton :D

Soldato
True, the story is there but its a bit difficult to find and at times its over-convoluted and hard to grasp, which arent great qualities for a new IP. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a world created by the combined minds of Willy Wonka and Tim Burton :D

It's a pretty basic power fantasy, become the chosen one kind of story. Nothing wrong with that but it's been done over and over. There is definitely interesting lore to pick apart from the items but I actually think it's hard to tell a great story when the world is almost frozen in time. There are no villagers going about their normal existence. It's a world in which the enemies are stuck a cycle of just killing what is in-front of them.

If they could nail the story telling that Witcher 3 gave us but with the combat / exploration that Elden Ring provides, it would be the best RPG ever released.

easy that you literally need to press one button to kill every boss or enemy.

OK... Not sure if anyone is supposed to respond to this so will just leave it for now, unless you wish to add anything in response to something that was actually said?

I can easily see it being a worse experience if I had the option to make it easier

Again, you need to add, it'd be a worse experience for you. That's why you don't want others to have the optional feature being asked for. Because it'd be a worse experience, for you. Not for them thar want it, but for you.

If they could nail the story telling that Witcher 3 gave us but with the combat / exploration that Elden Ring provides, it would be the best RPG ever released
Indeed. The exploration alone is something I've not seen in a game in a long time. The videos I watched, it was just amazing how huge some places were with so many secrets. That first castle in particular just blew me away

It is why a conversation log would go a long way. You chat to an npc, go on holiday, come back, and good luck remembering what was said and who you spoke. I hate skyrims map marker system with a passion and wish they'd go back to morrowinds style of just describing the path/area you have to go, but at least skyrims has something to keep track of what has happened. Sorry I know we aren't allowed to ask skyrim to be different as that's not what the devs intended.

Man of Honour
Sorry I know we aren't allowed to ask skyrim to be different as that's not what the devs intended.

Come come now Apex, you're better than that level of sarcasm.

A log would be a decent extra but the lack of it doesnt bother me greatly, I have a pen and paper next to my keyboard and record stuff on there so that I dont lose track, kind of makes me nostalgic, I remember one of my first ever RPGs on computer was The Bards Tale and I used to keep a notepad next to me for keeping track of quests and npcs and for drawing maps. So I've got a little bit of memberberries from my Elden Ring pen and paper :D

Soldato
Again, you need to add, it'd be a worse experience for you. That's why you don't want others to have the optional feature being asked for. Because it'd be a worse experience, for you. Not for them thar want it, but for you.

There are many other options for people who don't want this style of game.
Conversation log would also take away some of what makes this game great (imo). It sounds like you want a Ubisoft style open world, this is basically every other open world game at this stage.

Soldato
Sorry, Apex, but we're just on different pages here. I won't quote the responses because you conveniently left out parts of my post to make it seem like you have a better point.

Again, there are games/genres that do not have certain options. What's wrong with that? Why can't you just accept a simple fact that there are things in the world that were made with a specific audience in mind? I can and I move on. "Oh, I like this car sim but I'd really like it if the cars controlled like in NFS. The devs should add options to cater to everyone, must be simple and won't affect anyone else". "This roguelike is so cool but why do I have to start from the beginning when I die? They should switch genres and make the game into what it isn't so that I can play it." Seems to me that you want to homogenise every game into a Ubisift title.

And don't get me started with this "enjoyable for you". As Ive said, a vocal MINORITY always asks for easy mode ans they're always ignored for a reason. How do I not want others to enjoy the game? It's From who stick to this formula with each new game. Why do they do it? Because they don't want you to have fun? Or maybe they have their own vision as to how the game was meant to be played? Again, maybe the difficulty is just a part of the core package and has a huge impact on the perception of the gameworld? Maybe it's meant to ellicit a certain reaction from you? We didn't ask for this, yet the vast majority are doing just fine, that's what the guys have been telling you. The games haven't become so popular because only a select group of superhuman players can play them.

Also, how do you know you'd enjoy the game if it was easier? Maybe you'd get bored of it even quicker? Do you really think you'd have so much fun in this with nothing at stake and all those great places you'd work your way through would be just a backdrop and bosses a mere distraction? The game would have to be completely rebalanced for easy mode to give even a semblance of what it feels to play a From title.

I'll ask again, how do you design a world that's supposed to be cryptic, imposing and make you second-guess approaches or be afraid of bosses if a portion of the playerbase can just skip the defining features of the game, something From worked for years to establish?

You said "those of us who have a life" or something like that. It did look like a little stab, as if only people who invest lots of time into Souls can play it, which is just not true. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, not a native English speaker, sorry.

Anyways, all of this is just beating a dead horse. The game won't get easy mode, not because elitists don't want others to enjoy the game but because it's been designed with a certain difficulty curve in mind and a certain identity, something that From apparently doesn't want to give up on and I suspect they have their reasons.

Soldato
This was my first souls game and I just finished Journey 2, played with keyboard and mouse from the start as I’m rubbish with a pad.
First play through was mostly dragon incantations and bleed. Which with rot breath made most things that were susceptible a little trivial.
Second journey I went full 80 points in dex, 60 vigor dual keen katana / Hand of Malenia, all the dex attack bleed trinkets and didn’t cast anything. Was a lot more difficult having to get stuck in melee range all the time but could still melt bosses with combo successive attacks.
I’m now level 230 odd and don’t know if I should start a new character or keep going new journey until it gets really difficult.
Want to try a strength or int build to test out some of the weapons and spells I’ve collected but not equipped yet.

What are others doing?

Man of Honour
This was my first souls game and I just finished Journey 2, played with keyboard and mouse from the start as I’m rubbish with a pad.
First play through was mostly dragon incantations and bleed. Which with rot breath made most things that were susceptible a little trivial.
Second journey I went full 80 points in dex, 60 vigor dual keen katana / Hand of Malenia, all the dex attack bleed trinkets and didn’t cast anything. Was a lot more difficult having to get stuck in melee range all the time but could still melt bosses with combo successive attacks.
I’m now level 230 odd and don’t know if I should start a new character or keep going new journey until it gets really difficult.
Want to try a strength or int build to test out some of the weapons and spells I’ve collected but not equipped yet.

What are others doing?

I too am on mouse and keyboard, I've got 3 characters on the go, a sword and board tank type, a dual claw wielding Wolverine dex character and a pure mage type. All 3 of them have just reached the mountain of the giants. I've dispatched all the bosses so far, even though I am on M&K, though my pure mage did have a lot of trouble with Mogritt before I finally dropped him. (the pure mage has been quite a troublesome character to play due to the severely broken lock on target mechanic)

I have collected SO many items which require Faith that I am now considering creating a 4th character, one focusing on high Faith, something like a Templar type

Soldato
I too am on mouse and keyboard, I've got 3 characters on the go, a sword and board tank type, a dual claw wielding Wolverine dex character and a pure mage type. All 3 of them have just reached the mountain of the giants. I've dispatched all the bosses so far, even though I am on M&K, though my pure mage did have a lot of trouble with Mogritt before I finally dropped him. (the pure mage has been quite a troublesome character to play due to the severely broken lock on target mechanic)

I have collected SO many items which require Faith that I am now considering creating a 4th character, one focusing on high Faith, something like a Templar type

Faith / Arcane with the dragon communion seal was great fun and you can still melee with a blood or occult ash of war weapon mod.

Back
Top Bottom