*** Elden Ring ***

Associate
Just looked at my steam account and i havent touched ER for nearly 2 years :eek: but have 500 hrs in the game:D

I really want to get back into this but im having too much fun in Baldurs Gate 3, i dont think ill play the dlc for a while yet.
Probably not a bad idea ... I tried the DLC for the first time this morning and, in my opinion, it desperately needs some re-rebalancing. At the moment, bosses are way overtuned ( bloated health pools and will kill you in 2-3 hits ). I recall Fromsoft reducing the difficulty of some of the bosses in the original game a few months after launch, so there is a predecent for them adjusting the game if the community are upset !

Soldato
Has anyone managed to get this DLSS/ upscaling mod working on the new game version, or any version for that matter? The comments section makes it sound like it's all over the place but I'm going to try it when I get a chance....

Last edited:
Soldato
Started a new character yesterday as my astrologer seemed a bit easy and boring as I got him to level 50.
Playing as a samurai currently level 20, managed to find a long reaching katana but don't quite have enough strength to use it so I'm levelling that up so I can use it.
Any beginner advice on this game as I'm struggling on these little stone gargoyles but seems okay on the dungeon bosses lol what am I doing wrong?
Bought dlc but no intention of getting there any time soon.

Soldato
Started a new character yesterday as my astrologer seemed a bit easy and boring as I got him to level 50.
Playing as a samurai currently level 20, managed to find a long reaching katana but don't quite have enough strength to use it so I'm levelling that up so I can use it.
Any beginner advice on this game as I'm struggling on these little stone gargoyles but seems okay on the dungeon bosses lol what am I doing wrong?
Check the wiki, it's really helpful from the builds - https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Builds#samurai - to the game progression walkthrough - https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Game+Progress+Route

I use it loosely when I get stuck or find myself wandering aimlessly.

Soldato
My starter tip would be use a shield. Block the first attack and counter it with the heavy attack button.

Soldato
Associate
Not played Elden Ring for a good year and a half, would love to jump back into it but I really don't know if I can stand the amount of times I would die, getting old sucks, lol.

Anyone know if the DLC weapons are can be gotten from the base game if starting a new playthrough or are they only obtainable in the DLC area?

Associate
Doubtful, I imagine the new weapons and armours are tied to the new zone. Dying and learning new strategies is part of the fun of Elden Ring and the DLC, I imagine after the first dozen deaths or so you'll start to get used to the pace of the game, realise how bad you truly are at gaming and "git gud" :cool:.

Soldato
Not played Elden Ring for a good year and a half, would love to jump back into it but I really don't know if I can stand the amount of times I would die, getting old sucks, lol.

Anyone know if the DLC weapons are can be gotten from the base game if starting a new playthrough or are they only obtainable in the DLC area?
Only obtainable in the dlc map.

Associate
And I'm done for now, I still have a few caves/dungeons marked to explore and areas of the map that I kind of neglected to explore fully so maybe even more to find, but I think I've seen all the big bosses at this point.

I really enjoyed the DLC, there were a couple of hiccups along the way in terms of difficulty spikes, changing my build and exploring more seemed to alleviate the issues, but I get why people are frustrated as the spikes are very sudden and demoralising. It was a lot less densely packed with things to do than the main game, but visually it's a treat and they really nailed the focus on building atmosphere over bloating it with copy paste content. Playing through the the main game again along with the DLC feels like quite a daunting prospect in the future.

A few thoughts on the journey:

I found the dungeons all pretty straightforward, the Dark moon greatsword ripped through everything. The Divine Beast I did in a couple of tries, Rellana the same, the Hippo at Shadow keep then started alarm bells with the amount of damage they gave out. Bayle was near enough one shotting me but I figured that he was more of an end game kind of fight to return to later. Messmer was the one that then forced me to really rethink how I was playing and what items I was using, I took time away from him to explore more and find as many upgrades as I could, I actually ended up going through the ancient ruins first and killing Romina. That was a good fight, maybe one of the best. I then looped around the map a little and found my way south down all of the graves to St Trina, the knight there was pretty easy once I remembered I could jump to dodge all of his ground effects. I got absolutely stumped on that questline and only figured out what needed to be done by putting together some of the message people had left, same for opening the passage to the north as well.

