*** Elden Ring ***

Associate
Damn, this sucks, I wanted to try story bosses before any nerfs, I guess that's what I get for being a month late to the party:/

The fight did have some genuine issues that needed addressing like the weapon hitbox being too big. They sorted that but they also reduced his attacks damage, and how strongly his projectile attacks homed in. Its a really easy fight now because of this.

Soldato
The best thing is I'm very early into the game and have already discovered many great locations.

Trust me, every time you think you've just discovered the most amazing location, you'll open up another part of the map you didn't even know was there and its even better!

And that's without the legacy dungeons, which are some of the best areas From has made imo.

Soldato
Trust me, every time you think you've just discovered the most amazing location, you'll open up another part of the map you didn't even know was there and its even better!

And that's without the legacy dungeons, which are some of the best areas From has made imo.

Yeah, I've heard that's how it goes, which is great:)
Such a well-designed world so far overall, really encourages exploration and makes you actually pay attention instead of following markers. I also like the verticality and traversal just feels good.

I haven't even touched Stormveil yet, just fooled around Limgrave for 10h:p

I'm also glad the trademark cryptic characters and questlines are there in spades but I understand why ColdAsIce suggested that a small log would be a good idea.
From quests work well within the framework of previous games but might be a bit too much too swallow here because I reckon many of them will require some pretty obscure steps. You're not supposed to discover everything but many players will want to do as much possible in a single playthrough. I don't mind, having to make notes myself is going to be a breath of fresh air but I get it:p

Associate
I'm also glad the trademark cryptic characters and questlines are there in spades but I understand why ColdAsIce suggested that a small log would be a good idea.
From quests work well within the framework of previous games but might be a bit too much too swallow here because I reckon many of them will require some pretty obscure steps. You're not supposed to discover everything but many players will want to do as much possible in a single playthrough. I don't mind, having to make notes myself is going to be a breath of fresh air but I get it:p

I think a portion of it is how we've been "trained" to play open world games - run around, talk to everyone, try to find everything, and just so happen to work through quest stages on the way. I think the quests in the game are much more enjoyable if you focus on one or two quests at a time as far as possible.

Soldato
I think a portion of it is how we've been "trained" to play open world games - run around, talk to everyone, try to find everything, and just so happen to work through quest stages on the way. I think the quests in the game are much more enjoyable if you focus on one or two quests at a time as far as possible.

Yeah, open world games are some of the dullest around nowadays due to the above. I can't really remember an open world game in recent years where I truly focused on the environment itself during traversal and wanted to go everywhere myself, I think BoTW with it's absolute freedom and lack of hand holding was the only one (though it wasn't my favourite title of recent years, just talking about the open world aspect). Maybe AC Origins as well because of the utterly magical setting and RDR2 because I felt so immersed in the game's environment and the level of interaction.

What's here is not revolutionary, it just works damn well. From not only seems to understand open worlds better than most devs but their approach to the concept also flows naturally with their gameplay formula. The reason why I've said I'm not bothered by the quest design, even though some people might be, is that you're never required to do stuff, you can wander off and stumble upon quests that you may or may not be able to complete but you're never penalised for the latter. You miss out on things but your experience still feels complete and the best thing is, it'll be different from other player's experience. It's not really a single playthrough game but it can be if you want it to.
That's why I'm ok with missing stuff. Just go with the flow and enjoy the journey is the right approach here.

I still remember the steps you had to do to get the "best" ending in Sekiro:D

Associate
Its 37 quid on cd keys and activates on Steam just like as if you bought it on there, if it's your kind of game then it's worth every penny, very refreshing to see a developer pour their heart and soul into making such a great title and not shoehorn the crappy loot boxes in etc. Just look at EA for example, it's becoming a rare thing that such quality is released sadly.

£37 is more like it but generally wait till their half price on Steam, have so many game's that have not started playing yet I'm about two or three year's behind.
Got Dyling light ll for free yesterday after buying a Samsung M.2 SSD, and bought two game's last week,RDR2 ,RE Village both heavily discounted.

Will buy Elden Ring later for the challenge probably use a joypad though normally use keyboard and mouse.

