Poll: Exit Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Results discussion and OcUK Exit Poll - Closing 8th July

Exit poll: Who did you vote for?

• Conservatives

Votes: 302 27.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 577 52.6%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 104 9.5%
  • Green

Votes: 13 1.2%
  • UKIP

Votes: 19 1.7%
  • Scottish National Party

Votes: 30 2.7%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 6 0.5%
  • Other

Votes: 46 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

fez

fez

Caporegime
This isn't just an issue in London though. London might be the most extreme example, but all over the country more and more young people must be looking around thinking they're only ever going to be funding the pockets of older generations in the form of rent.

I agree that its an issue all over the country but there is also an element of people taking their fate into their own hands. I'm sure its an exaggeration but all my parents generation talk about how they scraped by and had no spare money. They didn't eat out all the time, go out drinking etc. A lot of people want to live a great lifestyle and afford a house at the same time. I think the real issue is people running houses as a business. People who own multiple houses should be really heavily penalised for it. There are some things that should not be a licence to print money and housing is one of them.

The problem here is **** degrees as you put it, not the affordability of education. We should be encouraging a system where as many people as possible have the opportunity to get the skills and qualifications required to carry out productive, meaningful jobs without saddling themselves with a mountain of debt.

I totally agree but we have a society that has been conditioned to treat everyone equally when they are not equal. By saying that only the brightest should go to university or encouraging more trades, apprenticeships etc many people would complain that we are not allowing people to follow their dreams and that we are not creating a fair education system. Labour were the start of this idea that anyone can go to university and its snowballed from there.

So why not have a sensible, grown up debate about it - instead of what we've got now which is just to cripple it from the inside out? I'm all for cost-saving and budget cuts, but these have to come with a strategy for eliminating waste and allowing more efficient ways of getting things done. All I see from the Tories on the NHS is a policy designed to make it crumble.

My missus works in the NHS and yes it isn't run perfectly but the strain on the NHS is largely the patients. Its people misusing the services, its massively expensive treatments that prolong the life of those who don't even make a token effort to meet the NHS half way. Its the people that are on oxygen for lung related issues who still smoke, its the morbidly obese who won't stop eating.

It remains to be seen how much of an issue it will or won't be. You've got to look at it through the eyes of someone here who's struggling to get any work. Previously they could very easily arrange to go to Spain and work in a bar for example. This might not be completely off the cards with Brexit, but it certainly won't make things easier.

Those are people who want to go and experience another culture for a while or take an extended break, they are not the people who the government are supposed to be focussing on.

I think the reason I support the Tories more than Labour is because they simply seem more realistic in their handing of issues. Labour have a rose tinted view of society and what the effect of certain choices will be. The Tories are more ruthless but more rooted in the reality of things.

In a perfect world I would vote Labour. As it is, I think they would cripple the NHS beyond all recognition by making it a endless money pit until it simply break. I think their ideas on education are missing the core issues.

The big problem is that you simply cannot tell the truth as a politician. You can't tell people that if they want a good education system then they need to take an active role themselves, support the schools and encourage their children. You can't tell people that we are not all born equal and that we will not all get the same from life. You can't tell people that others deserve more than you do because they have worked hard their whole lives and you haven't. Its all a game of avoiding telling the truth by making our problems appear easily solvable (usually with money).

Soldato
I've been seeing the same rumblings coming from a few SF activists I'm well acquainted with today. I think though to take their seats they need would need some constitutional changes via at least EGM etc. to overturn the policy of Abstentionism to recognise the legitimacy of the UK Houses of Parliament.
I think seeing Sinn Fein in parliament would just about finish off some people here!

Soldato
I've been seeing the same rumblings coming from a few SF activists I'm well acquainted with today. I think though to take their seats they need would need some constitutional changes via at least EGM etc. to overturn the policy of Abstentionism to recognise the legitimacy of the UK Houses of Parliament.
That's the problem for SF, to sit and vote they would have to acknowledge the UK Parliament as sovereign and admit they are part of the "despised" UK Parliament system themselves. If they voted against a DUP backed policy and it got through anyway (don't forget, not all opposition MPS vote against every government bill every time), they would be open to being accused of being part of the Uk establishment so i think it highly unlikely and just wishful thinking.

Soldato
I honestly think there will be real reservation within the Conservative party about this DUP situation. The UK government has agreed to be impartial on NI matters, that goes out the window with this situation. Someone on Sky just said they could force issues on prosecution cases and we are underestimating how big a mistake this could be.

Man of Honour
Guy on Sky News saying doing a deal with the DUP isn't a good idea and could affect the Northern Ireland peace process.

Corbyn's manifesto was a pipe dream - I doubt he'd actually be able to deliver 5% of it - but at least it offered hope to people that things were going to get better. The Conservative manifesto is probably very sensible from a budgetary point of view, but not very inspiring. Like I said earlier, the British people have decided that they'd prefer politicians who lie to them and tell them everything's going to be OK, over honest ones who tell them of the necessary difficult decisions that must made.

It all started with Brexit, whats your point?

Soldato
I agree that its an issue all over the country but there is also an element of people taking their fate into their own hands. I'm sure its an exaggeration but all my parents generation talk about how they scraped by and had no spare money. They didn't eat out all the time, go out drinking etc. A lot of people want to live a great lifestyle and afford a house at the same time. I think the real issue is people running houses as a business. People who own multiple houses should be really heavily penalised for it. There are some things that should not be a licence to print money and housing is one of them.

I totally agree but we have a society that has been conditioned to treat everyone equally when they are not equal. By saying that only the brightest should go to university or encouraging more trades, apprenticeships etc many people would complain that we are not allowing people to follow their dreams and that we are not creating a fair education system. Labour were the start of this idea that anyone can go to university and its snowballed from there.

My missus works in the NHS and yes it isn't run perfectly but the strain on the NHS is largely the patients. Its people misusing the services, its massively expensive treatments that prolong the life of those who don't even make a token effort to meet the NHS half way. Its the people that are on oxygen for lung related issues who still smoke, its the morbidly obese who won't stop eating.

Those are people who want to go and experience another culture for a while or take an extended break, they are not the people who the government are supposed to be focussing on.

I think the reason I support the Tories more than Labour is because they simply seem more realistic in their handing of issues. Labour have a rose tinted view of society and what the effect of certain choices will be. The Tories are more ruthless but more rooted in the reality of things.

In a perfect world I would vote Labour. As it is, I think they would cripple the NHS beyond all recognition by making it a endless money pit until it simply break. I think their ideas on education are missing the core issues.

The big problem is that you simply cannot tell the truth as a politician. You can't tell people that if they want a good education system then they need to take an active role themselves, support the schools and encourage their children. You can't tell people that we are not all born equal and that we will not all get the same from life. You can't tell people that others deserve more than you do because they have worked hard their whole lives and you haven't. Its all a game of avoiding telling the truth by making our problems appear easily solvable (usually with money).
This is too much common sense for a political argument, you should be ashamed!!

Soldato
I honestly think there will be real reservation within the Conservative party about this DUP situation. The UK government has agreed to be impartial on NI matters, that goes out the window with this situation. Someone on Sky just said they could force issues on prosecution cases and we are underestimating how big a mistake this could be.

Whats the alternative? This is just a prelude to another election.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom