Elite:Dangerous

Soldato
In configuration look for "Reset HMD Orientation", the common key binding (and I think the default) is F12, another option is press the menu button on the right touch controller and on the Oculus Home pause menu choose the option to re-centre view from the icon list on the left right hand side and press button A when instructed there. Myself personally I use VoiceAttack with one of the HCS voice packs and just say "centre view" when I want to reset position ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
I just went to play this and selected the tutorial > basic flight.

For some reason I'm sitting behind the pilot chair looking at the back of it! If I try to move forward enough to be in the chair, then I get my grid showing up as I'm practically nose to the monitor.

How do I adjust that in-game?
^ this, voice attack is very useful not just for elite but any vr game where you need to use keayboard inputs.

Soldato
another option is press the menu button on the right touch controller and on the Oculus Home pause menu choose the option to re-centre view from the icon list on the left hand side and press button A when instructed there

That worked a treat.

Myself personally I use VoiceAttack with one of the HCS voice packs and just say "centre view" when I want to reset position

Where do I get the voice attack?

Associate
Surprisingly: https://voiceattack.com/
It's a purchase but it pays for itself quite quickly in Elite.
I too use a recenter headset command as it means you don't have to get your head where you want it to be reset, then try to find the key to press, moving your head in the process, thus messing up your reset position!

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
That worked a treat.

Nice one, I did correct the original post as the icon is actually on the right and not the left :o

Where do I get the voice attack?

https://voiceattack.com/

The download is a trial with a maximum of 20 commands but the purchase is one of the most worthwhile I've ever made.

Make sure you go through the Windows setups for microphone and training to recognise your voice/accent. I used to use a headset microphone but I have since converted to using the Rift's built in one which I have found more than adequate.

Also just in case you are using an Asus motherboard with Sonic Studio installed, exit Sonic Studio whilst using VoiceAttack (or even better uninstall the POS Asus software completely ;)) as it intercepts VoiceAttack and won't let it hear anything you say.

Soldato
I've been enjoying just doing the tutorials on this, but the control scheme is taking a bit of getting used to e.g. When I try to put my landing gear down I sometimes change from 1st person to 3rd person view by mistake. It takes a bit of getting used to!

Soldato
I've been enjoying just doing the tutorials on this, but the control scheme is taking a bit of getting used to e.g. When I try to put my landing gear down I sometimes change from 1st person to 3rd person view by mistake. It takes a bit of getting used to!

It's a huge learning curve. A lot of people give up because of this.

Have a Hotas and Voice attack isn't essential, but, it does make the game a hell of a lot easier to get into.

Soldato
Voice attack was randomly opening the help page in Chrome when I wasn't speaking, so I binned it. Maybe I should persevere a bit more, as I didn't realise you could have more than one word for a command?

Sounds more like you need to get your levels set properly and ensure it's only sending keybinds to the focus window and close it when not in use.

Associate
Voice attack was randomly opening the help page in Chrome when I wasn't speaking, so I binned it. Maybe I should persevere a bit more, as I didn't realise you could have more than one word for a command?
I always have more than one word commands so I don't accidentally eject a warp core by sneezing.
I also have multiple commands to do the same thing so I can shout "landing gear", or "wheels down" or "get ready to land!"

Soldato
Soldato
"Computer Landing Gear"

I also use words like 'Weapons" for all pips to weapons and then "Engines" for all pips to engines. So awesome to have it respond so quickly

Enjoy

Back
Top Bottom