Last edited:
Associate
So, ive NEVER played a souls game as the difficulty really put me off, i may not of found it that bad but in my old age i dont like games that are frustratingly hard and the comments from most people implied the souls games were just that.

Is eldern ring a really hard game? or is it just challenging but fun? i kinda want to try it but worry the difficulty level may put me off and it will be money wasted, my bro has it and said he hated it for the first 3hrs, but now he rekons its the
best game hes ever played 8 hrs in lol, i just dont know what to do.

Soldato
Unlike previous Dark Souls games you're not forced down a linear path. It's open world. Just imagine DOOM vs Skyrim. It can be challenging but that's the point. There's not much hand holding and you're free to explore as you wish. There's no hollowing so if you die you don't lose a chunk of your HP, but you do lose runes. They can be regathered the first time after you die so if you die again after losing them they are gone for good.

Say you walk into an area and find "Boss A". You're going to fail for the first few tries, so off you go gathering runes, looking for armour, level up etc. Then you return to the area and try again once you're better equipped.

ne0

ne0

Associate
Is eldern ring a really hard game?

Yes. Don't listen to anyone that tells you otherwise. You will die over and over again and will be forced to use the stuff between your ears A LOT and play as if your real life depends on it.

Associate
Give it a go, it's worth the risk
In my older age i HATE frustratingly hard games or games that are too much of a challenge, or even games that make me feel tense lol i just like a easyish experience with a good story when it comes to single player games and rpgs nowa days,

My hardcore gaming days are long gone, this sounds like a hardcore game lol

Soldato
In my older age i HATE frustratingly hard games or games that are too much of a challenge, or even games that make me feel tense lol i just like a easyish experience with a good story when it comes to single player games and rpgs nowa days,

It not hardcore like you have to play it everyday without fail to become some sort of sweat pro gamer. You just have to get into it a bit and try and follow the lore, invest a bit of grinding to get somewhere and learn a few moves from the bosses to defeat them. It's investing but worth it. Like the other souls games.

It's popular for a reason you know

it is definetly hardcore, if this isn't hardcore, what the hell is?

and on top, there's no quest log. though the story is much less than say skyrim, it is still a problem for those who don't have constant days and hours to continually play the game. play the game 2 hours one eve, more very little, have various tasks to do in your own life, come back 1/2 weeks later, you'll have nothing to tell you what to do. zero log.

my advice, find a youtuber that's done a play through and watch that. i watched otzdarva play it in the end as the game wasn't for me, and enjoyed seeing him explore at the start of the game. towards the half way point i was losing interest, the game required too many hours of exploring and repeated attempts to do one thing, that i ended up skipping lots of the video to get to the end of the boss fights.

certainly an amazingly great game, but definitely not for anyone looking for a game that has any remote sense of being casual.

really From should have made this game have difficultly settings. there's no good reason why they should not cater to those that just don't have the time that hardcore difficutly requires.

wh

Man of Honour
really From should have made this game have difficultly settings. there's no good reason why they should not cater to those that just don't have the time that hardcore difficutly requires.

wh

There is one good reason why they havent catered for those people. Its because thats not what they wanted to design. Admittedly not the reason that some people want to hear but its a reason nonetheless. I'm always for devs sticking to what they want to design, takes a certain degree of nous these days to make a game the way you want to make it. To be honest we will see similar sorts of things said when the Pantheon MMO releases for example, because Pantheon devs have largely stuck with their original vision for their game but some people will ask why it has to have xp loss on death, no quest markers over NPC heads and no minimap etc.