I then went back to Messmer with a few extra upgrades and gear changes and had him down after another few tries, a bit too much going on visually but once you started to get his patterns down he was a really fun fight. I started getting bored of the Dark moon sword so I respecced into faith, tried the spear from him and loved it, I committed to that for the rest of the run. The weapon skill does crazy damage if you can avoid the hits and line things up properly, being able to throw the spear with the heavy attack feels great as well. I then mopped up some of the little side quests like the mother of fingers stuff and NPCs and their tasks.

I proceeded to endgame and absolutely loved the big NPC royal rumble at the end, it was way more epic than it deserved to be and was a real back and forth battle for me. Then onto the final boss.... I sat there after trying for a good solid hour or two just thinking oh no, what can I possibly do or change at this point. I got better at the first phase but the second phase is just bonkers at times, again way too much going on visually. I'm sure there's some near unavoidable attacks in there as well just to add to the frustration. I got him down to less than 5% and he did the grab move that charms you and insta kills, needed to take time away after that :cry:.

Later on after another load of attempts the perfect run just lined up, first phase attack patterns were super kind and I went into phase 2 with more flasks than ever before, I managed to hit a big stagger and do some nice damage quickly and again the attack patterns landed very nice for me, enough for me to just squeeze through. I can see so many people giving up at this point, the NPC summons were good for taking some aggro but the health pool of the boss became so massive that phase 2 was practically impossible for me, co-op is going to be super tough on that one.

Quite a few interesting looking weapons and spells, but given how far along some of them are I have to wonder how useful some of them might actually be in the long run.

Soldato
I'm just enjoying a new playthrough. I skipped so much stuff the first time around. Not a chance I could play this without rune farming and all the crutches like ashes etc.

Associate
Has anyone managed to get this DLSS/ upscaling mod working on the new game version, or any version for that matter? The comments section makes it sound like it's all over the place but I'm going to try it when I get a chance....

I didn't know this was a thing. Seems to work very well for me. It let me try out RT on a 3080 and get playable frame rates. Not sure if it does anything but there's a supposed stutter fix that was updated for the new release. A shame about all mods killing online play though.

Soldato
I've put about 6 hours into the DLC over the weekend - WOW, just WOW. There is so much to explore! It's probably mountaintops / haligtree level enemies for most of it and so far haven't got to any major bosses but have been spanked by a few of the optional ones (and eventually beat them).

Curently working out if I should respec as I'm essentially a pure Intelligence build atm to maximise the moonlight great sword, maybe a strength / dex build?

Soldato
I’ve never been a big fan of Elden Ring and have been quite critical of it because I prefer more story driven RPGs, with more lived in worlds (towns and villages with many interactions etc). Though I do love the combat and have beaten the game a few times now.

It seems strange I would score a game 7/10 yet beat it a few times. Almost paradoxically I can score a game highly but only complete it once.

I think the key to Elden Ring for me is the highly addictive combat mechanics. Simple but effective and none of the crap button combos and QTEs you get in other games.

So I will enjoy the DLC I think, despite the story and RPG like experience being almost certainly lacking for me.

Associate
So I will enjoy the DLC I think, despite the story and RPG like experience being almost certainly lacking for me.

I keep getting "lost" as I disappear off having found/seen something, and deviate from the very loose story. Ranni seems to be the only one that I've followed...ish
Only now have I got to Consecrated Snowfields, having defeated Commander Niall in 2022, and again recently - not NG+ but some wierd save bug I guess.

Holding off DLC, until my inner magpie is content enough shiny things have been discovered in ER! Will be soon though.

Back
Top Bottom