Poll: Erik ten Hag Sack Watch & Next Manchester United Manager?

To sack or not to sack

• Total voters
Soldato
Genuine question here but what will change in a year with regards to available managers? There are perhaps only Klopp and Pep who are guarantees of an utterly elite manager who will be very very likely to succeed. Who isn't available right now who might be in a year?

Who knows, a year is a long time in football but there isn’t any stand out ones now, so not much point changing just in case and having to spend money sacking another manager in a year or two. Sort out the structure (WIP) and sort out deadwood first.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Genuine question here but what will change in a year with regards to available managers? There are perhaps only Klopp and Pep who are guarantees of an utterly elite manager who will be very very likely to succeed. Who isn't available right now who might be in a year?

Exactly. Who would a 'stand out' manager even be? Pep & Klopp were considered the best. Ancelotti? Don't think that's likely.

Tuchel and Pochettino are strong alternatives, both without a club.

Caporegime
Poch is at best a sidestep with serious question marks. Tuchel would be a Conte, short term manager who falls out everywhere. Paying 10m for the privilege of either of those is a mistake.

Man of Honour
OP
Poch is at best a sidestep with serious question marks. Tuchel would be a Conte, short term manager who falls out everywhere. Paying 10m for the privilege of either of those is a mistake.

Is there a manager you would consider an obvious upgrade though? I don't think there are many great managers out there.

Most big teams are having to take a punt - that's what Arsenal did, Liverpool seem to be doing, Bayern and Chelsea too.

Caporegime
Is there a manager you would consider an obvious upgrade though? I don't think there are many great managers out there.

Most big teams are having to take a punt - that's what Arsenal did, Liverpool seem to be doing, Bayern and Chelsea too.
I'd be more interested in an 'out there' choice. Personally I'm happy with whatever the football people we've employed decide. We've been begging for this structure so I'm prepared to give whoever they decide on a shot.

Soldato
Exactly. Who would a 'stand out' manager even be? Pep & Klopp were considered the best. Ancelotti? Don't think that's likely.

Tuchel and Pochettino are strong alternatives, both without a club.

Tuchel is a known troublemaker that seemingly upsets people at every club he works at. I can imagine the team turning against him in no time knowing how the players have behaved in the past, some across multiple managers. Poch is a sideways move or arguably worse based on honours throughout their careers.

Man of Honour
OP
I'd be more interested in an 'out there' choice. Personally I'm happy with whatever the football people we've employed decide. We've been begging for this structure so I'm prepared to give whoever they decide on a shot.

I'd agree with that.

Welcome on board, Gareth. :D

• Love
Reactions: fez
Soldato
The club has gone backwards this season, no doubt about that. Even if they appoint a stand out candidate capable of moving them forward (no idea who) then its not going to fixed over one or even two seasons. If I'm a paying fan I'd likely want him gone. If I'm in charge there I'd give him another season so at least there is a semblance of stability while I set about trying to get the rest of the club in order. Voting keep.

Soldato
Pretty sure matchgoing fans are pretty overwhelmingly in support of him.
They may well be, I don't know. I think when you are emotionally and financially invested like that and build your whole week around match day then sometimes it's difficult to see things how others do. I appreciate they have high expectations but realistically, other than City and Arsenal, everyone else is miles behind and playing for 3rd and 4th place next season which to 18 teams would signify a very good season. Its likely to be pretty wide open imo, no certainty of Slot hitting the ground running and we'll see if (as I suspect) Klopp made that team greater than the sum of its parts. Chelsea could be anywhere, Spurs will be up and down, Newcastle likely to lose one or two of their real high level players, Villa could quite conceivably be a bit overwhelmed like we saw with NUFC last season and fall away and of course Man Utd will happen to just find from nowhere the usual cheeky 150 mil to spend on new players.
ETH has every chance of getting 3rd place if he can get a bit more consistancy in results.

Man of Honour
OP
Still no announcement from the club either way.

One thing to note - I think if they decide to keep him, they’ll have to offer him a contract extension too, as it expires after next season.

Don
These constant stories and briefings tell you one thing and that's Utd want to sack him. The world isn't constantly being told that you're doing a big review and deciding whether to keep your manager if you genuinely want or intend to keep that manager next season. These stories just undermine the manager and let everybody know, including the players, that you don't think he's very good.

The only possible way he stays is if Utd decide the right replacement isn't available and it's a case of better the devil you know until the right guy becomes available.

Soldato
Review still ongoing. Don't think we can read into it either way. I suppose they are looking at whether injuries etc can justify his many managerial failures this season.

Not quite sure I follow though, surely they could have already been reviewing the season up to the FA Cup final, and factor that in afterwards...

Good. Sounds like a rare example of common sense at the club.

Don't see any reason why you need to give him an extension. If you keep him, set your targets for the year, talk about extending the contract if he hits them.

Man of Honour
OP
These constant stories and briefings tell you one thing and that's Utd want to sack him. The world isn't constantly being told that you're doing a big review and deciding whether to keep your manager if you genuinely want or intend to keep that manager next season. These stories just undermine the manager and let everybody know, including the players, that you don't think he's very good.

The only possible way he stays is if Utd decide the right replacement isn't available and it's a case of better the devil you know until the right guy becomes available.

I was thinking that too. Ever since last Friday the silence from the club has been notable - they were clearly planning to sack him, and the further silence just proves it.

He even had to face down the world's media and answer constant questions about his future, and the club say nothing.

On top of that, the club have been interviewing managers with a view to replacing him... what more do you need to know.

Good. Sounds like a rare example of common sense at the club.

Don't see any reason why you need to give him an extension. If you keep him, set your targets for the year, talk about extending the contract if he hits them.

It sends the wrong message and undermines the authority of the manager if he's only got 1 year left, IMO. It would be a bit like putting him on trial, and that doesn't really work in these situations.

Caporegime
People will twist any article to suit their preconceived view. I think what is clear at this point is the media have no idea what is going on, a far cry from what happened under the Glazers. They're just repeating the same points in their daily Utd articles now for engagement.

Back
Top Bottom