I'd like to see more game devs sticking to their own vision for the games they create, even if it does mean that those games might be somewhat more niche. Not every game has to appeal to everyone, in fact I'd even go so far as to say that trying to make every title appeal to everyone would actually be detrimental to games (and indeed gamers) in the long run

Associate
it is definetly hardcore, if this isn't hardcore, what the hell is?

and on top, there's no quest log. though the story is much less than say skyrim, it is still a problem for those who don't have constant days and hours to continually play the game. play the game 2 hours one eve, more very little, have various tasks to do in your own life, come back 1/2 weeks later, you'll have nothing to tell you what to do. zero log.

my advice, find a youtuber that's done a play through and watch that. i watched otzdarva play it in the end as the game wasn't for me, and enjoyed seeing him explore at the start of the game. towards the half way point i was losing interest, the game required too many hours of exploring and repeated attempts to do one thing, that i ended up skipping lots of the video to get to the end of the boss fights.

certainly an amazingly great game, but definitely not for anyone looking for a game that has any remote sense of being casual.

wh
Yeah i have watched a few vids of it and looks hardcore to me lol i HATE nothing more than repeatedly dying over and over again, plus not having a log or a map and way point markers for each mission is a MASSIVE no for me, i would call it a flaw in game design for a massive
open world game, i hated it in zelda breath of the wild as well.

Yep i will give it a miss i think, thanks for input people

Soldato
Thing is you can leg it from most enemies if your finding it over hard. It's a good tactic fight or flight. Come back later when your harder. Map wise you just pick it up as they are lying around the area. So it's not too bewildering really. I don't think it's over hard really and you can use a ton of resources to help you out like calling in other players to help you in game including npcs and spirit ashes ect. Some of the harder enemies from when I first started playing I can take out easily now because I have learned there rythems. I wouldn't class myself as a hard-core or very good gamer but I'm finding this much easier or better than say bloodbourne. Just take your time and enjoy it. Well worth the £36 I bought it for.

Associate
Thing is you can leg it from most enemies if your finding it over hard. It's a good tactic fight or flight. Come back later when your harder. Map wise you just pick it up as they are lying around the area. So it's not too bewildering really. I don't think it's over hard really and you can use a ton of resources to help you out like calling in other players to help you in game including npcs and spirit ashes ect. Some of the harder enemies from when I first started playing I can take out easily now because I have learned there rythems. I wouldn't class myself as a hard-core or very good gamer but I'm finding this much easier or better than say bloodbourne. Just take your time and enjoy it. Well worth the £36 I bought it for.
Just dont think i will be able to play it for long without getting mega stressed lol my bro absolutely HATED the game for the first 2/3 hrs, now 10hrs in hes loving it and trying to convince me to buy it,problem is im not the type to
play for a frustrating 2/3hrs to see if i end up liking it, if i hate it for the first hr or so then its a uninstall for me lol

My bro now thinks its one of the greatest games of all time haha nah mate, dont think its for me lol :)

Soldato
There is one good reason why they havent catered for those people. Its because thats not what they wanted to design. Admittedly not the reason that some people want to hear but its a reason nonetheless. I'm always for devs sticking to what they want to design, takes a certain degree of nous these days to make a game the way you want to make it. To be honest we will see similar sorts of things said when the Pantheon MMO releases for example, because Pantheon devs have largely stuck with their original vision for their game but some people will ask why it has to have xp loss on death, no quest markers over NPC heads and no minimap etc.

I'd like to see more game devs sticking to their own vision for the games they create, even if it does mean that those games might be somewhat more niche. Not every game has to appeal to everyone, in fact I'd even go so far as to say that trying to make every title appeal to everyone would actually be detrimental to games (and indeed gamers) in the long run

Exactly this. There's absolutely no reason why they should've catered to anyone when these games have always been like that, it's their trademark and pretty much everyone knows what they're getting into.

I don't get why people think every game has to appeal to everyone. Even if I wasn't a From fan, I'd never want their games to change just so that I could have an easier time. I could just play something that's more for me, happened plenty of times and I simply moved on.

Plus, I wouldn't call From games hardcore. They're hardcore when compared to braindead AAA stuff but in reality thery're just challenging. There's that myth around them that you have to be a complete sweatlord playing 24/7 and never making mistakes.

I mentioned fighting games before, they deserve the "hardcore" status. Learning proper movement alone in Tekken will take you more time than finishing every From game in existence a couple of times over and you'll still suck in the grand scheme of things. And that's just one aspect.

My first From game was Bloodborne and I started as a complete noob, it was somewhat painful for the first hour but then you get used to the style and learn. It's now one of my favourite games, better than Elden Ring still and I wonder if that'll change after I finish it.

Back
Top Bottom