Poll: Erik ten Hag Sack Watch & Next Manchester United Manager?

To sack or not to sack

• Total voters
Soldato
I think the nature of the win against City makes a reasonable case to keep him. With a pretty much first choice XI we finally outplayed a top team and executed a plan and everyone looked like they knew what they were doing.

The problem is his tactics and decision making when those players are available is questionable. Persisting with Casemiro cost us a heap of points alone.

I honestly don't care either way though. There was enough potential on show Saturday to think maybe he'll get that squad of youngsters competitive next season, with a few additions. Equally, a new manager may do the same. Neither option is more likely than the other to get regular performances out of the squad.

Caporegime
I’d give EtH another season to prove himself, even though like most I’ve been mystified by some of his substitutions. His transfers have been dire, and only because of injuries and sheer desperation, Mainoo was given a chance.
There’s nothing I like about EtH at the moment, but I still think he should stay and show what can be done with a fit squad.
Mainoo who he was using preseason? It's pretty clear he intended to use him this season, it was nothing to do with injuries.

Don
Look at who has voted though, it's pretty obvious there are rival fans who want to see him stay because they consider us to be weaker with him as the manager. It's a pretty pointless poll.
Hence the reason why I created the poll so you can see who has voted which way.

I'm not 100% sure who everybody supports but from the ones I know who support Utd, it's 5-2 in favour of him staying.

Soldato
Oh my days..

Anyways more back on topic.

With regard if ETH was going to get the boot. I think it would have happened yesterday.

So if it doesn't happen by the end of the week I figure he will stay.

Man of Honour
OP
I'm not so sure about that, they'd want to let the dust settle on the cup win (as good sources have mentioned).

If INEOS have changed their mind solely on the back of that game, we are in trouble. A cup run doesn't really show anything, as good as it was.

The league should be the barometer, and we've gone spectacularly backwards, breaking every possible negative record in the process.

Soldato
I'm not so sure about that, they'd want to let the dust settle on the cup win (as good sources have mentioned).

If INEOS have changed their mind solely on the back of that game, we are in trouble. A cup run doesn't really show anything, as good as it was.

The league should be the barometer, and we've gone spectacularly backwards, breaking every possible negative record in the process.
I couldn't agree more.

Was more thinking that the season is now over and if they truly had someone lined up then they wouldn't hang about.

League form is far more important than cups, cups are great and nice to haves. But by their nature, it's not a true reflection of where the team is, the league is.

Reactions: fez
Man of Honour
My ETH stance hasn't changed in regards to his future and how bad he's been this season/second half of last season, but boy is there a whole load of **** all out there in terms of options. Chelsea's appointment has really highlighted that

Soldato
On the balance of things, I believe he should go. We finished 3rd last season, invested in the squad which he clearly had a big say in who was brought in but we've gone backwards both in terms of league table position and how disjointed we look on the pitch. I get we've had injuries, but that doesn't justify how easy it has been for other teams to play through our midfield with absolute ease.

I think INEOS does have a hard decision to make. The squad needs a big overhaul due to continual short term and poor transfer decisions, this isn't going to happen in one season and I foresee us struggling next season with the same manager and a squad that won't have enough changes. If the new structure and directors have a vision/plan on how we want to play, and what recruitment is required to underpin that, is he the manager to implement that? If he isn't, he should go now unless there's absolutely no availability of a manager that can provide what they need.

fez

fez

Caporegime
My ETH stance hasn't changed in regards to his future and how bad he's been this season/second half of last season, but boy is there a whole load of **** all out there in terms of options. Chelsea's appointment has really highlighted that

I don't know about that. I think that being a manager at the top clubs in the world is almost always a hiding to nothing. There is a reason there is a managerial merry go round at at the top level. The following teams go through managers all the time.

Barca
Bayern
RM
United
Chelsea
Dortmund

There are honestly very few top teams that have long term stable managers. Liverpool until recently but they will probably be added to the above list now. City because they have had Pep for ages but when he goes (probably after next season) they will struggle. Atletico Madrid with Simeone. Can't think of many more.

Managers last a few years these days quite often.

Soldato
I've given time for the glow of the Cup final to fade. It was flipping ace though, as was the Q/F win Vs Liverpool, before I cast my vote. I voted to sack him. Whilst squad reshaping is the immediate priority I actually think that's better done with a completely new regime.
My rationale
- 19 losses in a season
- bottom of a relatively poor CL group
- negative league goal difference
- tactically inflexible and poor substitutions
- Antony
- losing at home to Bournemouth 0-3
- generally a turgid watch
- terrible handling of the press
- roll neck sweaters

He does deserve credit for the two trophies but my gut feeling is that the squad re-engineering will be tough this window and we won't make the required progress which will leave the manager on the back door and a poor start in the league will bring us back to where we were prior to Saturday. Pressure on the manager is never conducive to building confidence in the team so regrettably i'd be inclined to deal with it now.

There are managers of repute available but they might not be around in 2 months time.

Sorry Erik. I wanted it to work and you have us some great moments but it's not enough

Soldato
I've voted keep for the reason I state earlier in the thread, the alternatives to me are worse.

I don't rate Poch or Tuchel. I'd rather have Moyes back than those two. Southgate gives me shudders. Xavi? Maybe, but again, who wants to get their hands dirty on this turd of a team with injury prone players and ones with no fight, desire or clue half the time?

Soldato
I can’t decide, so haven’t voted. I can see both sides, it’s tricky. There’s just no real talent out there that makes me go ‘Yes! Get them in!’ I’d like Poch in a way, but can see it just being more of the same. McKenna in a few year perhaps…

Soldato
What’s the point in sacking ETH when there isn’t a stand out alternative and it would cost a lot of money to get rid of him, it’s absolutely pointless and a waste of money when the club’s finances are tight. Give him the year, if he’s dire again then let him see out his contract and it won’t cost anything and the manager landscape might be better by then. Better to spend the money on improving the team

fez

fez

Caporegime
What’s the point in sacking ETH when there isn’t a stand out alternative and it would cost a lot of money to get rid of him, it’s absolutely pointless and a waste of money when the club’s finances are tight. Give him the year, if he’s dire again then let him see out his contract and it won’t cost anything and the manager landscape might be better by then. Better to spend the money on improving the team

Genuine question here but what will change in a year with regards to available managers? There are perhaps only Klopp and Pep who are guarantees of an utterly elite manager who will be very very likely to succeed. Who isn't available right now who might be in a year?

Caporegime
I couldn't agree more.

Was more thinking that the season is now over and if they truly had someone lined up then they wouldn't hang about.

League form is far more important than cups, cups are great and nice to haves. But by their nature, it's not a true reflection of where the team is, the league is.

Likewise cups are a reflection of what a team can do when their squad isn't injured. You can flip it both ways.

Back
Top Bottom